[1.3.X -> 1.6.X] Other_Worlds Star Pack Reboot | Redoing the whole system again!

Pkmniako

zSzVnWa.png

CHECK THE NEW VERSION, WITH A STORY MODE, HERE

Old post:

Spoiler

Now in French, Spanish and Russian!

Welcome to the Development thread of Other Worlds Reboot.
Other_Worlds was a star and planet pack that started out 2 3 years ago as my first ever ksp mod.
This time, with the knowledge that I've aquired through out the years, I'm going to redo this pack!

It will also include Sprite Parts, based on Project Starshot. It even comes with actual functionallity!

Downloads:
> Download Beta 0.5 and Changelog
> Scatterer 0.052+ Patch
Github link to Source

WARNING: You must download the correct versions of Scatterer, EnviromentalVisualEnhancments and CTTP 1.0.3 or higher

DISCLAIMER: For the moment, the SPRITE Laser Sail will be bundeled with Other Worlds Reboot as to wait for the completion of both projects

Installation:
Download CTTP and install it
Download Kopernicus and install it
For clouds install EnviromentalVisualEnhancments and for the atmospheres install Scatterer
For Loading Screens, install SigmaLoadingScreens

Drop the folder "OtherWorldsReboot" into "GameData"

Planets and Sails

Spoiler

LASER SAILS
3NSwj0K.png
Ingame Screenshot. Unfinished Probe Core, Addons not shown.
pnwubAb.png
Development Screenshot. Sail itself not shown, only holding structure.
unknown.png
Laser Generator render

Sprites allow people playing career mode to get to Cercani earlier compared to a Warp Drive.
But don't think this is free-science, as running it costs about 15000 funds per second!
You will be able to slow down with some laser stations in Cercani. This doesn't cost money, but uses a lot of electricity!

CERCANI
ZDjFqCT.png
Ingame Screenshot. Resolution boosted.
5lLODBL.png
Cercani, a K-type star not that far from Kerbol. With a good enough sail, it will take you 20 years to get there!

TRONI
sgZ7lbb.png
Ingame Screenshot. Changes to be made. - Added on Alpha 0.1
This improved Troni is highly enhanced from the original one with a new Lava Crater and a nicer terrain.
It still retains its tidal lock with Cercani making one side of the planet a big and expanse ocean and the other a cold icy desert

VASSA
1IcRo89.png
Ingame Screenshot. Scatterer config to be changed. - Added on Alpha 0.1
The new Vassa differs from Other_Worlds Original in heightmap, now with a brand new one containing big chunks of ice as coasts
It still retains its tidal lock with Cercani making one side of the planet a big and expanse ocean and the other a cold icy desert and the numerous little oceans in the dark hemisphere.

C2-1 (Asteroid Moon)
Vb6ML2C.png

Ingame Screenshot. Here shown with Vassa in the background - Added on Alpha 0.1
The new Vassa differs from Other_Worlds Original in heightmap, now with a brand new one containing big chunks of ice as coast

PEQUAR
9LHapag.png
Ingame Screenshot
This new Pequar retains its original style in the 1 year old Other_World mod, both the heightmap layout and the colors
The new color map gives the midlands a lot of detail that the previous one didn't have.

C3-1
d5mzpav.png

Ingame Screenshot
C3-1 has changed a lot from its original self some years ago.
Now it has an equatorial ridge with materials collected from the Rings of Pequar

DISOLE
oKFobHP.png
Ingame Screenshot
Nothing but the color, size and orbit is kept from the original Disole. This is a complete redesign just like Troni.
Multiple Dry Rivers cross the equator of this moon from the highlands on the south pole to the big plain in the north pole.
The craters aren't annoying as they were in the original Disole.

NIENNA
Xon7DED.png

Photostop render of new map. Rings not shown.
gAAQEKa.png
Ingame Screenshot. Clouds and new map not shown.
Just your ordinary Cloudless Ice Giant (Like Uranus or Neptune).

KEVARI
9zBBPq5.png
Ingame Screenshot
This is a full redesign of Kevari, the volcanic moon of Nienna.
It now has a style resembling the moon Io and still has an extremly thin but scorched atmosphere.

CRONS
9S5HbeM.png
Development screenshot.
The new Crons will have a diverse terrain, with a cratered hemisphere on one side, and a young and active part on the other side.
Its cratered side comes from the OW Crons, which had cratered poles. Cracks will be in its surface, but not just as a big equatorial one like the original.

NIKO
AcFTmkk.png
Both Ingame Screenshot. Left is current look. Right is future update look
The old Niko had a 1024x512 pixels map, this one is 8192x4096! A huge upgrade from the original one.
It retains the ringed crater and the darken craters, but adds medium and small ones to the mix!
The orbit of this moon will be changed in comparison from the last one.
The new map will have even more mares (This time flat!) and a better look for the mod.

PRIMA
4Pz7nl4.png
Ingame Screenshot
Just as the original Prima, this new one maintains a very flat surface with some craters around the planet.
This time the black area has been changed for a soft blue ridge with a cryovolcano that might have water vapor plumes with EVE

SECUNDA
7yBtMWc.png
Ingame Screenshot - Atmosphere not yet added.
Like the one in the original mod, Secunda keeps its main craters layout, lowland shape and placement with cracks and all! It's a double planet after all!
This new version contains as the rest of them a 8192x4096 height and color map.

byHbjDH.png

Full Res Posters here

License: CC BY-NC-ND 3.0

Credits to:

Spoiler

@Tutur - French translation

@Zarbon44 - Russian Translation

@JadeOfMaar - EVE Atmospheric effects for non-scatterer users

@Thomas P. - Creation of Kopernicus, helping me with some shenanigans and being cool in general
@CaptRobau / @Galileo / @Poodmund - Creation and maintaining of CTTP
JAXA - Altimetry Data for the heightmaps
NASA's LRO - Crater altimetry
NASA / ESA - Poles of Mars Altimetry data and part of cloud maps. Altimetry Data for the heightmaps too.
Vladimir Romanyuk (SE) - Placeholder Cloud Textures, Star backgrounds for promotional images, 80-90 degrees latitude placeholder poles of Kevari. Base of the original mod.
My fancy camera - Rest of cloud maps

A bunch of people - Giving me the will to do this

pgEHuN1.png

Edited by Pkmniako
Link to Comments for new Updates

On 8/17/2017 at 0:02 PM, Syczek said:

So u just revamping whole textures or u changing whole system layout??

Im also changing some of the orbits to make... a little bit more sense... But the moons stay with their old parent planets.

9 hours ago, Scotskerb said:

When you're done revamping the old bodies, could you add some new ones? Or even new star systems?

Who knows, if I have time I could do, I dont know... the later... :wink:

7 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

Who knows, if I have time I could do, I dont know... the later... :wink:

Maybe you could even add a star system with an insane number of planets and no room for moons... like Trappist-1, but several times as many planets!

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Troni is almost finished, as it needs some tweaking of its PQSs mods to make the surface not look so pixelated and fixing an issue with the Ocean (Lava) in Troni as it has the hitbox 4 meters above the actual 0m mark.

sgZ7lbb.png

The color ramp could be changed a little bit more to show the difference in altitude between parts of the planet.

And yet another update!

qAbBRQc.png

Vassa this time! Even with Scatterer and Clouds!

This to do:
  - The same as Troni, change the PQSs mods to make it look better (Less pixelated terrain)
  - Change the scatterer config to make sunset clouds
  - 
Make the night side look more dark. Probably to do with the atmosphere, as it's using the old one.
  - Fix a few random graphical oddities

Edited by Pkmniako

1 hour ago, UranianBlue said:

were these planets made with just Photoshop?

The planets height maps are indeed made with Photoshop and a heightmap database. Color maps are based on the heightmaps and also made on the same software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 3:27 PM, Pkmniako said:

More planets!
yTJjYOb.png

Ice caps might require some work on it.

8Hd0tFo.png

So Shiny...

9zBBPq5.png

Surface still looks a little bit pixelated, but getting better

u51JNsx.png

Worst surface yet. Have to work on it.

What do you mean "worst surface yet"? That's an amazing surface!

Yet another update!
This time, the rest of the bodies!

Spoiler

RjaeFlz.png

Crons

gmaJtpi.png

Niko: Map quality at 2048x1024. Might be boosted to 4096x2048...

4Pz7nl4.png

Prima

7yBtMWc.png

Secunda: Some of the features don't show up as good as I wanted. Needs revision.

Added a Scatterer config to Disole:

yZYOqwq.png

With this the first phase of the mod is over. Next thing is to make the surface of every single body look correctly and not pixelated from upclose. C2-1 and C3-1 will come next.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.