Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

5 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I have a question about STS 2-4:

"Take the rover for a short ride" is there a limit to what counts as a "short ride", do I need to drive to a kilometer and then drive back, or undock, or drive it around for a minute and then dock it back?

Just drive around and take a picture from your rocket shuttle at a distance ;)

Edited by Kerbolitto

12 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Mun STS 2-4 Mission complete!

STS 2: https://imgur.com/a/PM7JGUp

STS 3: https://imgur.com/a/E36gqC3

STS 4:https://imgur.com/a/DmcnnwA

Hope you like!

I do! :)

It's nice to see someone going for the pilot ranks. I'm around in this challenge for quite some time but I never noticed that the EEV doesn't require to reenter on it's own for the pilot badge and to be honest: launching a little rocket shaped lander from the surface of the mun and return it to Kerbin is fairly common but a rendevouz in a low mun orbit to pick up the EEV is actually pretty cool and in my opinion slightly more challenging :D

You performed very well during this mission so enjoy your new badge :)

f3tKFyZ.jpg?1

STS-2a Commander attempt!

I went for the resonant orbit, worked like a charm. Actually planned to record this run again, but the second test launch was already a succesful full run :)

Mostly used airbrake to slow down, since not much fuel left, that also worked out nicely. Took a couple of orbits though ;) And came in a little fast, so had a bit of a tumble above KSC, but the shuttle recovered nice to proceed landing safely.

Album: 
https://imgur.com/gallery/R8rBBDP

15 hours ago, MarkoeZ said:

STS-2a Commander attempt!

I went for the resonant orbit, worked like a charm. Actually planned to record this run again, but the second test launch was already a succesful full run :)

Nice, glad to hear/see you managed to utilize a resonant orbit and it looks like, it worked out very well. The sats are at least close enough to a stationary orbit and evenly spaced, well done :) 

The landing looks like a lot of fun, except for the Kerbals on board :D

Congratulations to your new badge :)

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1

On 10/15/2019 at 6:51 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Congratulations to your new badge :)

Awesome, thanks!

Currently working on the STS-2b challenge, but man, that thing is hard to land :P Did the entire run, but kept failing on the landing, over an hour of quicksave restarts did not help :D

So rebuilding now, hopefully i'll have an entry later this week!

22 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

STS Mun 5-7 Can you LOP-G complete.

STS 5: https://imgur.com/a/LKlFXAM

STS 6:https://imgur.com/a/u0sD8aU

STS 7:https://imgur.com/a/YZhh8jc

Nice!

That's a solid station and you shuttle performed very well, as expected ;) I like the screenshot of the tumbling STS-6 orbiter, that's beautiful (and probably a bit scary :D)
So the station has a mass of 20t and you had 'just' 4 ion engines? How long did you have to burn to increase the Ap above 2000km? :o I barely use these engines but I have the gut feeling it took some time.
Are you going for Duna now? I'm already curious to see how you will deal with the thin atmosphere during STS-2 and the aerobreak while returning to kerbin :)
Of course, you will do your next mission with a brand new badge on your chest ;)

wZo0VDe.png?1

3 hours ago, MarkoeZ said:

Currently working on the STS-2b challenge, but man, that thing is hard to land :P Did the entire run, but kept failing on the landing, over an hour of quicksave restarts did not help :D

So rebuilding now, hopefully i'll have an entry later this week!

Yeah, it's a tough mission and you are definitely not the first one, who had to rebuild or at least modify the orbiter for this mission.It may takes a few more quickloads even with the new orbiter though but I'm certain you can do this :) 

Looking forward to see your solution :)

On 10/17/2019 at 9:56 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Yeah, it's a tough mission and you are definitely not the first one, who had to rebuild or at least modify the orbiter for this mission.It may takes a few more quickloads even with the new orbiter though but I'm certain you can do this :) 

Looking forward to see your solution :)

Hmm, the mission description does not state specifically that the landing should be at an airstrip. Desert/field landing accepted too in such cases? 

Edited by MarkoeZ

39 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

Hmm, the mission description does not state specifically that the landing should be at an airstrip. Desert/field landing accepted too in such cases? 

Every mission (other than the Test Pilot missions) has a Pilot rank where you can land anywhere, and a Commander rank where you need to land on an airstrip. Alternate sites are allowed, but it has to be an airstrip.

Just now, sturmhauke said:

Every mission (other than the Test Pilot missions) has a Pilot rank where you can land anywhere, and a Commander rank where you need to land on an airstrip. Alternate sites are allowed, but it has to be an airstrip.

Noted! Airstrip it is then, going for the max obviously :)

STS-2b run!

One of the main issues of the first run was that the 40t tank kept detaching from its docking port on touchdown. So this time i added a piston with a large docking port to the back of the cargo bay too, that moves in once the first port is docked, keeping the thing in place :) 

Other issue was lift/control, much easier fix, just add some wings/control surfaces. Not the prettiest solution, but flies like a charm :D

And the gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/BKHRMAc

Edited by MarkoeZ

12 hours ago, MarkoeZ said:

STS-2b run!

Cool, you managed to land that heavy beast! 

I love it how you use a piston to get a second docking connection. The usual solution for this issue, were autostruts but using some of the new mechanics like robotics and same vessel interaction, is great :)
Just on a sidenote: Since it is not specified where you have to land and there is actually no pilot or commander rank for this mission, just the "you did it rank", you could have land it wherever you want but you really really don't want your orbiter to bounce on an uneven surface while it is heavily loaded. The runway provides a perfectly flat surface and is highly recommend to use for this mission ;)

Congratulations to your new and well deserved badge :)

v4a3YWl.jpg?1

6 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

love it how you use a piston to get a second docking connection. 

Congratulations to your new and well deserved badge :)

Thanks! And it was really an experiment for me too. started playing in 2012, and had a pretty long pause before this challenge, so its also a nice way for me to get familiar with all the new parts and mechanisms. Totally expected the "docking within vessel" to fail, but worked perfect. 

Couple of questions about the STS-3 challenge (telescope), because the description is pretty vague:
* What exactly defines a telescope?
* MMU: just basically a kerbal in a seat with some RCS fuel, thrusters and a docking port attached?
* Orbital construction, so adding docking ports and adding panels to those in space?

Edit: And quick general question: How do i make my signature slightly smaller so the images show up properly? :)

Edited by MarkoeZ
extra question

17 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

What exactly defines a telescope?

You can basically put a goo on a service bay, strap some batteries and a solar panel on it and call it a telescope :D It's up to you ;)

19 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

MMU: just basically a kerbal in a seat with some RCS fuel, thrusters and a docking port attached?

Correct. Claw would be fine as well but it's pretty big though ;)

20 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

Orbital construction, so adding docking ports and adding panels to those in space?

Also correct.

21 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

Edit: And quick general question: How do i make my signature slightly smaller so the images show up properly?

You can edit the size of the pictures in your signature. In the editor for your signature, double click the images and choose a different size. I use 100pixels for my badges to fit there :)

Hello all,

This is the second time I participate in this challenge, but last time was long ago and I consider I have somewhat improved since then. So here is my second entry for STS-1a. For this mission, I decided to go for the Space Transportation System, which I don't find is the most effective or interesting, but it had to be used at some point. Here's the mission recap https://imgur.com/a/7NBGu0G

Glad to have another go at this, more is coming very soon

2 hours ago, Soviet_Noddle said:

Hello Everyone!

I've stalked this challenge and procrastinated for a while, but I've finally come up with my STS-1a Mission.

A few unplanned disassemblies but thats ok.

https://imgur.com/a/W6qawOn

Any and all criticism is welcome!

No mods involved had to remove them all due to 1.8

guy who submitted a lot here back in the day

unsure if deploying a parachute is allowed in mid air. the rules could have changed since than

other than that its really cute :)

12 minutes ago, Artienia said:

guy who submitted a lot here back in the day

unsure if deploying a parachute is allowed in mid air. the rules could have changed since than

other than that its really cute :)

Unfortunately I did that by accident, I quickly cut it and tried a parachute-less landing on the island runway.

3 hours ago, Soviet_Noddle said:

Unfortunately I did that by accident, I quickly cut it and tried a parachute-less landing on the island runway.

Im not a mission expert or anything, but the original shuttle used drag shutes too :) 
If thats the only use, would be in the spirit of the challenge imo. But up to @4x4cheesecake and/or other challenge mods :)

273639main_EC02-0131-3_full_full.jpg

1 hour ago, EveMaster said:

I reached orbit and landed back at the KSC with my "Nano Space Shuttle", thereby achieving STS-1a on level commander . The craft weights 7.650t including all boosters and fully fueled

hahahaha, sooooo cute! :D

Nice one :)

Hi again,

Here is my STS-2a mission, for which I decided to use the Shuttle Evolution Block II

eGkJI9x.png

The main tank is the same as the original Space Shuttle, but the wings and control surfaces are changed. Concerning propulsion, the OMS pods are reduced in size, and the two boosters are liquid-fuelled, allowing for overall better efficiency.

It's mainly based on this image, and yes, it does have an abort system.

Spoiler

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6348.0;a

Here is the full mission gallery https://imgur.com/a/zAuWXMr