Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

A station with room for 5 kerbals, antenna and docking port can be build with 4 parts but I wouldn't name the result a 'station' :P

Of course but that's why the challenge is about landing different modules in my opinion :p Alone they're just okay but together it's a functionning outpost !

5 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Of course but that's why the challenge is about landing different modules in my opinion :p Alone they're just okay but together it's a functionning outpost !

I guess it depends on how you define a module. In my eyes, a rover and an EEV are no modules...they are just a rover and an EEV^^

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I guess it depends on how you define a module. In my eyes, a rover and an EEV are no modules...they are just a rover and an EEV^^

I agree I meant that in a sense they are different semi-autonomous parts which once combined form the requested outpost. But to me a hab module is just that, a simple hab module which need other parts to fullfill its mission :p

Maybe I'm just used to design small complementary modules, because of those various challenges about lighter mass and modularity :p

Edited by Kerbolitto

1 minute ago, Kerbolitto said:

I agree I meant that in a sense they are different semi-autonomous parts which once combined form the requested outpost. But to me a hab module is just that, a simple hab module which need other parts to fullfill its mission :p

Right, that's why I've build a second module so the hab module will contain the crew, a lab and a service module (fuel cells, batteries, fuel tanks) and the science module contains the experiments, a drill, ore tank, ISRU etc...

Actually, I should add some more functionallity to the rover, right now, it is just a toy^^

dbuurlC.png

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Right, that's why I've build a second module so the hab module will contain the crew, a lab and a service module (fuel cells, batteries, fuel tanks) and the science module contains the experiments, a drill, ore tank, ISRU etc...

Actually, I should add some more functionallity to the rover, right now, it is just a toy^^

dbuurlC.png

Wow you got a bigger cargo bay than me xD !

How do you dock your modules on the ground ?

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Correct. I've tried to turn around the cargo bays and just drop the modules but it doesn't fit.

Since I used up some fuel stored in the module, the whole thing became inbalanced but you get the idea:

Oh yeah so that's a tiny skycrane, I thought of a big X structure with an engine at each end. Did you try to modulate thrust on the fly to level your module ?

2 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Oh yeah so that's a tiny skycrane, I thought of a big X structure with an engine at each end. Did you try to modulate thrust on the fly to level your module ?

No more space left in the cargo bay for a full size skycrane ;)

Actually, I did some adjustments (took me 4 or 5 tries) but at this time, I already  declared the try as invalid so I didn't care much about it and just tried to get the module out of the cargo bay so I can go for the return trip.

STS Mun 2

I finally finished STS Mun 2 3 & 4. Here's what happenned during STS Mun2 mission :)

Part 1 : Take off, Mun injection, landing

ho7tld.jpg

shpx30.jpg

kd3fvl.jpg

Spoiler

Mun maneuver : The final landing site is a bit more inclined

94v6wj.jpg

Landing : I had to use Bobcats to slow down a bit

nazi16.jpg

Part 2 : Deployment, Take off and return maneuver

vzf5iv.jpg

wzkp7f.jpg

s7punp.jpg

Spoiler

After deploying the hab module using an inverted cargo bay, the shuttle is ready to take off ! I lighted Bobcats again to pitch up and gain speed, this was not much needed because there's a tiny bump south of the outpost which I used for all 3 missions to bounce the shuttle :D.

3j9215.jpg

Return maneuver : quite simple, Ap was put around 1.5x Kerbin-Mun distanceand I planned a retrograde up here

bx83j8.jpg

Part 3 : Aerobraking, landing on Kerbin

bvjelv.jpg

qkvzo6.jpg

uzn5yu.jpg

Spoiler

Aerobraking : I almost deorbited on the first pass, the shuttle is very heat-resistand and I managed to pull 2G at 40 000m, Ap after exiting the atmosphere was down to 90 000m !

hr7i0c.jpg

Circularization burn :

fvp13c.jpg

Deorbit procedure 7 minutes later ..

y4ltu7.jpg

Getting down on KSC, deorbiting sequence is almost done at this point :

p8phi4.jpg

Flare before landing, flight speed is very low which is really enjoyable compared to the first iteration of this Artisan shuttle ..!

isyubi.jpg

I'll post Mun 3 & 4 once I landed both shuttles :)

Edited by Kerbolitto

STS Mun 3

This time, Hadsy and Jorhan deliver a cool rover to the Mun outpost !

I messed up with this one as I launched the shuttle with maximum fuel load which was a lot of dead weight .. But I managed to complete the mission with even lower TWR than usual.

0oeada.jpg

oewk5a.jpg

10eo0b.jpg

Spoiler

Stage 2 :

aprfc2.jpg

Mun maneuver :

lzwo7t.jpg

Capture around Mun, had to wait 1 day before deorbiting above the outpost :

2op4o8.jpg

Deorbit maneuver :

ezvtpc.jpg

Slowly putting the landing zone next to the outpost, had to burn almost vertical during the whole deorbit because of extremly low TWR :

cdpx7f.jpg

Again, had to light Bobcats to wipe something like 100m/s before touchdown :

s3gmd3.jpg

xpqbgz.jpg

3gv31y.jpg

k1nrnh.jpg

STS Mun 4 deorbited almost at the same time so both shuttles were sitting next to each other during deployement :)

Spoiler

Take-off :

ayazcw.jpg

Return maneuver : Quite complicated due to the high inclination, I used a Mun slingshot to push Ap and lower inclination as I feared that the ship might be low on dV. I also included a change of plan later to zeroing on KSC (at least that was the plan)

yfthbq.jpg

xrtd0m.jpg

sssgdy.jpg

61pn7d.jpg

Spoiler

First aerobraking : At this point, STS Mun 4 has landed since more than 10 days ! :D

m616ff.jpg

Second aerobraking needed :

mwkftq.jpg

I saw an opportunity to directly land on KSC during second aerobraking by just gliding really high :

5qk90d.jpg

I finally decided to land on the desert runway because I had enough speed to change direction and point south to try that, first time I land on this thing ! :o

bx4hul.jpg

After the south turn, speed is quite low but there's still enough altitude to gently glide on the airfield :

8tx8kg.jpg

Flare before touch down, I did not expect the runway to be that short :p

zyv119.jpg

Bonus pic : Rover ops !

7p7r0r.jpg

8aygik.jpg

h1mupk.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

STS Mun 4

This time, Erivis and Wilwell are bringing an ascent vehicle which will allow all 6 Kerbonauts at the outpost to return on Kerbin surface safely !

8h9il5.jpg

g5kfyv.jpg

q74pbd.jpg

Spoiler

Mun injection maneuver :

bi3ied.jpg

Mun capture :

ajr0np.jpg

Deorbit procedure :

fzjj1s.jpg

A bit more finess during deorbiting : : I'm using a node to estimate how long I need to burn to kill all velocity

svsdmn.jpg

q72iie.jpg

Spoiler

Take off :

c6t7gb.jpg

STS Mun 4 took off just after 3 :

2cso2t.jpg

Return maneuver : Quite simple this time, escape Mun gravity and retroburn above Kerbin

w93csx.jpg

kowmyb.jpg

wvagss.jpg

ev3qta.jpg

Spoiler

Aerobraking :

zyky50.jpg

Post aerobraking maneuver, Pe above atmosphere :

vq6qh7.jpg

Re-entry : The orbit being elliptical, I just set an agressive deorbiting maneuver next to KSC

oudb12.jpg

The angle being quite steep, I had to wipe a lot of velocity in a short period of time :

874b1t.jpg

After threatening the stick, I was too slow in front of KSC so I just touched the runway after rolling a bit downhill :D

1afbu7.jpg

Part 4 : Returning all 6 Kerbals !

w1mdla.jpg

nd5zqe.jpg

898eb0.jpg

The design is a bit unusual but it had to fit inside the cargobay, obviously I put the pylon in the wrong way so it stuck to the ship :o ! Also, you might spot the second capsule on the picture above, just on the left lower corner !

Spoiler

Take off :

s1jq83.jpg

Return maneuver : Again I used a Mun flyby to lower Pe a bit

bgcwkk.jpg

Final retroburn : Almost out of fuel O_o

sjw8zf.jpg

Both capsules on Kerbin surface : I managed to break the heatshield and fuel tank because I just warped of boredom once the main chute deployed ..!

ngbaa6.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

11 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

This time, Erivis and Wilwell are bringing an ascent vehicle which will allow all 6 Kerbonauts at the outpost to return on Kerbin surface safely !

Well executed series of missions, and a great out-of-the-box thinking on the EEV design :) I like the compact designs, and using two separate capsules looks great in the screenshots! So, you're cleared to continue on the LOP-G, here's your badge:

nc5yhi3.jpg?1

Michal.don

6 hours ago, michal.don said:

Well executed series of missions, and a great out-of-the-box thinking on the EEV design :) I like the compact designs, and using two separate capsules looks great in the screenshots! So, you're cleared to continue on the LOP-G, here's your badge:

nc5yhi3.jpg?1

Michal.don

Glad you liked it ! I wanted something simple and easy to deploy.. I feel like I cheated a bit using Soyouz capsules but I'm sure another design using regular command pod would be possible :)

4 hours ago, michal.don said:

Also.... testing a new mission, It's sure about time I released a new one. I just have to check a thing or two, to make sure it's not too complicated :)

What could it be? :)

quBO1GE.png?1

Surface outpost on Gilly, space station + relays around Eve, maybe an Eve ascent vehicle with 1 or 2 seats at the top so the lifter could be light enough to fit a cargo bay ?

Not sure about how many missions you can conduct on Eve's surface, heat shield / parachutes weights a lot and take lots of room ..!

Edited by Kerbolitto

15 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

Surface outpost on Gilly, space station + relays around Eve, maybe an Eve ascent vehicle with 1 or 2 seats at the top so the lifter could be light enough to fit a cargo bay ?

Not sure about how many missions you can conduct on Eve's surface, heat shield / parachutes weights a lot and take lots of room ..!

These things might come later, expect something along the lines of "Duna STS-1", with a small twist :)

15 hours ago, Artienia said:

On the Space station , i am sturuggling to get all the stuff in the bay. can you not use the cargo bay?

Could you be a bit more specific please? I might allow some creative use of "fairing payload bay", but no slapping huge payloads on the LV, that's a no-go.

15 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

I feel like I cheated a bit using Soyouz capsules

Not cheating at all, Soyuz capsules are fair game in my view ;)

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

These things might come later, expect something along the lines of "Duna STS-1", with a small twist :)

Could you be a bit more specific please? I might allow some creative use of "fairing payload bay", but no slapping huge payloads on the LV, that's a no-go.

Not cheating at all, Soyuz capsules are fair game in my view ;)

Well i mean slapping itt inside a fairing and either put it on the LV or the shuttle. Both would be fine for me

1 hour ago, Artienia said:

Well i mean slapping itt inside a fairing and either put it on the LV or the shuttle. Both would be fine for me

Sounds like we both had a similar idea...  

I've done this for the STS-Test 4 to lift the station to orbit without using a rocket (because this is the shuttle challenge and using rockets feels out of place :P ).  It's not part of the actual mission, which is still in progress, therefore the "launch 0" name, but I plan to reuse the design in future missions if it's allowed.

21 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

Sounds like we both had a similar idea...  

I've done this for the STS-Test 4 to lift the station to orbit without using a rocket (because this is the shuttle challenge and using rockets feels out of place :P ).  It's not part of the actual mission, which is still in progress, therefore the "launch 0" name, but I plan to reuse the design in future missions if it's allowed.

Rofl what kind of monstrosity is that ?

5 hours ago, michal.don said:

What about using a split shuttle with a fairing between the cockpit and engines, and redocking both modules after unloading ?