Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I didn't bother trying to point the engines through the CoM.  I just attached all the boosters to the sides of my shuttle so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Well yeah, I mean I've done things like that before too:

Spoiler

eZ4IE8y.png

rvhR5i4.png

9uKI1I6.png

qUMw3ej.png

But that also has a tendency to tear things off if you aren't very careful about your separations:

Spoiler

icUI2xS.png

g4D8Ax3.png

I thought I'd try to make a semi-realistic shuttle for this series.

With a couple of SRM's, this thing can lift 40 tons fairly comfortably

STS-1B

https://imgur.com/a/QewvDHi         Corrected version: https://imgur.com/a/HkJckNn           Doubly Corrected version: https://imgur.com/a/XqCzhRh

Mods used:

Cormorant Aeronology

Bluedog Design Bureau

Edited by Petrovich

On 9/26/2018 at 3:02 PM, Ozelui said:

STS-T4

This took a while, but finally here are the reports for the skylab missions.  

What a station :) The docking port extension is quite wobbly, but the boost maneuver worked, so, why not. Beautifully complex mission, and an over-engineered design, what's not to like here ;)

Only one question - I can't find the part of the video where you dock the old hab part into the shuttle and take it back to Kerbin, could you please point that out for me?

Thanks!

On 9/30/2018 at 4:38 AM, Petrovich said:

Just found this challenge, but I love the idea of it!

I was inspired by this Grumman concept using S-IC stage variants: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=13574

STS-1:

Welcome to the challenge!

Nice to see an old concept brought to life! And in your version, it looks like a pretty capable machine, the launch stack took it almost all the way to orbit!

You also seem to manage precision landing pretty well, too, which is almost the hardest part of most of the shuttle missions here. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Here's the first badge, congratulations:

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

On 9/30/2018 at 4:30 PM, Kerbolitto said:

I've finally managed to complete my attempt at Jool STS Mission, which I combined with Jool5 Challenge ! This was a first to me because I've only landed on Vall once (one week ago :o) and I'm quite proud of my Artisan shuttle design which proved itself to be very sturdy and adaptative :D Jool is an amazing system and there's so many possibilities with all those moons ... I'll be back for sure :D

And another one completes the Laythe mission (one of us! one of us! one of us!)

With a twist of going a bunch of other places :) Great mission, creative transfer method (two shuttles docked? You don't see that every day), lots and lots of flybys and gravity assists and a Tylo landing, that's a serious achievement. There's downside, I have pretty much nothing left to plan for the Jool system.... :D 

Seriously though - very good job, and a very well earned badge:

RoJZC7l.jpg?1

On 9/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, sturmhauke said:

I've decided to take a crack at this series of challenges. Lots of good stuff already. I'm working on a Buran/Energia style system, with only OMS and jets on the orbiter and all the lift engines on the external boosters. It's not a replica or anything though. I'm using a bunch of mods, notably the entire Near Future suite.

Welcome to the challenge!

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on Buran, we haven't had that one here for a while.

Mods are no problem, just do not use any too overpowered engines. Anything else is fair game ;)

10 hours ago, Petrovich said:

With a couple of SRM's, this thing can lift 40 tons fairly comfortably

STS-1B

A solution to every problem - just add a few SRBs :) Good to see your shuttle has substantial payload capacity, and can fly pretty well even with cargo.

But before awarding the badge, I'll have to ask for a few more screenshots. Could you please provide screens showing:

- the final orbital parametres of the fuelpod orbit? (Ap and Pe to check the tolerances)

- the resource tab of the pod (just to make sure you did not use any fuel from the pod)

Thanks!

4 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

My entry should be up tomorrow- I'm going to use the classic American approach, as opposed to Buran.

Also do we HAVE to do 4-4R? I really want to crack on with station missions, and 4 will probably take a while.

Yes, the missions have to be completed in the correct order. This is an essential rule in this challenge. Don't worry, you'll get to stationbuilding soon :)

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don

4 minutes ago, michal.don said:

And another one completes the Laythe mission (one of us! one of us! one of us!)

With a twist of going a bunch of other places :) Great mission, creative transfer method (two shuttles docked? You don't see that every day), lots and lots of flybys and gravity assists and a Tylo landing, that's a serious achievement. There's downside, I have pretty much nothing left to plan for the Jool system.... :D 

Seriously though - very good job, and a very well earned badge:

Thanks a lot ! I'm very happy that I could have combined this challenge with a Jool5 :D ! I've only saw Laythe on videos and it's a fantastic planet .. The night lightning, small islands, oceans, ease of take-off .. Its so peacefull :)  Also landing and rolling take-off from Tylo are very ... interresting experiences !

I docked the 2 shuttles together because Jool5 require one and only launch but it certainly made things easier :) Should have done the same between Vall and Laythe ... >< ! Only thing that I regret is the ineffective com-network.

Thanks again, its this kind of challenges that pushes us to be more creative :)

33 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Only one question - I can't find the part of the video where you dock the old hab part into the shuttle and take it back to Kerbin, could you please point that out for me?

Thanks!

In the first video, between 3:50 and 4:10.

And at the very end of the video inside the cargo bay.

37 minutes ago, michal.don said:

What a station :) The docking port extension is quite wobbly, but the boost maneuver worked, so, why not. 

Yeah, I was surpired how wobbly the whole station was...  however, after using autostruts for all the docking ports, it became rock solid ( i.e. during the shuttle docking)

Edited by Ozelui

20 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

In the first video, between 3:50 and 4:10.

And at the very end of the video inside the cargo bay.

Yup, I'm an idiot :) Everything is correct, so, here's the badge:

mag5XYH.png?1

It seems I should design a new "test pilot" mission, pronto :)

Michal.don

Finished my STS-1T flight! I thought I posted this last night, but apparently I forgot to hit submit. Anyway...

My "Bustard" class shuttle is a Buran-type, with monoprop engines for the OMS. The tanks are empty for this mission. There's a bit of oxidizer on the resource tab, but that's just for the fuel cells.

I can give you a full parts mod list if you want - it's mostly the NF suite, KAX, Aircraft Plus, Tweakscale, and probably some stuff I've forgotten. I have HyperEdit installed but only for testing, I fly my real missions by hand.

full album: https://imgur.com/a/Idp2j0H

ngXBCwo.png

oVmca0m.png

lyPl6UL.png

On 9/30/2018 at 7:30 AM, Kerbolitto said:

gnkg2n.jpg

Tylo... Tylo took me some time :D First step was to dock the shuttles using as less dV as possible. Then the landing was hard because of low TWR (0.73). Then rolling take off was harder, took me lots of trials to find a perfect spot to pitch the ship. Then redocking to STS ST was impossible due to very high inclination. Only option after this landing was to re-unite around Laythe using its atmosphere to circularize both Artisans ! In the end I'm happy how things turned out, this was my very first touchdown on Tylo's surface and I learned a lot ! I built STS HE around Tylo's dV / TWR requirements but I somehow forgot that circularizing both ships would cost me a ton...

I think you are an incarnation of Jeb, because that is absolutely insane. Giant shuttle and low TWR?! Duuuuuuude.

17 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Finished my STS-1T flight! I thought I posted this last night, but apparently I forgot to hit submit. Anyway...

My "Bustard" class shuttle is a Buran-type, with monoprop engines for the OMS. The tanks are empty for this mission. There's a bit of oxidizer on the resource tab, but that's just for the fuel cells.

I can give you a full parts mod list if you want - it's mostly the NF suite, KAX, Aircraft Plus, Tweakscale, and probably some stuff I've forgotten. I have HyperEdit installed but only for testing, I fly my real missions by hand.

full album: https://imgur.com/a/Idp2j0H

ngXBCwo.png

oVmca0m.png

lyPl6UL.png

I think you are an incarnation of Jeb, because that is absolutely insane. Giant shuttle and low TWR?! Duuuuuuude.

Thanks bro :p TWR slowly increased as the Darts were pumping fuel but margins were tight .. Took me 5/6 trials to get it right, the hardest part was the rolling take-off : I rolled the shuttle more than 60km to find the perfect ramp >_<

Also nice mission ! I'll try it later once I recovered from all those Jool's mechanics :p

Edited by Kerbolitto

28 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

Thanks @michal.don!   

Perhaps my videos are too long?  As a rookie editor I never know what to cut out of the film.  Would the reports be easier for you to review if they were made with just screenshots?

I'm hardly an expert, but there are two basic techniques:

1. Divide the video into short clips, showing the most important moments. For instance, you might show a few seconds each at liftoff, booster separation, MECO and ET separation, orbital insertion, etc. The ascent between staging events is not as interesting and can be cut.

2. Speed up the footage, either overall or just for the boring parts. This can give a better sense of how everything fits together, but can also look weird if the video changes speed too much.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

I'm hardly an expert, but there are two basic techniques:

1. Divide the video into short clips, showing the most important moments. For instance, you might show a few seconds each at liftoff, booster separation, MECO and ET separation, orbital insertion, etc. The ascent between staging events is not as interesting and can be cut.

2. Speed up the footage, either overall or just for the boring parts. This can give a better sense of how everything fits together, but can also look weird if the video changes speed too much.

That's good advice, thanks.

I was doing both already, but maybe I could push a bit harder on both fronts.  After watching my last flight ( 13 min ) at double speed, I'd say it works fine for a review.  A bit accelerated but nothing too bad.  Will try that for the next one and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

It's kind of a pain, but imgur does have an interface for reordering album images before you publish. Once it's published you have to unpublish first though.

Anyway, it's a nice looking shuttle.

I had no idea! Thanks for the compliment on the shuttle- I can't get it  to equatorial orbit though which is a pain.

Edited by SiriusRocketry

16 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Well, an enormously large shuttle requires an enormously large aircraft :) Looks like you managed to design the contraption well, and fly the approach without a problem. So, a badge for you:

LOkYAUP.png?1

12 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Perhaps my videos are too long?  As a rookie editor I never know what to cut out of the film.  Would the reports be easier for you to review if they were made with just screenshots?

Well, I'll admit, I do not always have the time to watch the full videos. But if you are asking about a method to make the videoreports as short and clear as possible, I'd say it should consist of multiple short clips, each of them capturing an important part of the mission (launch, booster sep, circularization, rendezvous, shot of each payload, dockings, reentry, approach, landing...). But generally, videos are always more pleasant to review that pure screenshot reports :) 

8 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Demon to fly, and tricky to launch. The STS-1A Explorer mission can be seen here (images not in order)

Another newcomer, welcome :)

And another to fly a real-alike shuttle, I always like that one :) Congratulations on reaching your first orbit, thus completing your first mission! That's an important milestone.

There are a few things I'd like to point out though:

-as you stated, the screenshots are not in order. The first mission is easy to review, so it's not that much of a problem, but, please, try to get it right for the next missions. It can get really confusing.

-For the next missions, please, do not turn the HUD off in every screenshot. It makes judging the entries impossible. None of the screenshots shows your altitude and speed, and not one screenshots of map view is present, so I can't really see if you are in orbit.

-In this case, I can overlook the missing nose cone, but try to land intact the next time

-and the ominous "H"... I don't like to see Hyperedit in the missions, at all. And, speaking of that, are you using any mods? Again, impossible for me to see because of the missing HUD.

But, this being your first mission, I'm willing to overlook these minor issues, and award the badge. Please let me know about the mods you are using, so I can place you in the corret category ;)

Michal.don

10 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Well, an enormously large shuttle requires an enormously large aircraft :) Looks like you managed to design the contraption well, and fly the approach without a problem. So, a badge for you:

LOkYAUP.png?1

Woohoo, my first STS badge! Thanks!

Now I'm working on my Energia analog. It'll probably be a while until I'm happy with it. I'm debating making a microshuttle too, just to mix things up.

7 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Woohoo, my first STS badge! Thanks!

Oh, I did not even realize this was the first one, most folks dive straight in the STS-1a mission :) That being the case, serious congratulations to you, and I hope it's the first of many to come :) 

12 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

I had no idea! Thanks for the compliment on the shuttle- I can't get it  to equatorial orbit though which is a pain.

Best way I found is to upload them 1 at a time in reverse order. Works every time

EVE STS 1

I flew this mission last night and I'm now able to show you how a multi-stage rocket ended up being use as a giant suppository above Eve. Like most of the time with my probes, I don't cheat them around orbit. I just try to cover everything during the design phase and do a lot of saves during the actual mission :p

Part 1 : Ascent, Eve injection, capture

bf7x5t.jpg

46ku39.jpg

g1wc1m.jpg

Spoiler

Eve maneuver : using 2 Bobcats and 2 Nervs

tyumeq.jpg

First aerobraking : it was really hard because the Bobcats would continuously overheat as they are not well protected... Pe around 68k is I remember

dsyjem.jpg

New encounter with Eve 9 years later : this time coming a little bit slower ! :)

ng2xcs.jpg

Second aerobraking and capture : still very, very hot ..!

dx6ssz.jpg

Final orbit after 8/10 more aerobraking :

6n88rs.jpg

Part 2 : Deploying Heat-Missile

z8q58q.jpg

uou4ey.jpg

cn6yn4.jpg

In my mind, a probe going so low into the atmosphere had to capture., so I designed Heat-Missile with a fairing protecting a 2 stage rocket. Control surfaces and Vernor RCS inside the front cargo bay should have been used to bruteforce pitch up, then Hammer SRB would fire to quickly get into higher atmosphere, and finally the Spark would push the science experiments on a rendez-vous with the shuttle. What happenned is that coming down so fast from a highly elleptical orbit, the ship would have need 2 or 3 more pass to capture !

Spoiler

Heat-Missile stats : it also uses 2 detachable engine pods to deorbit.

wntcpn.jpg

Science experiments done around Pe (52k) :

23j4rf.jpg

Encounter maneuver with the shuttle after getting out of the atmosphere :

18ubf0.jpg

Part 3 : Recovering Heat-Missile experiments, landing on Kerbin

ulrih8.jpg

u2wcbh.jpg

glgyai.jpg

Shuttle cooling in the pool !

Spoiler

Return maneuver : Due to the elliptical orbit, I had to wait 49 days to leave Eve. Burn occured almost at Pe.

djpurb.jpg

Kerbin aerocapture : still very hot but much more manageable

tkghsf.jpg

Post capture maneuver : Had to burn to avoid a collision with the Mun ! This let the shuttle come down in a retrograde orbit.

sq3vys.jpg

Last second radial burn : I saw that I was almost coming on top of KSC after returning from the Mun ! :D

dmas0u.jpg

Sadly I forgot to take a screen from the runway approach as I usually do.

Edited by Kerbolitto