Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

14 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Hmmm.  Somehow my previous reply got eaten along the way.  I've completed the new Mun missions (2-4).  After entering a flat spin on each re-entry, I kept adding more vertical stabilizers at the back.  Not sure if I got enough on by the end, though.  Survived anyway :)

[imgur]ixq44[/imgur]

[imgur]zEwJH[/imgur]

[imgur]LU5km[/imgur]

I omitted a bunch of screenshots at launch, since literally every launch looked the same.  Just a different payload each time

Yo. Can't see pics. I believe that a) you can imbed albums just by sticking the link in and b) that uhh, those aren't valid BBCodes.

Albums under Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, BTW, I believe you need to make Munar orbit at least with the EEV to qualify for a badge

Edited by qzgy

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

Yo. Can't see pics. I believe that a) you can imbed albums just by sticking the link in and b) that uhh, those aren't valid BBCodes.

Also, BTW, I believe you need to make Munar orbit at least with the EEV to qualify for a badge

Argh, you're right--it's been a while since I've embedded imgur albums.

Actually, all the missions entered a Munar orbit before landing.  It's just that they all just happened to have a Pe near the previous landing zones, so the circularization burn ended at the exact moment when the de-orbit burn began :P

1 minute ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Argh, you're right--it's been a while since I've embedded imgur albums.

Actually, all the missions entered a Munar orbit before landing.  It's just that they all just happened to have a Pe near the previous landing zones, so the circularization burn ended at the exact moment when the de-orbit burn began :P

Hey, its ok. Kinda cool how nicely the whole base building thing worked out/

Also, maybe you didn't understand what I said. According to the badge description, you need to rescue the crew from the munar base with the EEV, the thing you brought in the last mission.

Duna STS-1. Boy I love shuttle missions. And trying to outdo everyone else.

Maiden of the Endurance Mini. I'm just wondering how overkill this is. Probably very.

Kinda missed the Space Center because I deorbited too early, it is a completely new design, so I'm still getting used to its flying characteristics.

My submission for STS-1a and 1b

Stock parts, modded build :P I swear I only used KER and FMRS

Edited by NightshineRecorralis

On 17. 8. 2017 at 9:38 AM, oAsAo said:

Seems nicely flown, and I like the fact that the first mission took something useful up there, before the "accident" happened - way to go :) Here is your badge, good luck with the station building!

2LypmZP.jpg?1

On 18. 8. 2017 at 4:42 AM, zolotiyeruki said:

I've completed the new Mun missions (2-4)

While I like the compact, small payloads, I unfortunately can not award you the badge yet. Two major things are missing from your report - the docking of the rover to the base, and a demonstration of the EEV's capacity to reach at least low munar orbit. Please, provide those screenshots, so I can award the badge, thanks

On 18. 8. 2017 at 1:10 PM, Ozelui said:

Mission 3 report.  I had a couple of incidents, one involving Bill and the kraken, and another related to landing.

I don't know what I like more - the payload, or the report :) I'm seriously impressed by the rotating solar pannels, and your report was a joy to read - poor Bill....

The landing issue is not that bad to prevent you from getting the commander badge, good job!

9E708Vn.jpg?1

On 18. 8. 2017 at 11:44 PM, Andiron said:

This is my entry for mission 1a and 1b. Didn't land quite on the airport so I will try it another day

Welcome to the challenge! Yeah, building a shuttle is one thing, learning to fly it and land it is another - we've all been there :) A nice shutttle, just a small detail - I don't recognize the texture on the ET - is it from a mod, or just some retexturing shenanigans? :)

Anyway, here is your pilot badge, good luck in the next missions!

YgXYW8T.jpg?1giYU8fw.jpg?1

On 19. 8. 2017 at 7:38 AM, qzgy said:

Duna STS-1. Boy I love shuttle missions. And trying to outdo everyone else.

I think I have to stop commenting on people's excessive shuttle size, you guys seem to take it as a challenge :D

But then again, seeing full stations as "outposts" is sure nice :) Very nice report, a beautiful station, and I'm getting scared qhat comes next!

Good job, here is your well-earned badge:

HqSBQUS.jpg?1

20 hours ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

Kinda missed the Space Center because I deorbited too early, it is a completely new design, so I'm still getting used to its flying characteristics.

Yep, it takes a bit of practice to manage pin-point landings with a new shuttle :) Nice mission, and quite a low orbit, good job! Here are your badges:

Michal.don

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Welcome to the challenge! Yeah, building a shuttle is one thing, learning to fly it and land it is another - we've all been there :) A nice shutttle, just a small detail - I don't recognize the texture on the ET - is it from a mod, or just some retexturing shenanigans? :)

Anyway, here is your pilot badge, good luck in the next missions!

Thanks for the badges !

The shuttle is fully stock, the ET is (from top to bottom):

• Rocket Nose Mk7
  • Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3 adapter
  • 5x Kerbodyne S3-3600 tanks
  • 3x Kerbodyne S3-7200 tanks
  • 4x Tail Fin

Oh, and I already landed a shuttle on the runway for STS v3 :wink:

Edited by Andiron

STS 4 mission report:   https://imgur.com/a/BF8Rq

I'm having a lot of fun with this challenge, thanks for keeping it alive!

About the solar pannels... they look cool, but you should see the whole thing at work before being impressed...   For the short tech demo, advance the video to 3:40.

Spoiler

It can be solved if both pannels dock with the main ship before a reload or time warp.  But i can't think of a place for the docking bays that doesn't look terrible in the telescope, so it was a one time thing just for fun. :P 

And there is no way to transfer the electric charge to the main body, and depending on the orientation the whole ship begins to shake, and the part count...  :D

Edited by Ozelui

On 20. 8. 2017 at 10:27 PM, Andiron said:

So, I finally landed it on the runway !

Congrats on the landing! Looking forward to the STS-2 mission report!

On 21. 8. 2017 at 4:42 AM, Ozelui said:

I'm having a lot of fun with this challenge, thanks for keeping it alive!

No problem, I had a great time flying the missions, too :) After seeing the video, I'm impressed quite a bit more, really nice piece of engineering, despite being vulnerable to timewarping.

Nice rescue, too, Here is your badge, and now go build me a station :)

2LypmZP.jpg?1

Michal.don

38 minutes ago, Andiron said:

What do you mean by spin-stabilized btw ?

The sats should have a simple propulsion system that enables spin stabilization (for example two separotrons, each facing in a different direction) before the main bur of the sat engine. It's not neccessary to be spin stabilized for all the burns, one is enough.

The principle of spin stabilization is explained here.

I hope I managed to explain enough,

Michal.don

2 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

Just one question, can some of the modules be transported externally, or all of them must be inside cargo bays?

Well, since especially the later missions are not just about flying, but payload design as well, I'm going to say that all the modules must fit inside yor shuttle. But with that being said, nothing is preventing you from designing a bigger shuttle for this mission - it is actually quite common. Most of the guys revised their designs heavily several times throughout the missions.

Michal.don

The truth is i have a station designed already, with all the modules fitting inside mk3 cargo bays, but i was hoping to use mk3 cargo bays as hangars for the station itself.  I guess i will take your suggestion and use at least one shuttle with a "custom hangar" that can carry mk3 cargo bays.

Back to the design board!

I'm Back and Going for the Skunk Works Badge:cool:

My shuttle is slightly Modded(Tweak scaled structure and Fuel,NO OP engines,RLA Mono engines for RCS). Going for Look vs functionality,Can reach orbit + tested it's final approach flies like a dream (NO Flat spin like last time:D).

No full mission yet, still Testing

instead of RCS jets this Beauty uses actual Mono Engines with TCA for attitude Control about 20+ Mono engines used

Just look at the pic's and be amazed http://imgur.com/a/LyDcR

Key for The Action Groups

AC-1 = Reentry Vernier Pitch Thrusters
AC-2 = Reverse Thrusters
AC-3 = RCS Pitch
AC-4+AC-5 = Attitude Control + Translation Controll
AC-6 = OMS Engines
AC-7 = one time KS-25 Shutdown + Forward Thrusters
AC-8 = fuel cells
AC-9 = Tail Airbrakes
AC-10 = Final drough chute (!!Warning DO NOT use on aproach you Will CRASH!!)

On 8/22/2017 at 7:00 AM, michal.don said:

The sats should have a simple propulsion system that enables spin stabilization (for example two separotrons, each facing in a different direction) before the main bur of the sat engine. It's not neccessary to be spin stabilized for all the burns, one is enough.

The principle of spin stabilization is explained here.

I hope I managed to explain enough,

Michal.don

For realism All Boosted Satellites used spin stabilization for the Kick Motor boost to final orbit

Easiest way to do it in KSP is put 2 Sepertrons facing away from each other on different sides on the COM and turn off SAS

Quick reminder,Adjust the trust so you do not provoke the Kraken:cool:

Mun STS 2-4 complete :)  As normal totally stock and hand flown.  Bit of a design constraint to stick within 7.5t landed on the Mun per flight, so I went small.  The Shuttle is definitely going to need a hefty re-design to make Duna.  Might even make a new one I'm not sure yet as this one seems capable if I can rejig it a little....

Mun STS 2:

Mun STS 3:

Mun STS 4:

Mun EEV Return:

Great new mission by the way I really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to more of the same!

SM

On 8/20/2017 at 5:43 AM, michal.don said:

While I like the compact, small payloads, I unfortunately can not award you the badge yet. Two major things are missing from your report - the docking of the rover to the base, and a demonstration of the EEV's capacity to reach at least low munar orbit. Please, provide those screenshots, so I can award the badge, thanks

Alright, I'll get to it.  Shouldn't take too long--just have to deliver a crew to the Mun so they can pretend there's an emergency :)

STS 5 to 8. 

While i felt the cargo bay was too small for the station i had in mind and created this thing (still WIP) ...

Spoiler

v9DmSXx.png

...i really want to see how far my starting shuttle can go before i have to switch to a new one.

STS - 5     https://imgur.com/a/DIC5Y

Craft file:    https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Pulsar-shuttle-mk-2---M5-Can-you-build-me

STS - 6    https://imgur.com/a/TvMWF

Craft file:    https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Pulsar-shuttle-mk-2---M6-Can-you-build-me

STS - 7    https://imgur.com/a/0fQLv

Craft file:    https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Pulsar-shuttle-mk-2---M7-Can-you-build-me

STS - 8    https://imgur.com/a/g9tAH

Craft file:    https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Pulsar-shuttle-mk-2---M8-Can-you-build-me

Edited by Ozelui

35 minutes ago, Ozelui said:
  Hide contents

v9DmSXx.png

Wow, nice.Still I think has less power and size than my Endurance. What's the cargo bay size and part count?

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Wow, nice.Still I think has less power and size than my Endurance. What's the cargo bay size and part count?

The cargo bay is this big:

Spoiler

JNqQJq0.png

Positioning the cargo well, i think it can hold two mk3 fusselages, but i didn't try yet.

Almost 800 parts (many of them struts), and almost 900 tons :)

Edited by Ozelui