[1.3.X -> 1.6.X] Other_Worlds Star Pack Reboot | Redoing the whole system again!

Pkmniako

• 2 weeks later...

y9nlWBC.png
Now in french, spanish and russian!

Download Beta 0.5

Celestial Bodies

• Moved Cercani to its spot in IC
  • Cercani is now at a distance of 3.2 ki (3.2*10^13 m) away from home
  • Added asteroidal moon C4-1 orbiting Nienna
  • Added asteroidal moon C4-2 orbiting Nienna
  • Revamped Niko's map to have a better fitting look
  • Nienna's moons' orbits have been tweaked
  • Decreased the mass of Crons
  • Prima and Secunda are now proper binaries
  • Localization of planet's descriptions and names (French and Russian)
  • Non-Scatterer atmospheric effect if only using EVE (Credits go to @JadeOfMaar)
  • Updated Atmospheres of all the planets. Now these work with Sigma Dimensions
  • Added Orbital Icons that were teased with the implementation of the feature
  • Changed Cercani's Rotation period
  • Changed Pequar's Surface Pressure to 0.2 atm
  • Changed Disole's Surface Pressure to 1.7 atm
  • Refined C2-1's and C3-1's color textures

Gameplay

• Medium sized Laser Sails
  • Laser Generator
  • Easy to use UI
  • Ability to slow down a sail with lasers
  • Addition of ContractConfigurator contracts for exploration of interstellar space
  • Ore, CRP Resources and Classic Resources Distribution on all planets

Fixes

• Fixed Scatterer-OnDemand loading bug. Even faster loading.
  • Fixed Non-Scatterer flare
  • Fixed Cercani's size and mass problem
  • Fixed strage sphere orbiting Nienna
  • Fixed Atmospheric Rims on some of the planets
  • Fixed weird coloring on some planets' surfaces

Other

• French/Spanish/Russian translation of Part Descriptions/Names & Planet Descriptions/Biomes (Thanks to @Tutur and @Zarbon44 for their respective translations!)
  • Compatibility with Interstellar Consortium
  • Better organization of folders
  • Fixed possible cause of incompatibility with SVE

Edited by Pkmniako
Mentions

6 hours ago, ILoveStars said:

;.; Terea.......

oh god in how many months is it coming? I'm desperate.

:DI'd like to advise you to learn to savor (enjoy for a while) what is available to you as is and appreciate the effort that goes into making a planet pack. You can easily install many of the major and current planet mods together for a nice, plump star system but you just asked Gameslinx if and when he's adding more planets, and these things are either not easy to make, or not easy to develop an original and interesting idea for.

GPP + GEP + OWR + Extrasolar + any one of Gameslinx's packs or Whirligig World for the main system add up to nearly 90 worlds around about 6 stars.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'm so hyped for the mod to be downloaded so I can test those new translations, they will be great! (Wait, isn't it me who wrote those? I also heard there is other new things as the translations)

Edited by Tutur
typo kek

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

:DI'd like to advise you to learn to savor (enjoy for a while) what is available to you as is and appreciate the effort that goes into making a planet pack. You can easily install many of the major and current planet mods together for a nice, plump star system but you just asked Gameslinx if and when he's adding more planets, and these things are either not easy to make, or not easy to develop an original and interesting idea for.

GPP + GEP + OWR + Extrasolar + any one of Gameslinx's packs or Whirligig World for the main system add up to nearly 90 worlds around about 6 stars.

nice ok

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

yeah I mean that is an incredible amount of stars.

But that's nothing compared to To Boldly Go... :P

Does this mod support ksp principia or are there any known incompatibilities with principia? Thank you for the awesome mod!

edit: so far there seems to be an immediate collision between Secunda and Prima at the start of any new game. I have tried simulating a full year and haven't noticed any other collisions. But there could be more unstable orbits at longer time scales. My programming knowledge is very limited but I can see what I can do to patch this issue. Any advice or assistance is always appreciated though! :D

Edited by Einstein_Cross_X1

8 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

Does this mod support ksp principia or are there any known incompatibilities with principia? Thank you for the awesome mod!

edit: so far there seems to be an immediate collision between Secunda and Prima at the start of any new game. I have tried simulating a full year and haven't noticed any other collisions. But there could be more unstable orbits at longer time scales. My programming knowledge is very limited but I can see what I can do to patch this issue. Any advice or assistance is always appreciated though! :D

Some stuff could be changed to fit principia. The barycenter is an object which has mass, so you would want to remove it. The system is stable in an n-body simulation by itself, but because the star has a period longer that what it should be in the orbit it is, it might come crashing into Kerbol

4 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

Some stuff could be changed to fit principia. The barycenter is an object which has mass, so you would want to remove it. The system is stable in an n-body simulation by itself, but because the star has a period longer that what it should be in the orbit it is, it might come crashing into Kerbol

Thanks for the quick reply! :) I really like this mod as it doesn't hurt performance nearly as much as other system packs and it still looks gorgeous! Any advice on which values to change? I can make a patch pretty quickly but honestly I'm absolutely clueless as to what values for prima, secunda, or the new system as a whole should be. For example Im not sure what the values should be in this code for PrimaSecunda:

Orbit
		{
            referenceBody = PrimaSecunda
            inclination = 0
            eccentricity = 0
            semiMajorAxis = 916556.45064326
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 30
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpochD = 0
            epoch = 0
            color = 0.9,0.9,0.9,1

period = 56801.5005151051
			iconTexture = OtherWorldsReboot/CercaniSystem/Textures/OrbitIcons/iconPrima.png
		}

Properties
		{
           	description = #LOC_OWR_Description_Prima
			displayName = #LOC_OWR_Name_Prima
            radius = 252000
            geeASL = 0.2
			//rotationPeriod = 46134.589375
			rotates = true
			tidallyLocked = true
			initialRotation = 0
			isHomeWorld = false
			timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 5000 10000 25000 50000 100000 200000

sphereOfInfluence = 1603443.54935673

biomeMap = OtherWorldsReboot/CercaniSystem/PluginData/Prima_biome.png

On 3/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

Thanks for the quick reply! :) I really like this mod as it doesn't hurt performance nearly as much as other system packs and it still looks gorgeous! Any advice on which values to change? I can make a patch pretty quickly but honestly I'm absolutely clueless as to what values for prima, secunda, or the new system as a whole should be. For example Im not sure what the values should be in this code for PrimaSecunda:

Orbit
		{
            referenceBody = PrimaSecunda
            inclination = 0
            eccentricity = 0
            semiMajorAxis = 916556.45064326
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 30
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpochD = 0
            epoch = 0
            color = 0.9,0.9,0.9,1

period = 56801.5005151051
			iconTexture = OtherWorldsReboot/CercaniSystem/Textures/OrbitIcons/iconPrima.png
		}

Properties
		{
           	description = #LOC_OWR_Description_Prima
			displayName = #LOC_OWR_Name_Prima
            radius = 252000
            geeASL = 0.2
			//rotationPeriod = 46134.589375
			rotates = true
			tidallyLocked = true
			initialRotation = 0
			isHomeWorld = false
			timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 5000 5000 10000 25000 50000 100000 200000

sphereOfInfluence = 1603443.54935673

biomeMap = OtherWorldsReboot/CercaniSystem/PluginData/Prima_biome.png

Would simply setting the mass of PrimaSecunda to nothing work, or would that make PrimaSecunda itself fly out of spacetime into oblivion?

Unrelatedly, is Scatterer necessary or merely recommended? Because I have reason to believe that scatterer is screwing up my oceans, and I really want to use this pack. 

In my next playthrough I've decided I want to set a goal of placing MKS colonies on planets in an extra-kerbol system like this. Originally I was going to use Extrasolar as I was familiar with it, but within the last week the mod's dev decided without warning that they were apparently done, locking all of their threads and shutting down their github. I ended up here instead and like what I see, but I've got a few questions.

First, considering my goal of putting colonies in the remote system, that's going to mean a need to send large craft across the void, but from what I can tell, the sails included in this mod are not intended for large manned ships. Are the sails capable of propelling such craft? If not, are there plans to add some that will? The reason I ask is because I'd very much like to avoid all the added complexity of KSPI-E since that mod adds so many extra mechanics that don't tend to play well with other mods.

The next question I've got is whether or not you'll need a laser on both ends of the journey to accelerate and decelerate using the sails. I've been looking through the thread and haven't really come up with an answer so far. This again goes back to my desire not to have to deal with KSPI-E if I don't have to. And finally, is support for Karbonite / Kethane already included in some fashion or are there plans to add it in the future?

Thanks

2 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

In my next playthrough I've decided I want to set a goal of placing MKS colonies on planets in an extra-kerbol system like this. Originally I was going to use Extrasolar as I was familiar with it, but within the last week the mod's dev decided without warning that they were apparently done, locking all of their threads and shutting down their github. I ended up here instead and like what I see, but I've got a few questions.

First, considering my goal of putting colonies in the remote system, that's going to mean a need to send large craft across the void, but from what I can tell, the sails included in this mod are not intended for large manned ships. Are the sails capable of propelling such craft? If not, are there plans to add some that will? The reason I ask is because I'd very much like to avoid all the added complexity of KSPI-E since that mod adds so many extra mechanics that don't tend to play well with other mods.

The next question I've got is whether or not you'll need a laser on both ends of the journey to accelerate and decelerate using the sails. I've been looking through the thread and haven't really come up with an answer so far. This again goes back to my desire not to have to deal with KSPI-E if I don't have to. And finally, is support for Karbonite / Kethane already included in some fashion or are there plans to add it in the future?

Thanks

If you simply must have sails, I'm afraid KSPI-E is the only real answer. The solar sailor mod is technically separate from KSPI-E, but it is the same sails. If you're willing to "settle" for extremely powerful fusion/antimatter/nuclear propulsion, I'd recommend Angel-125's Deep Space Exploration Vehicles, Nertea's Far Future Technologies, and RoverDude's Orion drive as well as the Karborundum engines from Karbonite+.

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

If you simply must have sails, I'm afraid KSPI-E is the only real answer. The solar sailor mod is technically separate from KSPI-E, but it is the same sails. If you're willing to "settle" for extremely powerful fusion/antimatter/nuclear propulsion, I'd recommend Angel-125's Deep Space Exploration Vehicles, Nertea's Far Future Technologies, and RoverDude's Orion drive as well as the Karborundum engines from Karbonite+.

It's not that I'm attached to sails, they are just what is currently included in this mod as a means for making the journey out to the new system. I already have NFT and Karbonite+, but I'll have to have a look at the Orion drive and the Deep Space Exploration Vehicles. Ultimately the idea is to get something that can make the journey that doesn't add the 15 extra layers of complexity onto progression that KSPI-E does with its new mechanics and its refusal to use pretty much any of the CRP / Vanilla assets.

8 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

It's not that I'm attached to sails, they are just what is currently included in this mod as a means for making the journey out to the new system. I already have NFT and Karbonite+, but I'll have to have a look at the Orion drive and the Deep Space Exploration Vehicles. Ultimately the idea is to get something that can make the journey that doesn't add the 15 extra layers of complexity onto progression that KSPI-E does with its new mechanics and its refusal to use pretty much any of the CRP / Vanilla assets.

That’s totally understandable, I have a major complexity addiction and I still never use about 2/3rds of the stuff from KSPI-E. Also, FFT is still not quite done, unlike NFT.

10 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I already have NFT

10 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

that doesn't add the 15 extra layers of complexity onto progression that KSPI-E does 

Far Future Technologies, not Near future.

Also, FFT may be what you are looking for. 

It's similar to KSPI in terms of included engines, but with the simplicity (and actual model quality) of NF Propulsion.

7 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

That’s totally understandable, I have a major complexity addiction and I still never use about 2/3rds of the stuff from KSPI-E. Also, FFT is still not quite done, unlike NFT.

5 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Far Future Technologies, not Near future.

Also, FFT may be what you are looking for. 

It's similar to KSPI in terms of included engines, but with the simplicity (and actual model quality) of NF Propulsion.

Don't get me wrong, I also tend to have a major complexity addiction with KSP... for example my current install is well over 200 mods. I've also really tried hard in the past to ensure KSPI-E was a core part of many of my saves as I really like what it has to offer. The problem is that because it uses so many resources that aren't in any other mod and you can't really KSPI-E to work with the more common resources, I end up spending a lot of time writing patches to make other mods fit well with KSPI-E. When you've got hundreds of mods in the way I do, that means for every hour of play time I get, I tend to have at least 1-2 hours of patching and then waiting for the game to load (usually that alone takes 10-15 mins and I always seem to need to reload the game at least 2-3 times in a row). If it weren't for that mess, this wouldn't even be a question, though you do bring up a good point about the model quality of KSPI-E. While a lot of the models are pretty good, more than a few core parts look less than stellar.

I'll have a look at FFT as I'm not really all that in love just yet with the engines from DSEV. "Explodium" and "Propellium" are an order of magnitude more Kerbal even than "Karbondium" and I'm the type of player who always has Real Fuels installed. And while I know the NPE is a real concept that was actually tested in limited fashion, its never seemed all that feasible since it would mean you're essentially riding a nuclear arms dump around the system. Plus I always imagined it to be less than controllable since getting all that energy to apply to the ship evenly would be nearly impossible.

3 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I always imagined it to be less than controllable since getting all that energy to apply to the ship evenly would be nearly impossible.

If I remember  right, The "propellent" itself would be ejected dead center through the pusher plate. So I doubt there would be that much precision inaccuracy.
In itself, the ship is only riding the explosion, capturing all of the plasma wave would be rather hard and also rather unnecessary (since the revived deltaV is already A lot).
Also I don't really get how carrying multiple tons of nuclear material is related to the engineering feasibility of Project Orion.

Spoiler

But I personally recommend not to use Roverdudes Project orion. It isn't a bad mod per-se, but it doesn't do the real Orion justice (to small, magical girl particles instead of proper explosions, constant acceleration) and the only real Project Orion  mod is broken atm.

5 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I'll have a look at FFT as I'm not really all that in love just yet with the engines from DSEV. "Explodium" and "Propellium" are an order of magnitude more Kerbal even than "Karbondium" and I'm the type of player who always has Real Fuels installed. And while I know the NPE is a real concept that was actually tested in limited fashion, its never seemed all that feasible since it would mean you're essentially riding a nuclear arms dump around the system. Plus I always imagined it to be less than controllable since getting all that energy to apply to the ship evenly would be nearly impossible.

You have to switch it from classic stock mode to CRP mode. That’ll replace Explodium with Nuclear Saltwater and Propellium with Liquid Hydrogen.

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion works? Would work? Because nuclear bombs necessarily are built to very narrow engineering tolerances. 

4 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

If I remember  right, The "propellent" itself would be ejected dead center through the pusher plate. So I doubt there would be that much precision inaccuracy.
In itself, the ship is only riding the explosion, capturing all of the plasma wave would be rather hard and also rather unnecessary (since the revived deltaV is already A lot).
Also I don't really get how carrying multiple tons of nuclear material is related to the engineering feasibility of Project Orion.

Reveal hidden contents

But I personally recommend not to use Roverdudes Project orion. It isn't a bad mod per-se, but it doesn't do the real Orion justice (to small, magical girl particles instead of proper explosions, constant acceleration) and the only real Project Orion  mod is broken atm.

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

You have to switch it from classic stock mode to CRP mode. That’ll replace Explodium with Nuclear Saltwater and Propellium with Liquid Hydrogen.

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion works? Would work? Because nuclear bombs necessarily are built to very narrow engineering tolerances. 

It is correct that the bombs would have been discharged from the center of the pusher plate, and that nuclear weapons have incredibly strict engineering tolerances, but there are two key issues here that would affect the NPE's efficacy. First, even if you set the strictest practical manufacturing tolerances, you're building a mechanism that must deliver a device repeatedly to exactly the same position with no variance and then survive a nuclear explosion before repeating the process again. This means the delivery mechanism would have be more robust than pretty much anything we've ever built, while also leaving no room for wear and tear. If a bomb gets stuck in the chute, or catches and drifts off to the side, you're going to have asymmetric thrust at best and potentially setting of a nuclear explosion within the ship at worst. There is also the issue of debris from the explosions damaging or otherwise degrading the mechanism which could lead to the above issues all over again.

The second issue is that nuclear explosions are not actually perfectly uniform as the fissionable material within the reaction isn't perfectly distributed with no irregularities. This could easily lead to asymmetrical thrust in the same way that an out of place bomb would produce. Add in to all of this the fact that the pusher plate would have to be able to withstand the force of countless nuclear explosions without failing and that the whole ship would need to be able to withstand countless sudden accelerations and the whole thing, while interesting, doesn't seem realistic or functionally feasible. And the comment about needing to carry tons of nuclear material is definitely pertinent to Project Orion. Had it actually made it off the ground, it would have had to carry hundreds, if not thousands, of nuclear devices, the potential for malfunctions that could lead to large amounts of those devices detonating or their fissionable material being spread across the surface of a planet is just too great to overlook.

22 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

It is correct that the bombs would have been discharged from the center of the pusher plate, and that nuclear weapons have incredibly strict engineering tolerances, but there are two key issues here that would affect the NPE's efficacy. First, even if you set the strictest practical manufacturing tolerances, you're building a mechanism that must deliver a device repeatedly to exactly the same position with no variance and then survive a nuclear explosion before repeating the process again. This means the delivery mechanism would have be more robust than pretty much anything we've ever built, while also leaving no room for wear and tear. If a bomb gets stuck in the chute, or catches and drifts off to the side, you're going to have asymmetric thrust at best and potentially setting of a nuclear explosion within the ship at worst. There is also the issue of debris from the explosions damaging or otherwise degrading the mechanism which could lead to the above issues all over again.

The second issue is that nuclear explosions are not actually perfectly uniform as the fissionable material within the reaction isn't perfectly distributed with no irregularities. This could easily lead to asymmetrical thrust in the same way that an out of place bomb would produce. Add in to all of this the fact that the pusher plate would have to be able to withstand the force of countless nuclear explosions without failing and that the whole ship would need to be able to withstand countless sudden accelerations and the whole thing, while interesting, doesn't seem realistic or functionally feasible. And the comment about needing to carry tons of nuclear material is definitely pertinent to Project Orion. Had it actually made it off the ground, it would have had to carry hundreds, if not thousands, of nuclear devices, the potential for malfunctions that could lead to large amounts of those devices detonating or their fissionable material being spread across the surface of a planet is just too great to overlook.

The pusher plate would be durable by basis of sheer mass (some variants were actually designed so the pusher plate would slowly be worn away), and the hydraulics would in theory smooth out the thrust. Most of the problems are solved by the Medusa variant, which uses a parachute-shaped spinnaker instead of a pusher plate. Only useful in space, but distinctly safer, more efficient, and probably lighter. Rather than needing heavy reinforcement, it simply uses distance. 

But as the previous poster has stated, RoverDude’s Orion drive is sadly more of a standard torch drive, lacking the unique features of nuclear pulse propulsion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.