michal.don

Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - NEW MISSION 21.9.2018, NEW "TEST PILOT" MISSION 1.12.2018

22 minutes ago, michal.don said:

STS-6T is officialy go,

Ouuuyeah!

So, with this mission focusing on the booster, I take it is combinable with any other mission but the STS-1T?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I already have two different ideas how to recover even the huge booster of my interplanetary shuttle....this will be fun :) Actually three ideas if refuelling and flying back the booster is a valid option :D

Well, I'm not going to ban anything, and feel free to show multiple methods ;) 

4 hours ago, Ozelui said:

So, with this mission focusing on the booster, I take it is combinable with any other mission but the STS-1T?

To be honest, I did not think of that... But I do not see any reason why not, you just need to complete the pre-requisite missions to get the badge :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, michal.don said:

To be honest, I did not think of that... But I do not see any reason why not, you just need to complete the pre-requisite missions to get the badge :)

You're completely right!   I had my next launch in mind, and only considered the matter from a "mechanical" point of view. :D   Of course, the rest of the test missions should be required. 

Funkyndustries is back in business! RL doesn't give me a lot of time for KSP, so I had to get rid of all unnecessary orbits and play-arounds for STS-5T. Straight to the Mun and back!

One question though: Are the test missions ment to be accomplished with the same craft? I'm asking because my Energija already has recoverable boosters and I'd just need to finish my catamaran for STS-6T to bring them back. The STS boosters aren't recoverable by design.

Edited by funk
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, funk said:

Nice mission :) Is there some kind of a multi-docking port on top of the MK1-3 command module? Looks like a combination of the jr. and 'regular' sized clamp-o-tron.  

Also, which sunflare mod do you use? It looks amazing!

40 minutes ago, funk said:

Are the test missions ment to be accomplished with the same craft?

I used 3 different shuttles in the test missions so far and nobody cared so I guess it's fine to use multiple designs ;)

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Looks like a combination of the jr. and 'regular' sized clamp-o-tron.  

This! Just clipped into each other.

6 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Also, which sunflare mod do you use? It looks amazing!

Sunflares of Maar - UrsaMinor. At least the gamedata folder says so. I copied it from my 1.4.3 install.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, funk said:

Funkyndustries is back in business! RL doesn't give me a lot of time for KSP, so I had to get rid of all unnecessary orbits and play-arounds for STS-5T. Straight to the Mun and back!

That's an example of fine piloting skills, especially the very steep reentry and a precise landing. I'm curious though - did you nail in on your first try, or was some iterative trying needed to get the landing location right? :) In any case, great mission, and a well-deserved badge for you. Congratulations!

7zmbGnp.png?1

16 hours ago, funk said:

One question though: Are the test missions ment to be accomplished with the same craft?

No, you can design a new shuttle for every mission, if you'd like :) Or modify and existing one to suit the specific mission. No problem with that.

Michal.don

• Like 2

9 hours ago, michal.don said:

That's an example of fine piloting skills, especially the very steep reentry and a precise landing. I'm curious though - did you nail in on your first try, or was some iterative trying needed to get the landing location right? :) In any case, great mission, and a well-deserved badge for you. Congratulations!

Thx for the batch. I did one  test flight mostly for testing the angle between launch site and mun. It was fine and I could have finished the mission, but at one point instead of activating the engine, apollo decided to decouple the service module.

For the landing itself it wasn't that hard to get it right. I knew that the time to periapsis at Kerbin has to be less than a multiple of six hours, when setting up the free return trajectory. The second correction was just eyeballing the time between PE and the position of KSC. In fact I overcorrected a little bit and the reentry was almost too short, imho slight overshoots are more forgiving.

• Like 1

I can't come up with a name for my shuttle. Anybody got ideas? (See post on previous page for what the shuttle looks like.) If you make a name that I use, I'll give you a virtual cookie, and you can give me some dumb mission to do if you want. :D

6 minutes ago, EdwardB3020 said:

Can I use mechjeb for docking my shuttles please? For this contest

Welcome to the challenge!

Sure, the rules state that only the atmospheric flight has to be done manually, MechJeb is fine for the orbital operations.

Looking forward to seeing your first entry,

Michal.don

For STS-3 is there a downloadable telescope I should use or do I design my own?

1 hour ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

It's a DIY project, keep in mind that you transport the solar panels separate from the structure and attach them in space using a manned maneuvering unit (MMU) also of your own design

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hoioh said:

It's a DIY project, keep in mind that you transport the solar panels separate from the structure and attach them in space using a manned maneuvering unit (MMU) also of your own design

Thanks. My save has just corrupted its self, so it might be a while, as I've lost ALL of my crafts, so I must now re-make the shuttle.

2 hours ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

Thanks. My save has just corrupted its self, so it might be a while, as I've lost ALL of my crafts, so I must now re-make the shuttle.

That should not be a neccessity, you can copy your craft files from the save folder over to a new save even after the actual save file has been corrupted

10 hours ago, hoioh said:

That should not be a neccessity, you can copy your craft files from the save folder over to a new save even after the actual save file has been corrupted

Nope, when I went to the saves folder inside the save nothing was there. I don't know what happened. Luckily for the shuttle I have plenty of screenshots so I can re-build it. I just wont have any of my satellites anymore, or the Dres space station I was working on. But again, I have screenshots and video, so I can re-build and use hyperedit.

Edited by JacobTheFoxx
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

As @hoioh said, there used to be a "standard" telescope for download, but no more - the payload design is a part of this challenge now. Read the requirements for orbital assembly carefully ;)

Michal.don

• Like 2

Its been hard coming back to this game, but I've finally designed a shiny Skylab space-station and I'll try to fly both missions those days .. :) Also I did not notice the new SRB recovery challenge, I think it's a very good idea ! :D

• Like 4

I've been busy running my own challenge, and family stuff. But I'm still in the shuttle program, it's just been delayed a bit. :P

• Like 2