Mukita12

How to Flyby Multiple Planet

Question

so i'm going to do a Probe mission to Eeloo but since im using earth timing on setting It might take a couple year so How do i Flyby multiple planet like cassini pls help i want to do my mission next week

PS.Sorry for bad grammar

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

so i'm going to do a Probe mission to Eeloo but since im using earth timing on setting It might take a couple year so How do i Flyby multiple planet like cassini pls help i want to do my mission next week

Fly by multiple planets are rarely done because the opportunity present itself, that requires a fortuitous alignment that don't happens that often.

Spoiler

voy_traj.jpg

Voyage Program took advantage of an alignment that happens once in every 175 year.

Most of the multiple flyby mission are done to take advantage of the gravity assists to save fuel. Those are not free of charge since every detour made from a direct trajectory takes it toll on mission time.

Spoiler

1280px-Cassini_Interplanet_traject_DE.svimage004.jpg

Rosetta_trajectory_English.jpeg

I suggest you to just get the mod Kerbal Alarm Clock, set an alarm for your arrival at Eeloo and do something else in the meantime

First of all, you must know how to gravity assist using celestial body to boost your DeltaV. This maneuver saves fuel compared to burn directly to target when being done correctly. The way to flyby multiple planets on long journey is mostly using your probe to get a stable orbit on a celestial body, then doing prograde burn at periapsis of the celestial body while at the same time predicting the transfer window of nearby celestial body that you will use next for gravity assist. The higher the gravity of a celestial body, the better the gravity assist that can be performed. If you are able to predict next transfer window, then it should be easy to do multiple flyby. For me, I'm usually just hopping from one celestial body to another (stable orbit >wait transfer window for next target > burn to target > make stable orbit > repeat)

Hope it helps :)

There is a simple answer to any KSP question, especially those regarding complicated missions.
P L A N   A H E A D

Look at the planets, figure out where they will be at your optimal launch time, and figure out exactly when to launch, where to go up, and where/when to maneuver node out of orbit.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Fly by multiple planets are rarely done because the opportunity present itself, that requires a fortuitous alignment that don't happens that often.

Hide contents

voy_traj.jpg

Voyage Program took advantage of an alignment that happens once in every 175 year.

Most of the multiple flyby mission are done to take advantage of the gravity assists to save fuel. Those are not free of charge since every detour made from a direct trajectory takes it toll on mission time.

Hide contents

1280px-Cassini_Interplanet_traject_DE.svimage004.jpg

Rosetta_trajectory_English.jpeg

I suggest you to just get the mod Kerbal Alarm Clock, set an alarm for your arrival at Eeloo and do something else in the meantime

OK

16 hours ago, ARS said:

First of all, you must know how to gravity assist using celestial body to boost your DeltaV. This maneuver saves fuel compared to burn directly to target when being done correctly. The way to flyby multiple planets on long journey is mostly using your probe to get a stable orbit on a celestial body, then doing prograde burn at periapsis of the celestial body while at the same time predicting the transfer window of nearby celestial body that you will use next for gravity assist. The higher the gravity of a celestial body, the better the gravity assist that can be performed. If you are able to predict next transfer window, then it should be easy to do multiple flyby. For me, I'm usually just hopping from one celestial body to another (stable orbit >wait transfer window for next target > burn to target > make stable orbit > repeat)

Hope it helps :)

Well that's help A lot because i'm still noob :) thank you for helping

1 person likes this