Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

46 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Oh right, I've heard of that mod. I forgot about it before this though, oh well.

That's a bit too chesty for me.  I'll stick with TAC Self Destruct, which needs a part aka explosive device to do its thing

7 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

That would be a wonderful thing to have within the RCS Build Aid interface. Not that it wouldn't work just fine externally, but I think the features you propose would be a bit more synergistic in combination with RCSBA.

It is being added to PWB Fuel Balancer.  But nothing says you can't use both

For STS-1a 

Launch

H0ZZ_KyF-50CvPO7rzBCSW4967xsrcTJ1zMi6-Ok8XsQ1ycuYXmzIfm3Ij9O7PnoeXdrTVc=s151

Booster separation (with parachutes)

xGjEhjmW4yr3iONnvL5f4Top12fx-7KHh1zq5U7nQeT_37MEPT30UK26Q7QTNHr_TXFW=s151

Orbit

IFjvqXjzB-nbYyKUywNCQ3E4NRHvEuujEllY83iLO934TKeFqrSHMRibZ6x5d4svo79Jr1Q=s151

Cargo ejection

MwmCEcV89NJB9zcyaXaA7PZWYX0cWVDareWuvI-6Ko8nwXoE_f685Rvtx_qXSeFNzNw4nw=s151

De-orbit burn

8ejHWmIHT9PZdDr0Mia3TKK1vZs92Hm73XB3IHVpTq2au41MOUokxnwTQf9idWMB3HpdWw=s151

and the landing

oElqG_4pTh8LNvoFQ9r109yDynAqat2ZZ3ZGqR5CeaXwDWkPJqcGlXpe36fs28lH6t0-Xw=s151

No mods used. All Stock parts, and good challenges set... Can I have my badge now??

Hey, a new pilot arrived :)

12 minutes ago, 4472TJ said:

Can I have my badge now??

I'm sure that michal.don would like to reward you with a badge but is kinda difficult to see anything on these stamp-sized screenshots. Can you provide some pictures in a better resolution?

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'm sure that michal.don would like to reward you with a badge but is kinda difficult to see anything on these stamp-sized screenshots. Can you provide some pictures in a better resolution?

I would if I could. I got these pictures on there by lots of effort and perspiration and the're like this! how do you get pictures on at full sizes!!!

5 minutes ago, 4472TJ said:

I would if I could. I got these pictures on there by lots of effort and perspiration and the're like this! how do you get pictures on at full sizes!!!

Depends on where you've uploaded the pictures. I don't know what the 'googleusercontent.com' url comes from, it's not google drive afaik.

A popular image hoster would be imgur (afaik it doesn't even need a registration) and there are some tutorials on how to post screenshots using imgur as a host, for example this one (includes cubeupload as hoster as well):

Or this one:

You can probably also put everything in a folder hosted by dropbox, google drive, or any other cloud service and share a link to this folder here :)

Liftoff

sL0c6H3.jpg

Booster Seperation

KCNVGRr.jpg

Orbit

8sL9SdU.jpg

Jettisoning Cargo

3TZ6y7r.jpg

Re-Entry (couldn't get a good shot of it)

DPl0bZc.jpg

Landing

BpfmrJn.jpg

No mods used and pictures so you can see them!

Now, can I have my badges

Can the good people of the Shuttles have a look at this...

All of the mission ideas will be based around Shuttles

Again I'm Back 

LaunchJDltYIz.jpg

Orbital Burn

bhjFcvJ.jpg

Re-Entry

VmX4cDP.jpg

Landing at Island Airport

sXBdZIF.jpg

Some pictures are used from other flights as I forgot to take the pictures, but I can assure you I did do it all in one flight. 

No mods used all stock.

STS 5T

As you'll see below, I flew the shuttle directly after capturing & touching down on the Mun, just in case I'd have to use a small correction to land on a runway. Turns out I did not have to touch anything between LKO and returning in the atmosphere to land almost directly on the KSC ! :D

Part 1 : Launchpad, LKO, Mun injection

3c52e8.jpg

gp1l58.jpg

01eq8e.jpg

Spoiler

Mun injection maneuver :

kqjtyp.jpg

Part 2 : Capturing Mun-Module around the Mun and landing ! 

v66cyt.jpg

qp9a4e.jpg

ubfeic.jpg

Spoiler

Mun capture maneuver with the Module :

tdo9ib.jpg

Part 3 : Shuttle's return to Kerbin, capturing and landing during the same pass

n2mb7g.jpg

26eaoc.jpg

I pitched down too hard so I landed on the hill in front of KSC, just had to let it roll a bit to stop in front of the SPH !

qwg5yd.jpg

Spoiler

Forcing re-entry : I took a shot at it because Pe was above the eastern parf of the desert so I knew KSC wouldn't be far ! The shuttle touched the atmosphere at around 3200m/s, I blew an airbrake in the higher altitudes..!

5546mv.jpg

KSC in sight : almost no horizontal gliding

xx4xb7.jpg

Part 4 : Mun activities !

ei08fc.jpg

x66av8.jpg

13r3r4.jpg

Spoiler

Lander orbit modification to get a better encounter :

o32zbv.jpg

Lander intersection with Module :

lgn61f.jpg

Part 5 : Leaving Mun to crash land on Kerbin again

3b3clk.jpg

mmckhw.jpg

v2r1sx.jpg

Spoiler

Return maneuver using the Module only :

1pv0j5.jpg

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

What the kraken happend to Barbara Kerman on this flight? Why does she looks like she want drink a bottle of wine, curl up under a hot shower and cry all night long while Jeb and Bill having an obvious unobious face expression? :o
What have you done @Kerbolitto?!

She can't handle the loss of 2 airbrakes during a single mission, also she's realising that she forgot her sandwich around the Mun !

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

That explains a lot...I bet, Bill and Jeb found it but instead of returning it to her, they ate it...poor Barbara :(

Well since there's a lot of radiation around the KSC due to the excessive use of Nukes with this Shuttle program, I'm sure that now the sandwich is flying to its destiny using the huge amount of dV left in the Module !

Maybe we'll hear from it again later in the challenge :D 

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Testflight of the 5th or 6th iteration of my (rough built) boxed wing prototype (I stopped counting) and I get the feeling, that orbiters are not meant to use boxed wings :confused:

L3Ro5rS.png

The CoL is just way to far in the back :/

ke6ikQY.png

On the bright side, the amount of dV is almost perfect^^

You could try converting the lower wing from a delta to a narrower swept wing. From what I understand, stock aero doesn't model things like wingtip vortices that box wings are meant to address. So the main reasons you'd use one are to look cool and reduce wingspan while preserving wing area.

4 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

So the main reasons you'd use one are to look cool and reduce wingspan while preserving wing area. 

Yep, that's the reason, especially for the look ;)

5 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

You could try converting the lower wing from a delta to a narrower swept wing. From what I understand, stock aero doesn't model things like wingtip vortices that box wings are meant to address.

The stock aerodynamics doesn't care about this stuff, that's right but I'm not quiet sure if I understand your idea of a narrow swept wing. I thought about removing some tiles from the bottom wing so it would actually look like a curled swept wing. Is that what you mean as well?
Have to test how the curved side tanks will fit to the design (and sidetanks in general) and if heat will be an issue during reentry since the side tanks are actually small 1,25m LFO tanks, covered by structual tubes of MH but I don't expect the tubes to shield the tanks from heating.

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'm not quiet sure if I understand your idea of a narrow swept wing. I thought about removing some tiles from the bottom wing so it would actually look like a curled swept wing. Is that what you mean as well?

Yeah, that. I'd remove segments from the trailing edge of the lower wing.

Alright, several new entries over the weekend, let's have a look at them!

On 1/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, 4472TJ said:

For STS-1a 

Welcome to the challenge! And thanks for re-uploading the larger screenshots, the small ones were pretty... confusing :) 

Good job on your first mission, you managed to get your shuttle to orbit just fine, and the reentry seemed to bring you to the general vicinity of the KSC - just a bit of practice, and you'll be landing on the runway without any trouble :)

So, here's your first badge, pilot!

YgXYW8T.jpg?1

Congratulations!

One small detail though - could you, please, hide the screenshots in a spoiler for the next report, so the thread is not too picture heavy? Thanks!

On 1/6/2019 at 10:41 AM, 4472TJ said:

Again I'm Back 

Ah, and a swift upgrade to commander level, here you go :)

QThe6Sf.jpg?1

21 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

STS 5T

Managing to land on the runway without a correction burn is an example of either good planning, great flying, or amazing luck - not going to judge which one of these was the case here :D Anyway - great mission, and a great report - here's your badge:

7zmbGnp.png?1

(also, for the next time, please also hide more of the screenshots in a spoiler, the thread is getting rather picture-heavy :) Thanks!)

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I finished my STS-4/4R mission, with explosions! Next time I might use that failure mod, but for this I did it the old fashioned way.

Wow, that's a lot of kerbal on board! :) 

Great mission, a nice explosion and a happy end - what could be better? (more explosions possibly? Nah, this is just fine :) ) Good job rescuing your stranded crew, and a well-deserved badge:

bi6LEcy.jpg?1

And here comes station building time! 

Michal.don

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Wow, that's a lot of kerbal on board! :) 

Great mission, a nice explosion and a happy end - what could be better? (more explosions possibly? Nah, this is just fine :) ) Good job rescuing your stranded crew, and a well-deserved badge:

bi6LEcy.jpg?1

And here comes station building time! 

Michal.don

Thanks! :cool: Building an oversized monstrosity of a station is what my shuttle was built for.

2 hours ago, michal.don said:

Managing to land on the runway without a correction burn is an example of either good planning, great flying, or amazing luck - not going to judge which one of these was the case here :D Anyway - great mission, and a great report - here's your badge:

7zmbGnp.png?1

(also, for the next time, please also hide more of the screenshots in a spoiler, the thread is getting rather picture-heavy :) Thanks!)

Thank you :) It was pure luck actually, I did not quickload anything to modify the departure time or else, and the orbit I chose was a bit unusual (Pe around Mun was very low for a free return trajectory). That's why I aimed at 42-43k when returning to Kerbin, so I knew I could glide at least 2 times due to the relatively low drag of the shuttle, or just pitch hard if needed (thanks to a lot of elevator power!)

I'll change my future reports to hide more pics, even if I really like showing beauty screenshots without interface for everyone to see ! :p

STS-2b completed.

I did this on stream last night, and there were several reverts as well as one complete do-over.  Odd things kept going wrong, such as, I was ready to dock and the satellite/fuel container lost all EC, so it lost station-keeping ability.  Took a minute before I realized that we were in an eclipse, and just had to wait until we came out.  Unfortunately, that took about 10 minutes or so, ended up running out of monoprop.

Another problem (not shown in the video) was that the docking port on the side was hitting the bottom of the shuttle bay preventing a good dock.  I ran into that the first attempt, was able to work around it the second time.

Note that the fuel satellite is actually 43 tons, not 40. 

This video show the complete mission, it's been edited to eliminate the reverts (F9 is most definitely my friend).  Kudos to chat, where I got a few good suggestions, including one telling me why S-turns were so useful (ie:  while the shuttle didn't turn, it reduces the lift, and helped me do a better approach).  The final approach was almost perfect, but was just a bit too fast, so I was able to use the engines to do a go-around.

Mission Video (1:51:04 in length)

Spoiler

Mission Pictures

Launch

Spoiler

uxMnSsj.png

NKTUmwC.png

drNhgLY.png

I0neka3.png

RSuQiqa.png

Rendezvous & Docking

Spoiler

ifygNNB.png

cm1YZwX.png

cAWqabJ.png

Jettisoning supplemental RCS tug

IuFmUH4.png

lYWwZus.png

A quick EVA to strut the satellite in place using EVA Struts

Spoiler

sh4Ezkk.png

Reentry and Landing

Spoiler

bHHoaxW.png

HlJHG65.png

D5oZciU.png

dh0Ei0t.png

gY7BF35.png

Final image showing fuel levels in all the tanks of the payload

Spoiler

ozcgh3y.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 8/5/2017 at 2:06 PM, michal.don said:

Your mission here involves some design and orbital construction - you are to launch a Space Telescope into orbit and deploy it. This will require assembly with the 2 MMUs (Manned Maneuvering Units, like this one) you will design, as the solar panels need to be attached on-orbit with Kerbals.

Just a couple of questions:

What does the space telescope need (other than the solar panels)?  Specifically, are there requirements as to the size of the telescope, ability of the telescope, etc?

I assume that needing to use the MMUs, that KIS is not needed here.  Obviously (IMHO), KIS would eliminate the need for the MMUs.

Are there any suggested Space Telescope mods you would suggest for this?  I'm aware of the Tarsier, the Sentinel (stock), the Cacteye Optics, as well as smaller telescopic cameras in HullCamVDS (and possibly others)