Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

Nebula Station is now operational, and the crew of the STS-8 is safe at the KSC! I apparently forgot how to land smoothly though... Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/Vd6MQag

hBisSy3.png

STS-5: station core with command center, 0g bunks (space for 4), RCS and SAS, main drive, and backup power. Overshot the landing at KSC pretty badly, circled around under jet power to land at the island.

Spoiler

HbuBani.png

SbnV2z7.png

4C6GTHC.png

v0OqXho.png

tOEOuib.png

J7ZIGjD.png

IWMxjBd.png

4XNDj0G.png

fHaWIZK.png

STS-6: assembly of inflatable habitat rings with 0.5g spin gravity (space for 16), boarding tubes with combo standard/sr. docking clamps, main solar arrays. Managed to land at KSC this time, despite coming in a little too high and hot and at a bad angle.

Spoiler

JHdKC5d.png

sPtqYVd.png

9fe7SY8.png

7y4gEY9.png

Y4LxDJm.png

jmRRiRH.png

XpFPa8Q.png

iXFzPPh.png

Z0svITA.png

srmLfpz.png

0pIUVab.png

STS-7: assembly of science module 1 with botany labs/greenhouses, aquatic lab, general labs, instrument bay, comm array, additional batteries. Overshot the KSC a bit, but managed to circle back and land from the east side (barely).

Spoiler

SqDHr40.png

CxufWqL.png

hixYWj7.png

hAqmLYJ.png

6DeEGck.png

kQAKHrE.png

eBBKoYH.png

7MYB5U3.png

STS-8: assembly of science module 2 (identical to science module 1), final deployment of main solar arrays and hab rings. After reentry, was lined up perfectly for an island landing, so I did that.

Spoiler

qmBCOMq.png

ZJl8lP5.png

P894BdN.png

7Mwidup.png

CgdOTpS.png

C2sJ0qh.png

cb4HSMd.png

TEL7xQp.png

Wl6vSsb.png

MIAG0FV.png

On 1/28/2019 at 11:49 PM, Starslinger999 said:

Also, I got my missions done!

Very nice station design, and a pretty advanced orbital assembly - great mission! The orbiter must be quite toasted though from the "separotrons".... :) A new badge for you:

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

good luck with your school stuff and looking forward to hear from you here when you are finished ;) 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:52 AM, sturmhauke said:

Nebula Station is now operational, and the crew of the STS-8 is safe at the KSC! I apparently forgot how to land smoothly though... 

And one of the "monstrosity kind" here, too :D Great looking station, especially the rings. I guess their inflatability comes in handy, even if you have this large cargo bay. Very good mission, so a badge for you as well:

dmyqfvY.jpg?1

Congratulations!

Michal.don

Finally...

Timestamps in video comments. Launch is pretty boring, it very nearly flies itself. I'm unbelievably insanely incredibly proud of the landing autopilot, though.

For reentry, the vessel has an idea of a) how fast it ought to be at any given distance from the space center, b) there is a desired altitude depending on airspeed. When too low, it pitches up. When too fast, it also pitches up. In order to not jump to high altitudes, it starts rolling. That's really all there is to it; I love how well that simple algorithm plays out.

Both reentry and landing were simple, but the part where I come out of reentry mode and need to line up with the runway was a lot more involved than I bargained for. Anyway, it works now. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

What did you use for those wings? They look like Big-S wings but with different proportions.

Yes, they are.

Hmmm. I mentioned this when I posted my first WIP design, but that has been so long ago.... So, to clarify: Cockpit, fuselage and main engine are SXT models, but scaled up from their standard 2.5m. Engines have been reconfigured, the main engine is effectively a Rhino, the two LV-909 models for the OMS burn monoprop at 310s / 45kN. The wings are indeed based on the stock wingShuttleDelta:

@MODEL
    {  //scale = width, length, height in SPH
        %scale = 1.68, 2.5, 0.8
    }

All this has been achieved by MM patch, but I'm effectively running my own personal mod here.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, Starlord Kerman said:

'd be interested to see someone attempt this using the mod [Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems] I've been working on:

The vessels look good, but I'm sorry to say that the cargo bay is just too small. One of the first missions of this challenge fields a 2.5m dummy payload with surface additions, gross diameter comes to about 3m.

I've been sitting on this shuttle design for bit over a year now. Last week I had recorded and edited most of the video for STS-1a. The only thing left to do was record the booster separation and landing. So, instead of doing that, I had the bright idea to binge on Age of Empires 3 for a week straight. Because I haven't played that game enough over the past 10 years...

Without further ado, here’s my go at STS-1a.
In video form, because I didn’t feel like taking screenshots.

Mods Used:
Ferram Aerospace Research
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Realchute
Smart Parts
Surface Mounted Lights

A mission breakdown/flavour text is found in the spoiler tab below.

Spoiler

Mission breakdown:

• Before launch, a separate fuel tank fuels the Lifter stage (named Equites) and the unnamed Boosters.
  • Because of engine placement, the shuttle leans forward upon take-off.
  • At T+1:45 the boosters cut off and separate from the lifter stage. All parachutes are armed to deploy at their relative altitudes.
  • Air breaks help orientate the boosters, and drogue chutes (from Realchute) help slow the booster decent.
  • The main chutes bring the boosters decent speed down to 8m/s, allowing retrorockets to eliminate the remaining speed before touchdown in the ocean. The retrorockets are activated using Smartparts, set at 9m. Retrorockets and main chutes are both placed on the centre of mass.
  • At about T+7 minutes after launch, the boosters have splashed down in the ocean approximately 90-100 km from the KSC. During this period, all control is handled by SAS, timed parachutes, and timed Smartparts. It is a completely automated and hands-off process.
  • Equites is capable of lifting both itself, the Invicta orbiter, and payload into a low Kerbal orbit.
  • Once in orbit, Equites and Invicta separate. Equites performs a retro burn, eliminating any and all space debris. Older version of Equites could return and land at the KSC. This was scrapped because effort.
  • A microsat was deployed, testing the shuttles ability to carry 2 extra mini payloads.
  • Bob shows off the crew compartment.
  • Invicta begins the deorbit burn using it’s 2 Nerv engines. These engines allow the orbiter to have 1400 v with no cargo. The burn is performed while passing over the large crater, bringing the projected trajectory to the desert (Dessert Desert?) peninsula.
  • The orbiter re-enters the atmosphere, attempting to hold an angle of attack of around 20-40 degrees. This AOA is slowly lowered as FAR begins to complain more and more. Re-entry is normally handled by RemoteTechs flight computer.
  • Invicta bounces off the atmosphere, before finally re-entering the for the last time and prepares of landing.
  • A drag chute is deployed as soon as the orbiter touches down.

The orbiter is equipped with 2 jet engines for “insurance reasons”. However, they have only been used once during previous test flights, when I forgot that the shuttle was carrying cargo. Invicta is fully capable of taking off from the runway on its own power and can fly around happily like a normal aircraft at about 0.6 mach.

I’ve been working on shuttles since 2013, and I’ve been toying with this design (mainly the wings) since 2015. And after a rather sizeable redesign a few months ago, I’ve finally reached a point where I’m happy.

And for completion’s sack, here is an album of the same shuttle from a year ago.

https://imgur.com/a/wOJMu

And yes, there are decouples on the Nerv engines. And no, they don’t serve any practical purpose.

If I've missed something, please let me know.

Edited by Noir

I am very pleased to present to you the mission results of STS-5, STS-6, STS-7 and STS-8

Modlist is here:

Spoiler

ABookCase Orbital Reference System (ABCORS 0.5.0.4)
Action Group Manager Renewed (ActionGroupManager 2.2.4)
Advanced Fly-By-Wire (Windows, x64) (AdvancedFlyByWire 1.8.1.3)
All Y'All (AllYAll 0.11.16.3)
AnyRes Continued (AnyResContinued 2.0.2.7)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.6.2)
AtmosphereAutopilot (Fly-By-Wire) (AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.11)
AttitudeAdjuster (AttitudeAdjuster 1.0)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.6.0)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules 1:v0.6.5.6)
Better Load Save Game (BetterLoadSaveGame 2.3)
Better SR Bs (BetterSRBs 1.05)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.8.1)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.11.2)
CactEye Optics Community (CactEyeCommunity 1.5.1.15)
Camera Focus Changer (CameraFocusChanger 1:1.0.4.2)
Camera Tools (CameraTools v1.11.0)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.96)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.10)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.0.0.0)
Community Trait Icons (CommunityTraitIcons v1.0.2)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.3.4)
Control Surface Toggle (ControlSurfaceToggle 1.2.4)
CorrectCoL (CorrectCoL 1.6.4.3)
Craft Manager (CraftManager 1.1.5)
Dated QuickSaves (DatedQuickSaves 1.2.3.3)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.0.0)
Destruction Effects (DestructionEffects 2:v1.9.0)
Diazo's Landing Height Display (DiazosLandingHeight 2.2.0.5)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.9.1.1)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.2)
Docking Port Sound FX (DockingPortSoundFX v2.1.12)
Draft Twitch Viewers (DTV2 2.6.1.6)
Draggable Altimeter (DraggableAltimeter v1.0.1)
Draggable Navball (DraggableNavball v1.0.1)
EarlyBird (EarlyBird 0.1.7.0)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.19.10)
Engine Lighting (EngineLighting 1.5.1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.4.2-2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
EVA Struts (EVAStruts 5.0)
Fill It Up (FillitUp 0.1.3)
Filter Extensions - Default Configuration (FilterExtensionsDefaultConfig 3.2.2.15)
Filter Extensions - Plugin (FilterExtensions 3.2.2.15)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.11.0)
Fuel Tank Expansion Rebuilt (MunarIndustriesFTX 0.9.6.3)
GravityTurn Continued (GravityTurnContinued 2:1.7.7)
Ground Proximity (GroundProximity 0.3.1)
HangerExtender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.3.4)
HullcamVDS Continued (HullcamVDSContinued 0.1.10.2)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.8.0)
Integrated Stack Decouplers (IntegratedStackDecouplers 0.1.3.5)
Internal RCS (InternalRCS 1.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 3.6.18.3)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.6.18.3)
Jet Sounds Continued (JetSoundsContinued 1.2)
Keep It Straight (KeepItStraight 1.0.5)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.10.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.1)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.7)
Kerbal Foundries2 (KerbalFoundriesContinued 2.2.6.16)
Kerbal Hacks: Droptank "Wrapper" (KerbalHacksDroptankWrapper 1.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.18)
Kerbal NRAP - Procedural Test Weights (KerbalNRAP 1.5.13)
Kerbonov Kn-2 Cockpit Module (Kerbonov 2:2.0.1)
KS3P (KS3P V5.0)
KSP Resonant Orbit Calculator (ResonantOrbitCalculator 0.0.4)
KSP Wheel (KSPWheel 0.12.10.28)
KXAPI (KXAPI 1.1.0)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.1.4)
Mark IV Spaceplane System (MarkIVSpaceplaneSystem 3.0.4)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.8.2.0)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.5)
MemGraph (MemGraph 1:1.1.1.5)
Minimum Ambient Lighting (MinAmbience 1.2.4)
MissingHistory (MissingHistory 1.7.2)
Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts (RaginCaucasian 1.4.5.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.6.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.0.2)
NASA CountDown Clock Updated (NASA-CountDown 1.3.7.5)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2 (NavballDockAlignIndCE 1.0.4.4)
NavHud (NavHudRenewed 1.3.6.1)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.5.0)
OctoSat Continued (OctosatContinued 1:0.1.11.2)
PAWS (PAWS 1.1.0.2)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.1)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.1)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings 1:1.5.0.5)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 10.0)
PWB Fuel Balancer Restored (PWBFuelBalancerRestored 0.1.5.6)
QuickRevert (QuickRevert 1:3.1.4.2)
QuickSearch (QuickSearch 1:3.2.3)
QuickStart (QuickStart 1:2.1.6.2)
RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 1:0.9.7.4)
Reentry Particle Effect (ReentryParticleEffect 1.3)
Retractable Lifting Surface Module (RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.5.5)
S.A.V.E (SAVE 1.5.5-3121)
SafeChute (SafeChute v2.1.16)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0336)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0336)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0336)
Sensible Pumps Continued (SensiblePumpsCont 1.2.6.3)
Ship Effects Continued (ShipEffectsContinued 1.0.8.4)
Show FPS (ShowFPS 1:0.2.0.3)
Slingshotter Reslung (SlingShotterReslung 1.1.6.9)
SpaceY Expanded (SpaceY-Expanded 1.4)
SpaceY Heavy Lifters (SpaceY-Lifters 1.17.2)
Speed Unit Annex (SpeedUnitAnnex 1.3.2)
Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies Continued... (TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies 1:7.4)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.4.6)
The Kaptain's Log (KaptainsLog 0.1.6.3)
Tokamak Refurbished Parts (TokamakRefurbishedParts 0.1.17.1)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.17.15)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.20)
TooManyOrbits (TooManyOrbits 1.1.3.3)
Trajectories (Trajectories vKSP1.4.2-v2.2.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.12.0.0)
WasdEditorCameraContinued (WasdEditorCameraContinued 0.6.14.3)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.7.5)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.0.5.2)

Assembled Space Station:

Spoiler

VDVzqPM.png

BQ5kYQr.png

WGx7lOu.png

STS-5 Video

Spoiler

STS-6 Video

Spoiler

STS-7 Video

Spoiler

STS-8 Video

Spoiler

I have lots of pictures, but wanted to get these up there

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 1/29/2019 at 5:08 PM, Starlord Kerman said:

I'd be interested to see someone attempt this using the mod I've been working on:

Maybe I'll give it a try myself if I can find the time :)

Our mods are similar.  Your problem is the lack of cargo space, which is worst than the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts.

good luck, I would be interested in seeing the results

On 1/31/2019 at 4:44 PM, Laie said:

The vessels look good, but I'm sorry to say that the cargo bay is just too small. One of the first missions of this challenge fields a 2.5m dummy payload with surface additions, gross diameter comes to about 3m

You don't have to use the supplied dummy payload.  As long as your payload is at least 40 tons, and probably with the same attachments as the dummy, it will be accepted.

I did this using the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts, would be happy to supply the 43 ton payload which I was able to bring up and then, in the next mission, bring it back down.

Here is the launch of STS-2a (middle of the post):

and the recovery, STS-2b:

Edited by linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Your problem is the lack of cargo space, which is worst than the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts

I wouldn't say worse, after all my Flat-Bottom shuttle parts can even hold some 2.5m payloads which can't quite squeeze into the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts :P

Spoiler

AQDuIwYg.jpg

While playing around I have launched some payloads with the doors open. I assume for this challenge the payload needs to be fully contained though.

Spoiler

QpiiPdI.jpg

6 hours ago, Starlord Kerman said:

I wouldn't say worse, after all my Flat-Bottom shuttle parts can even hold some 2.5m payloads which can't quite squeeze into the Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts

Granted, but that is an odd case.  You can't fit in 2.5m tanks and other longer 2.5m parts, and while the Mk2.5 can't fit in that assembly, it can fit in the parts individually for assembly in orbit.

Also, I believe that is a docking port??  and it's attached directly to the floor?  Is it extending into the floor at all?

This is how I would do this cargo in the Mk2.5:

06pxguY.png

Now, this is a bit of a personal feeling, but I prefer to make my cargos attached in a "sensible" manner, so each of the parts is connected via a docking port to a dedicated part; in the case of the left, it's actually another docking port, in the case of the right, it's a cubic strut.  The walls of the Mk2.5 are thicker as well, which gives me a bit more of a good feeling in terms of the looks.

So even ignoring my feelings, I'll agree that yes, the Flat Bottom parts can hold some cargos that wouldn't fit into a Mk2.5.  If you were to make the walls a bit thicker to give some semblance of structural strength, then I think it would be an outstanding set of parts.  I especially like the bottom-opening parts, and those actually have the structural strength in the sides, although I question how strong opening doors would work in reality during a reentry.  Anyway, I'm still eagerly waiting for you to finish the redesign of the wings

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I especially like the bottom-opening parts, and those actually have the structural strength in the sides, although I question how strong opening doors would work in reality during a reentry. 

The Mark IV mod I use has bottom-opening versions of the cargo bays, and plenty of people around here have used upside-down stock bays. It might not be the most realistic thing, but I consider it acceptable kerbal engineering.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

The Mark IV mod I use has bottom-opening versions of the cargo bays, and plenty of people around here have used upside-down stock bays. It might not be the most realistic thing, but I consider it acceptable kerbal engineering.

I'm not complaining, it was just a comment. And yes, it is very Kerbal

I just want to let you know that I haven't forgotten about y'all, but the last week or two have just been crazy and I did not have time to check your missions. The busy time should be over soon though, so, please, just give me a little more time to catch up.

Sorry for the delays on my part and thank you for your patience,

Michal.don

Alright, I've got a bit of time to finally look at all the stuff you guys did, let's get to it:

On 1/31/2019 at 7:10 PM, Laie said:

Timestamps in video comments. Launch is pretty boring, it very nearly flies itself. I'm unbelievably insanely incredibly proud of the landing autopilot, though.

And you are very right to be proud - this is some proper engineering! Very smooth entry, descent and landing, this is how it should be done. I'm curious though - how adaptible is the script for cases when you are bringing some payload down (STS-2b for example), doesn't the mass change mess it up too much?

In any case, a very, very well deserved badge for you:

neJ4lfc.jpg?1

Congratulations!

On 2/2/2019 at 7:13 AM, Noir said:

Without further ado, here’s my go at STS-1a.

That's a pretty neat shuttle design you have here - I really like it! Great to hear that the first (official) flight was a success, and I hope you'll stick around for more and show us what you shuttle is capable of!

I have nothing to poke at, your mission is a great example of an STS-1a done the right way, so, here's your first badge:

QThe6Sf.jpg?1

Congratulations!

On 2/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I am very pleased to present to you the mission results of STS-5, STS-6, STS-7 and STS-8

The station is looking great, but the videos are not working for me. Does anybody have the same problem with them, or is just my computer/browser messed up? Thanks for any information on that!

Michal.don

1 minute ago, michal.don said:

Does anybody have the same problem with them, or is just my computer/browser messed up? Thanks for any information on that!

The STS-8 video works fine for me, the others seem to be broken :/

(I've seen the other flights in the live stream, I can assure that everything went fine :P:D)

14 minutes ago, michal.don said:

The station is looking great, but the videos are not working for me. Does anybody have the same problem with them, or is just my computer/browser messed up? Thanks for any information on that!

For some reason, the first three didn't work on Youtube, I'm reuploading them now.  STS-8 is good, though

I'll just update the post and let you know here when it's done

10 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

(I've seen the other flights in the live stream, I can assure that everything went fine :P:D)

I don't expect anything fishy, I'd just like to have a look.... :)

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For some reason, the first three didn't work on Youtube, I'm reuploading them now.  STS-8 is good, though

I'll just update the post and let you know here when it's done

Thanks! I'll have a look at it when it's done then.

Shuttle-2-33.jpg

On 2/11/2019 at 2:26 PM, michal.don said:

I'm curious though - how adaptible is the script for cases when you are bringing some payload down (STS-2b for example), doesn't the mass change mess it up too much?

Well, I've written the script with that in mind, but didn't come around to actually trying it until yesterday. It works a treat, if anything it looks even better and smoother with ballast. I'm afraid my Shuttle has just too much wing when empty... but then again: it, too, was designed with the payload in mind, and with an eye on possible Duna missions.

Sorry if I'm being a pest, but may I possibly qualify for the skunkworks award?

I've only prepared a gallery of my STS-2 mission because, while docking was slow and careful and rather exciting for me, I don't believe it would come over too well in a video. And the return is virtually indistinguishable from the last one.

ETA: just noticed that in thanks for my medal, I just dumped another mission into your lap, and extra demands to boot. Being the participant of a challenge is such an easy and untroubled life...

Edited by Laie

You can take any size and mass. However, be aware that even class A won't fit in the mk3 payload bay, and with densities they have in stock (styrofoam???), carrying a small asteroid is more about drag than weight.

Back when I was doing this mission there was a bug which made all the rocks spawn with 150t mass. Now that was a cool chance to drill it down to whatever mass you can carry while also picking something of a manageable size