Kurld

F12 setting orbit cheat bug?

Question

I was messing around with a mockup of a rediculously-sized station I am contemplating building.  I wanted to use the "set orbit" to get a feel for how I might be able to use KIS/KAS to place some struts in-flight.

I want to say I have used this cheat menu before with no issues, but today it is acting, well, bizarre. I told it to used Kerbin, clicked "set orbit" with the default altitude, and it put me in space. What it didn't do was actually put me in an orbit... It set me in space with absolutely no lateral velocity, so I fell straight down.

Have I done something wrong (did I imagine it worked before?) or is this something that just happens with 350+ part monstrosities?

7 answers to this question

I figured out that I was hitting Set Orbit maybe before physics had loaded all the way.  I was doing this to avoid the craft exploding on the pad.  I put a bunch of launch stabilizers on it and waited for it to settle before hitting Set Orbit and it was happy.

After a certain amount of KAS struts being attached the physics does something weird, I get some phantom forces and the Mk2 lander I am using for a root part simply comes unglued from the fuel tank below it. I turned off SAS and everything before going on EVA. Annoying. But this problem with Set Orbit is solved.

This was a bug that was happening during prerelease. Which exact version are you using? And if you got the game from steam, have you verified your files yet?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have the latest update that I know about (1.3)

I have A LOT of mods, but like I say, I swear it was working earlier.  I'll try narrowing it down later, see if it happens with simpler vessels, etc.

To be clear you can just load that screen and hit the button and it will put you into a circular orbit at Kerbin ~ 87km, correct? 

I bought the game from Squad and updated from 1.2.2, which IIRC was also updated from 1.2.1.  I don't recall the last time I downloaded the full installer.

Edited by Kurld
expand & clarify

OK, definitely something about that craft.  I loaded up a simple 3 part ship and it worked as expected.  Loaded up the monstrosity and it did the buggy thing again.

I've seen that from time to time on 1.2.2. In all cases, clicking on "set orbit" or whatever again solves the problem.

Yeah, if you load the cheat menu before physics eased in, then from time to time the "set orbit" function doesn't give you any velocity. Happened quite a few times to me in 1.2.2. Doing it again after physics were loaded solves the problem.

Hitting set orbit again (in orbit) didn't seem to do anything for me. But I've slept since then :-)