Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

The track settings seem to be associated with a specific instance of the KAL. If you remove it and place the exact same one back on the craft, it retains its settings. But if you copy it, the new one is blank. I tried to examine the craft file to see how the settings were recorded, but couldn't figure it out. I was thinking if I could find the relevant text I could copy it.

So, after a long time, I'm back to reviewing your entries. Let's get to it :)

13 hours ago, ZZetho said:

mission report for sts 1a

Glad to see you managed to resolve your reentry difficulties and got the shuttle safely to the ground! The aesthetics are properly mad, for example the curved-glued-together ET, and your machine seems to have lots of excess d-V to go pretty much anywhere it pleases, I'm curious how far you'll be able to get in the missions before a redesign is neccessary. The d-V numbers from the screenshots are a bit weird, but I suppose that's caused by the jet engines.

So, congratulations, here's your first badge:

YgXYW8T.jpg?1

Good job, pilot!

12 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

STS Minmus 1

Not surprised you are the one coming to claim the badge first :) Very nice rover design, and it seems the universe was kind to you, placing quite a sweet ore spot in the plains. I love the rover design, and the pinpoint KSC landing, as is usual on your part. One small question though - you emited the additional CommSat release around Minmus - was that intentional, or did you just miss that part in the mission requirements?

In any case, here's the first Minmus badge awarded:

NVvkGzx.png?1

Congratulations!

12 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Manual on how to be entertained for an evening ( now with more shuttles!!!!1!! ):

I did not have the chance to play with the new robotics stuff too much, so I'm not really sure how impressive this is, but my guess is "very" :) This is exactly what I was hoping would appear here, very nice! :) 

Michal.don

2 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Not surprised you are the one coming to claim the badge first :) Very nice rover design, and it seems the universe was kind to you, placing quite a sweet ore spot in the plains. I love the rover design, and the pinpoint KSC landing, as is usual on your part. One small question though - you emited the additional CommSat release around Minmus - was that intentional, or did you just miss that part in the mission requirements?

In any case, here's the first Minmus badge awarded:

NVvkGzx.png?1

Congratulations!

Thanks Michal ! :)

I was surprised to see that they fixed the autostrut issue on wheels which forbade their use on top of robotic parts ! It will be certainly easier to load usefull rovers inside the bays with larger wheelbase.

The comsat was added to the mission, if you check the second pic of 2_ Minmus, we meet again ! I can provide a screenshot from the tracking station if you want me to, I just not included relays maneuvers around Minmus since it's almost free dV :)

37 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

The comsat was added to the mission, if you check the second pic of 2_ Minmus, we meet again !

Oh, I don't know how I could miss that...

Sorry about that, your entry is hereby promoted to the commander level! :) 

rKkpd2k.png?1

Michal.don

EDIT: And you get to choose a screenshot to be shown in the mission profile in the OP, which one would you like there? :)

Edited by michal.don

22 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Oh, I don't know how I could miss that...

Sorry about that, your entry is hereby promoted to the commander level! :)

No problem :) It was just a lone picture between 350 others :D

23 minutes ago, michal.don said:

EDIT: And you get to choose a screenshot to be shown in the mission profile in the OP, which one would you like there? :)

Thanks you ! What would you prefer, the rover, the shuttle, both ? I can load a save and take other pics

9 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Thanks you ! What would you prefer, the rover, the shuttle, both ? I can load a save and take other pics

I'll leave that up to you, you can pick one of the screenshots from the mission, or take a new one just for this purpose - as long as the picture is pretty and has Minmus in it :D 

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

I'm not really sure how impressive this is

Duh, I'd say it looks cool, but it is not practical at all ( a KMU would have done the job a thousand times by now ).  The main reason to take the hard way is to learn how robotics work. :) 

22 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

Duh, I'd say it looks cool, but it is not practical at all

We're building massive winged contraptions here and flying them to Mun and Minmus... I don't think practicality is the name of the game here :D 

14 minutes ago, michal.don said:

We're building massive winged contraptions here and flying them to Mun and Minmus... I don't think practicality is the name of the game here :D 

Winged contraptions are the best kind of contraptions, atmosphere present or not! :D  ( I miss more of them on the KSP2 trailer btw )

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

I'll leave that up to you, you can pick one of the screenshots from the mission, or take a new one just for this purpose - as long as the picture is pretty and has Minmus in it :D 

I think this one looks good !

sVG85hq.jpg

Spoiler

[  img]https://i.imgur.com/sVG85hq.jpg[/img  ]

Here is my Mun STS-1 mission!

full album

launch and munar insertion

Spoiler

q0mjWFY.png

udsCkbV.png

HcthxpP.png

sGDKqin.png

1Usqrf5.png

munar operations

Spoiler

dkVcNpx.png

KExENq3.png

9OXSAHM.png

Z4QN4hL.png

weird science...?

Spoiler

msJ9Tc3.png

hx5gle2.png

cXqX1Ye.png

S͕͓̦̟̥͍͖ͣ ͘C̟̝̲̹͈̖̾͐̀̓ͅ ̴̺̦̪̹̄͐̾̾I͂ ̰̜̤͉͡Êͥͪͥ͏̮̹̪̜͉̖ͅ ̨̣ͦN̺̎̂̆͡ ̤̽ͤͪͭ̽ͪ͜ͅC̅̓̾ ̝͚̥͇ͩE̷̹̱̥̘͇̩̲

reentry and landing

Spoiler

34xGwwc.png

TMvmmzR.png

ujFrYZF.png

JdVnpy6.png

3vXn5Uh.png

gratuitous explosions

Spoiler

TnjeFtq.png

xJZmS61.png

p9rlAmS.png

22 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

The servos are okay during re-entry ? I've never tried to fly something with nacelles, must be cool :p

I talked about it a few pages ago. They're ok now, but it took some R&D to get it to work right. (TLDR: lock the servos, autostruts will work when locked, use action groups liberally.)

However, having the nacelles way outboard like that puts a lot of stress on the parts. I originally planned to mount launch boosters to the nacelles, but it turns out that meganewtons of thrust at the end of a long lever isn't the best idea ever. And besides that, there were the kraken attacks. And finally Nervs are just really long.

Munmoth looks cool, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. If I do continue to use the rotating nacelles, I'll have to bring them closer in. Or I might switch back to the fixed vertical engines I used for the asteroid mission.

Mission report for STS 2a.

https://imgur.com/a/hkOVwbK

For this one i'm trying for commander rank what with the 3 satellites, 350 km orbit and landing on the runway.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:42 PM, michal.don said:

I'm curious how far you'll be able to get in the missions before a redesign is necessary. 

In the initial version of this shuttle i got as far as Jool but could only get as far back as Duna and then crash landed and now Bob and Valentina are stuck on Duna. :( 

modlist: JKWm1qX.jpg

Edited by ZZetho
beacuse its me

On 8/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, sturmhauke said:

Here is my Mun STS-1 mission!

Wow, it seems that during my absence I forgot the size of shuttles some of you fly here :) The engine pod design seems to be working fine, I'm just curious - what engines are those? I don't recognize them, are they from a mod? Regarding the missions, there are no complaints or questions on my part, very good job!

4sNovfh.jpg?1

On 8/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, ZZetho said:

Mission report for STS 2a.

Well, in this one, I do have some complaints. While the sats are placed equidistantly, they are not placed in a geostationary orbit (which is the important part here). So, I can not award you the badge for this mission. However, if the sats have enough juice in them, they could just raise the orbit by themselves. If that's not the case, I'm afraid you'll have to refly the mission. Sorry. I'll wait with the STS-3 review until this one is sorted out :) 

Michal.don

13 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Wow, it seems that during my absence I forgot the size of shuttles some of you fly here :) The engine pod design seems to be working fine, I'm just curious - what engines are those? I don't recognize them, are they from a mod? Regarding the missions, there are no complaints or questions on my part, very good job!

4sNovfh.jpg?1

Oh I started using Restock, those are just Nervs with different art.

4 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Oh I started using Restock, those are just Nervs with different art.

Ah, that explains that :) Just wondering - how does the stock d-V calculator handle the rotating engines? Is there an issue with the calculation, or does it work fine, regardless how the engines are rotated?

5 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Ah, that explains that :) Just wondering - how does the stock d-V calculator handle the rotating engines? Is there an issue with the calculation, or does it work fine, regardless how the engines are rotated?

Seems to work fine. I did have to mount a tank to the servo first, and then an adapter plate to the tank, and then the engines. Without the tank, the game seems to get confused about fuel flow - it still actually flows to the engines, but doesn't show up when you toggle the fuel flow display, and throws off the dV calculations. That's just from crossing the servo without a tank in place though, the rotation doesn't matter.

23 hours ago, michal.don said:

Well, in this one, I do have some complaints. While the sats are placed equidistantly, they are not placed in a geostationary orbit (which is the important part here). So, I can not award you the badge for this mission. However, if the sats have enough juice in them, they could just raise the orbit by themselves. If that's not the case, I'm afraid you'll have to refly the mission. Sorry. I'll wait with the STS-3 review until this one is sorted out :) 

fixed it! :) 

https://imgur.com/a/zFxXwvY

Final touches in progress...

Before wasting a load of time trying to figure out how the shuttle survived your average RyanAir landing, only to find out that "rigid attachments" were more powerful than expected :P