Mods now needed to fix KSP issues. Why?

Drill action groups...

Ships disappear in map view so you can't target anything...

Why do we now need mods for functions that were standard up to 1.3.0? Why were things like this not micropatched out? Is anything tested before release; this is not deeply hidden stuff that only 0.001% of the players encounters.

Please fix this stuff squad, and make it easier to log bugs instead of going through that monster of a system you want us to use and no one understands and just says "F it, I'l wait for someone else to do it".

Squad has a well known and well documented history of 'cocking-up'. And the modding community has time after time stepped forward to patch things up. There is absolutely nothing new about that.

Issues like this will most likely get fixed in the next updates but it is pretty much guaranteed Squad will yet again miss several obvious bugs. It always has and always will be that way.

The two issues I listed yeah, but it's more in general why mods need to fix bugs. And I don't mean mods that add new parts, but that actually fix stock things that have always worked before but get botched in a new release and never get fixed again.

I think 90% or more of the people that get directed towards the bug tracker get put off by the hassles of reporting something through that system, and if they do get through it then most of the time the thing gets closed for no reason anyway. I know I find that system futile as can be. It's like they release a new version and go on vacation, never mind any bugs or decent testing, just release an upgrade and good luck with it.

I think part of the overarching issue is that some mods do things in infinitely superior ways to what is already there. One such example is the stock fairings. They are clunky, unforgiving and not intuitive in the slightest where the mod Procedural Fairings is elegant, easy to use and intuitive as in they form to fit the payload with not clicking and dragging anything beyond taking a fairing bit and placing it on its base nub in the right symmetry mode.

other things are being addressed far as I know but as always "soon" is all we know far as I know.

original post time 04:48:30

Edited by AlamoVampire

That is just an improvement upon stock parts. I've basically pruned (almost) every stock part for better parts from mods. But what I mean is basic functions that were present in previous versions, but that got destroyed on new releases.

Right now I can't target any vessels (or it's a serious pita to try to) because all other ships disappear from the map view when you zoom in. Then the fact that targeted vessels are no longer highlighted and no distance info available, drills can no longer be activated through action groups... I'm sure i can come up with some more.... 1.3.0 cocked up more than it fixed, as if we were all waiting for a polish translation at the cost of these functions. Now the historical stuff that no one is waiting for (we have mods, we have everything they can think of and more).

Not even going into the broken system of the one huge text file for all the save game info that makes big saves impossible to play without stuff blowing up for no reason. Heck, that's not important, let's just focus on the basics for now.

I'm all for the paid DLC idea to raise some extra money if that will help out, but they have to solve bugs before adding new features that only a hand full of people want. The game is moving backwards instead of forwards. Next we'll lose the altimeter because we need cyrillic characters more than that useless thing at the top (I still don't get why the altimeter is at the top and the speed on the navball at the bottom, but hey, logic is relative).

Edited by Jimbodiah

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Not even going into the broken system of the one huge text file for all the save game info that makes big saves impossible to play without stuff blowing up for no reason. Heck, that's not important, let's just focus on the basics for now.

Could you elaborate on this? I know a handful of other games which use the giant-text-file method (Paradox Interactive's EU3 for one) and I've not once had an issue with it.  

I can't really blame them for focusing work on the DLC - what's more important to a company: ensuring that their product meets satisfaction for each and every individual user or making money?  That isn't to say they should sacrifice quality development for revenue generating schemes, but at the end of they day the devs need a paycheck.  

You've bought the game and you're probably still going to try to play it even with bugs, bugs which have no doubt been at least recognized and at most already fixed (but not implemented).  Should they roll out a minor patch to fix them? Maybe, maybe not.  The game is still playable after all.  Can I blame them for not focusing on it?  No, I can't.  At the end of the day, SQUAD is the one who decides where development goes, not the community.  Have a little patience.

Quality and revenue should go hand-in-hand. I love this game, would gladly spend money on it if I knew it would improve the quality.

Re saves: Anytime I get to have stations around 4-5 planets and 20-25 ships in transit/orbit somewhere, the entire games glitches out with it's physics when you focus in on a ship. I get freezes every 10-15 seconds as if the game is constantly loading big files, and ships just start shaking until they explode when a new craft is loaded in. As long as I only have a few ships in the game everything is fine, but setting up stations and infrastructure is just not-done in this game. I've had this since I started playing in 1.0.3 iirc; this game just does not like large setups which makes me rage-quit every time. Each new version I have the hope things have improved, but they are only getting worse. 

42 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Quality and revenue should go hand-in-hand. I love this game, would gladly spend money on it if I knew it would improve the quality.

Ha.  That made me laugh.  Of course Quality and revenue would go hand in hand in an Utopian world, but we tend to live in something a bit more nihilistic.  See also: Free market. 

Do you work (catching smurffs :sticktongue: ), or are you just quoting something off of google? Because I must have worked in a utopian world the last 20 years then as I've always delivered quality software at a healthy profit. Yes, there is a definite balance cq compromise, but quality and profit are not mutually exclusive, contrary to what you believe. If this is really what you are experiencing, I'd seriously advise a career change. :cool:

NB: "Free market" works both ways, as your customer will shop elsewhere if you rip him off. ;.;

Squad needs to monetize their game more, and maybe paid DLC is one way to get more funds to improve the game. Squad does not strike me to be like the con-men at say WartGaming where the bottom line is all there is, so I have hope in them. They just need to pick up the ball a bit more and not leave everything to modders. :confused:

Ghe, maybe microtransactions for 100m/s of extra dV during a launch/landing when you miscalculated.

Edited by Jimbodiah
ocd

While I was agreeing with you, in a seemingly negative fashion, your sweeping dismissal of any contribution I might have to this thread, has removed much of the credibility I was giving you, and therefore, are no longer worth discussing this with.  

@Jimbodiah Let me go on record (as it seems to me, my impression of your response following my example of fairings leads me to think you think stock fairings were first) by stating the mod Procedural Fairings existed LONG before Squad put in their (my opinion on quality) miserable failure fairings. They saw how it (my opinion on quality again) SHOULD be done by seeing how when its done RIGHT fairings can work and ran in the direction we all see. (My opinion on how badly they screwed it up by going in the worst direction possible. Of course.)

So again mod preceded stock because other mods like FAR needed them long before stock did. 

Disclaimer: agree or repudiate me on quality as that is opinion and I welcome a good conversation :) 

original post time 21:15:30

Hey, I use PF exclusively for fairings, don't get me wrong, but that was not the point I was after: mods adding better versions to what squad came up with.  What I am after is that they fix stuff that got broken going from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 and mods now popping up to do squad's work on this part.

28 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

<snip> don't get me wrong, but that was not the point I was after: mods adding better versions to what squad came up with.  <snip>

I get that, and mostly its true, but the thing is in this case they gave us an inelegantly bad implementation of something the community was already using, which is honestly worrying. They had the blue print they could use if not outright asking the original modder if they could assimilate the mod but they chose to give us the stock ones that are inelegant at the least. Which (speculation / opinion) leads us to the situation of mods needed to fix/adjust stock issues.

original post :21:55:30

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.