Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

18 minutes ago, hoioh said:

Try doing a video next time, it makes it a lot harder on yourself

(Funny meme)

(I use GeForce experience to record, it's pretty stable and records directly from the GPU so it's not that hard on your system, if you have an Nvidia card)

i don't think people want to see constant spam of F5 and F9 on the screen

Also i dont know how to do it, KSP lags already without any background stuff

also am lazy

44 minutes ago, Artienia said:

i wanna make more STS Missions but i think you guys are already irritated and i feel somewhere alongg the line i broke a rule and i would have to redo everything again

Just keep going, we'll keep commenting. If you've made an error, all you have to do is re-do that specific mission.

Just have fun!

Just now, hoioh said:

It's pretty good, now put some stars on those badges! (AKA "earn em")

I am just waitin' for dan to give it to me (if i was a good boy)
Would you mind sharing some tips how to do the asteroid one?

1 minute ago, Artienia said:

I am just waitin' for dan to give it to me (if i was a good boy)
Would you mind sharing some tips how to do the asteroid one?

haha!

For the asteroid one, first, watch a tutorial on asteroid intercept, second, build a shuttle (that flies well)  with a claw directly on the center of mass (maybe do a practise run with a test weight), last, intercept, capture, bring into orbit and land your asteroid!

Just now, hoioh said:

haha!

For the asteroid one, first, watch a tutorial on asteroid intercept, second, build a shuttle (that flies well)  with a claw directly on the center of mass (maybe do a practise run with a test weight), last, intercept, capture, bring into orbit and land your asteroid!

Won't drag just absolutelly kill me?

A couple of teasers, looking for feedback about this thing:

Spoiler

Blueprints:

O0K9Gdd.gif

The solar pannels are bigger than the original, but i don't know if thats too big.  For now it's fully stock except for a couple of hidden TACLS supply tanks.  All the struts around the command module and the telescope mount are yet to be built, it's probably the most complex part of the ship.

LFjlkRj.png

5wVqYDX.png

And because we are already making alternate history, why not a new STS:

Spoiler

Starclipper or bust!  Or, as the KSC engineers call it:  "totally not a refurbished SSTO" :D 

pw8wM6p.jpg

KJ3IffV.jpg

zbVGm8O.jpg

gwJgAP1.jpg

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@Ozelui Your Skylab looks really cool, good job :) How are you ging to transport it, especially the solar panels? Or do you choose the cheat option for this? ;)

Thanks!  That's a good question, maybe the solar arrays could be transformed into a retractable structure, and then a big shuttle could take it to orbit...  I didn't consider that option yet, but it should work very well for transportation and it's not that complex using mods.   If the solar arrays stay as they are, probably with alt-f12.

Hey guys., in my opinion the payload of the shuttle shouldn't re restricted by the stock-mod badge.

aka you can put modded stuff in there and still get stock bage, of course shuttle and Launch system needeing to be stock

What do you think? the shuttle flies the same if it has a mod 30ton stuff and a stock 30ton stuff in it. As long as the shuttle is stock (and launch system), you get a stock badge

open to diff opinions

Edited by Artienia

4 minutes ago, Artienia said:

Hey guys., in my opinion the payload of the shuttle shouldn't re restricted by the stock-mod badge.

aka you can put modded stuff in there and still get stock bage, of course shuttle and Launch system needeing to be stock

What do you think? the shuttle flies the same if it has a mod 30ton stuff and a stock 30ton stuff in it. As long as the shuttle is stock (and launch system), you get a stock badge

open to discussion

Depends on the mission...is it about getting a specific weight into orbit, I think it is fine.
But if you want to use Mod parts on your next mission (STS 5 - 8) or any other mission which requires a specific payload design, I have to disagree. The payload design is an important part of the mission and mod parts can make it easier for you.
Right now, I'm struggeling a lot with the Mun base and i.e. Planetary Base System would make it a lot easier to fit all the stuff into the cargo bay and even more important, to assemble the parts on the surface of the Mun.

You are right, a 30t payload will (almost) fly in the same way like another 30t payload but maybe it does not fit into the cargo bay ;)

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Depends on the mission...is it about getting a specific weight into orbit, I think it is fine.
But if you want to use Mod parts on your next mission (STS 5 - 8) or any other mission which requires a specific payload design, I have to disagree. The payload design is an important part of the mission and mod parts can make it easier for you.
Right now, I'm struggeling a lot with the Mun base and i.e. Planetary Base System would make it a lot easier to fit all the stuff into the cargo bay and even more important, to assemble the parts on the surface of the Mun.

You are right, a 30t payload will (almost) fly in the same way like another 30t payload but maybe it does not fit into the cargo bay ;)

By that i mean minor parts. Forexample a Flat Adapter instead of a long one, a larger "connecct 6 ways" things etc. Mods (or parts) that don't influence the outcome a lot

7 minutes ago, Artienia said:

Forexample a Flat Adapter instead of a long one, a larger "connecct 6 ways" things etc. Mods (or parts) that don't influence the outcome a lot

But these parts would change the outcome. In my opinion, the only reasonable argument would be 'it looks nicer but it is not necesary' (like the science expermients I've recently put on my Cassini-Huygens probe).

As soon as you allow parts that will influnce the final payload 'a little' you have to define 'a little' because everyone else would start to ask about such parts. It is way easier to say 'no you can't' once and for everybody than to choose an individual solution for everyone who wants it.

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

But these parts would change the outcome. In my opinion, the only reasonable argument would be 'it looks nicer but it is not necesary' (like the science expermients I've recently put on my Cassini-Huygens probe).

As soon as you allow parts that will influnce the final payload 'a little' you have to define 'a little' because everyone else would start to ask about such parts. It is way easier to say 'no you can't' once and for everybody than to choose an individual solution for everyone who wants it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

39 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I agree, stock is stock. Modded is modded.

But I'll add: there's no real difference in terms of worth of either of the badges. Most things are just as hard and some things are harder either way. For me it's a matter of wanting certain parts that stock simply does not offer and I can't be arsed to go build them myself

Wanting is the key word there, you dont need to use modded parts, but if you want to you are free to do so, it's just that you get a different badge so as to keep comparing apples to apples and pears to pears. Both are fruit, both are sweet, they're just not the same

2 minutes ago, hoioh said:

But I'll add: there's no real difference in terms of worth of either of the badges. Most things are just as hard and some things are harder either way. For me it's a matter of wanting certain parts that stock simply does not offer and I can't be arsed to go build them myself

Wanting is the key word there, you dont need to use modded parts, but if you want to you are free to do so, it's just that you get a different badge so as to keep comparing apples to apples and pears to pears. Both are fruit, both are sweet, they're just not the same

stock badge is best badge. stock badge master race

5 hours ago, hoioh said:

This. If the .craft can not be loaded in a stock install, then it's modded.

* except for the kerbal joint reinforcement mod, those can be  loaded but give interesting spaguetti results :cool:

Edited by Ozelui

2 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

What's the matter ?

My first base wasn't able to be assembled on the surface because the rovers got a really small base and tipped over as soon they accelerate just a tiny bit:

Spoiler

b8V3sGB.png

W7PqPSD.png

So I started building a new base and the design isn't finished yet, because the habitat module doesn't fit into the cargo bay. There isn't even yet a crane to lift the module out of the cargo bay :o

Spoiler

uc6sNjk.png

nF3Q5jt.png

4un1xoG.png

Well, I began to build the new design like 4 days agon, so I'm still confidet to solve the issues but it starts to be annoying :P Make one part to fit into the cargo bay and another one will poke through the walls... at least, the long design will be able to drive around on the Mun^^

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

My first base wasn't able to be assembled on the surface because the rovers got a really small base and tipped over as soon they accelerate just a tiny bit

I should post my STS Mun 2/3/4 even if michal did not review my STS 1, that might give you some ideas :).

Spoiler

4cpqjy.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto