[1.3.X -> 1.6.X] Other_Worlds Star Pack Reboot | Redoing the whole system again!

Pkmniako

Something is going on and I am unsure what is the reason for it. So I launched a ship to the system, using NFT and SSPxR and using time control, I warped three thousand plus years ahead, I aimed my ship at the star, using the navball set it as my target, and despite all that, I am at a right angle to the star, light years away from it, despite aiming straight at it, and when I load my ship it says I am aimed at it, and yes, my prograde is aimed at the star, it was perfectly on the target marker, yet I am at a right angle to the star, thousands of light years away

Make that 5 thousand year, my ship was at the edge of the kerbal universe and the tracking station couldn't scroll out more

31776078_1023641774456373_2910725711893364736_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=0cf7da698a868e12531157623ad10e4d&oe=5B5B5B99

15 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Something is going on and I am unsure what is the reason for it. So I launched a ship to the system, using NFT and SSPxR and using time control, I warped three thousand plus years ahead, I aimed my ship at the star, using the navball set it as my target, and despite all that, I am at a right angle to the star, light years away from it, despite aiming straight at it, and when I load my ship it says I am aimed at it, and yes, my prograde is aimed at the star, it was perfectly on the target marker, yet I am at a right angle to the star, thousands of light years away

Make that 5 thousand year, my ship was at the edge of the kerbal universe and the tracking station couldn't scroll out more

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/31776078_1023641774456373_2910725711893364736_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=0cf7da698a868e12531157623ad10e4d&oe=5B5B5B99

Cercani actually orbits around Kerbol (For compatibility with other planet mods) so it actually moves a bit over time. But at a speed of 220km/s you should get there in about 20 Kerbin years (5? RL Days), so in that case you pretty much have to go faster! (Try using an oberth interstellar injection, which means going very far from kerbol and plummiting into it to gain speed)

Regarding the flag, it's already in the download.

How? It took me 2 thousand years to cross the distance albeit nowhere near it. Also I will take your advice. If it orbits Kerbol why when I make a node it doesn't show me boing on course? Also how do I get there? Do I aim at it and burn or do I need the interection to be lined up and say encounter? Btw this was a manned mission, not robotic.

45 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

How? It took me 2 thousand years to cross the distance albeit nowhere near it. Also I will take your advice. If it orbits Kerbol why when I make a node it doesn't show me boing on course? Also how do I get there? Do I aim at it and burn or do I need the interection to be lined up and say encounter? Btw this was a manned mission, not robotic.

Quick oberth interstellar injection tutorial. Cercani's orbital period is about 30000 years, which is not infinity, so point and shoot with low-velocity crafts is something you don't want to do (In real life, even a 2000 year trip would be enough to move the stars from where they were when one started the journey)

Because KSP currently doesn't like outside-kerbol trajectories (Wouldn't be bad to fix that with some fancy coding), one has to be going directly to the star when it starts it voyage, but at the same time go fast. This leaves two options: Laser Drives (a.k.a. Laser Sails and Laser Highways) or high velocity crafts.

For that last one, the most efficient way to get it to go to high speeds is using an oberth effect with Kerbol / Sun. We will call this a "Oberth Interstellar Injection" or a OII.

The speeds one wants to achive are about 100km/s on infinity (Meaning pretty much far from Kerbol), which is feasible with Near and Far Future Tech Mods

This is a chart of what one should do for this type of manouver:

vN9FlIs.png

Trajectory 1 Is one from Kerbin to a very high point above Kerbol. This can be easier with the help of Jool
Trajectory 2 shows the plummiting into Kerbol, gaining a lot of energy and getting closer and closer.
Trajectory 3 shows the final trajectory to the star (Imagine it not that straight). The engines burn have to be realized at the closest point to Kerbol. If you get above 100km/s at infinity (Say farther than Eeloo) then you have a very good chance of getting to the star (Cercani) in about 30~40 years, as this is balanced for gameplay

Also, if you want to discuss interstellar trajectories, it's better to post orbital maps, as this helps.

News:

I fixed the ground textures for the planets, hooray! Expect a small patch soon when I get the textures tiling nciely

In other news, laser highways! Coming to you... sometime in the future.

unknown.png

Edited by Pkmniako
Updated the poster a bit, mainly the background orientation

You sound like a follower of SFIA. I watch his stuff. Also, you didn't exactly say how to get there, just aim at it or to an angle? I tried aiming at first and this was the result

Me 5K years later

|

|

Kerbol ------------------------ Cercani

And that was buring straight at it with everything lined up.

Also I doubt the 30-40 year projections, I used a large crewed ship. The one I posted, a ship like that takes a hundred years to Valentine whoch is closer than your star. I will give what you suggested a try tho. Do I burn hard when heading towards the star or do I burn from Kerbin and head past eeloo then lower my periapses close to the sun, THEN burn hard once I am close to the sun?                     

4 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

a very good chance of getting to the star (Cercani) in about 30~40 years, as this is balanced for gameplay

I have a probe headed to Valentine (Extrasolar mod) and will reach a slingshot maneuver with Heba in about 25ish years. (Made in one single burn from Kerbin with about 5km/s Delta V spent) Probably will try to see If I can do the same with this.

But cool mod, do you have any plans for other planet mods after this one is finished?

I'm in the design stage for one I intend to create.

Edited by Jeb's Fireworks Guy

Behold, a pale horse.

The K.S.S Forward Unto Nebula

Two.8 MILLION delta v, on an interstellar mission. Did a hard gravity assist from the sun and now it is burning hard for it's target system, should arrive in 5 thousand years, but I can probably cut that down to 100 (I guess) if I exhaust 30% of my fuel. It can carry a crew of 120 kerbals frozen, currently has 10 with 1 awake for the burn, can also carry tons of supplies. I don't think ANYONE has done this in KSP before. Truly, MAKING HISTORY.

Image may contain: night

Image may contain: night

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Not the final version, since I think I went a bit overboard, I am gonna revisit the design and do something different after the burn is done, cause I realized I don't need it to be that powerful, because that much delta v means nothing when it is ungodly slow

Terrain is implemented, though it lags the game heavely, so I'm going to have to take a look into that. I think the effect of the terrain textures should be more sharp, what do you think.

unknown.png

So this is the To-Do list for the next week or so:

- Fix terrain textures lag.
 - Add primitive Nienna clouds
 - Disole's Scatterer config (?)
 - Start coding Laser Highways (?)

And an extra screenshot I guess

unknown.png

Edited by Pkmniako

Hey, I really like what you're doing with the pack but I have an issue..

When I try to land on Vassa there is a surface, but only a blank white texture. Am I experiencing a faulty install or is Vassa currently unfinished? 

(Also thanks for making Pequar sexy)

2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Hey, I really like what you're doing with the pack but I have an issue..

When I try to land on Vassa there is a surface, but only a blank white texture. Am I experiencing a faulty install or is Vassa currently unfinished? 

(Also thanks for making Pequar sexy)

Next small patch is focused on that. But I think publishing it with lots of lag isn't the best thing. You will have to cope with it for now. (Unless you love lag, in that case tell me)

Hi! First I'd like to say I love the look of this mod, and thanks for your contribution.

Second, a question. Is this system stable with Principia and with Real Solar System? I did read the thread, but didn't find any mention of either - sorry if I missed it.

Thanks!

Edited by Lefe

On 5/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, Lefe said:

Hi! First I'd like to say I love the look of this mod, and thanks for your contribution.

Second, a question. Is this system stable with Principia and with Real Solar System? I did read the thread, but didn't find any mention of either - sorry if I missed it.

Thanks!

This mod is compatible with RSS, though it might be a bit offseting, as the sizes of these planets are in kerbal scale, not RSS scale
I'm planning on adding Principia compatibility. That will require some orbital arrangment changes.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.