[CLOSED] Reusability Challenge- Reusable rocket challenge with a twist.

"Impress me", you said?

I think this should do the trick.

All stock, except that I used Tweakscale here and there to make it a bit easier on myself. I also used infinite fuel for the skycranes, since I wasn't really up to spending countless hours doing a challenging skycrane stage-mating with jet engines.

Fully-reusable two-stage-to-orbit relaysat launcher. Primary launch vehicle, initial payload, refueling rigs, and secondary payload were all loaded in a single "launch". No "recovery" button use.

screenshot0.png

First payload, upper stage, lower stage, and recovery/refueling rigs along with skycranes and second payload, all loaded onto the runway (for space considerations) at once.

screenshot1.png

First recovery/refueling rig decoupled and backed away. I didn't end up needing to use this one at all.

screenshot2.png

Second rig, with upper-stage recovery skycrane attached, decoupled and moved away.

screenshot3.png

Third rig with second payload and attached skycrane, decoupled and backed away.

screenshot4.png

Closing the second-stage engine cowlings.

screenshot5.png

Liftoff!

screenshot6.png

Climbing rapidly. Tweakscaling a Vector up to 2.5 meters might have been overkill.

screenshot7.png

Throttled down. Nearly a vertical ascent.

screenshot9.png

Still barely doing any gravity turn.

screenshot10.png

Just need to get up out of the atmosphere.

screenshot11.png

That should do it!

screenshot12.png

Reserving approximately 25% of first-stage propellant seems to work.

screenshot13.png

Decoupling, ramps open, fairing jettisoned, Dart engines ignited!

screenshot14.png

screenshot15.png

Second stage rapidly outpaces the first stage.

screenshot16.png

Circularization node set.

screenshot17.png

Circularized! Now, back to the first stage.

screenshot18.png

Still in a ballistic trajectory. Airbrakes out.

screenshot19.png

Transferring fuel down to keep the COM as low as possible.

screenshot20.png

Preparing to adjust trajectory.

screenshot21.png

Edging over just slightly to cancel horizontal velocity. The map view is misleading; it takes the surface speed into account for the rocket trajectory but not for the surface itself.

screenshot22.png

Continuing to adjust trajectory while burning through re-entry.

screenshot23.png

Engine off; re-entry is not too bad, really.

screenshot24.png

Starting my (slow) landing burn. No hoverslams for me!

screenshot26.png

Throttling up now that I'm dangerously close to the surface.

screenshot27.png

Will I make it?

screenshot29.png

I believe so!

screenshot32.png

Managed, with the barest of fuel reserves remaining!

screenshot34.png

Now my first refueling rig heads off for its job. Note the secondary payload mounted on top. Each of these rigs has a probe core, a docking port, a single RTG, and a fuel cell array.

screenshot35.png

Approaching the target.

screenshot36.png

Mated!

screenshot37.png

Initial refueling.

screenshot39.png

Now here goes my second rig with attached S2 retrieval skycrane.

screenshot40.png

Approaching...

screenshot41.png

Also mated!

screenshot42.png

Fuel transfer complete; first stage is fully-fueled.

screenshot43.png

Back to orbit to check on my little friend.

screenshot44.png

First relaysat away and fully-functioning!

screenshot45.png

Note that periapsis is above 100 km. Honestly, this had enough margin to do KTO but I didn't want to bother with it.

screenshot46.png

Burning to deorbit. This took a few tries to get right.

screenshot47.png

I had a very small periapsis window.

screenshot48.png

Jettisoned the payload adapter.

screenshot50.png

Heat shield exposed; airbrakes out!

screenshot51.png

Heating up.

screenshot53.png

Coming in really hot.

screenshot54.png

I had to toggle the airbrakes manually to keep them from overheating.

screenshot55.png

Opening the engine ramps as the KSC comes into sight.

screenshot56.png

Entry burn to kill speed before I hit the water.

screenshot57.png

Reached terminal velocity.

screenshot58.png

Descending. Fuel is going to be tight.

screenshot59.png

Landing burn started.

screenshot61.png

Still descending.

screenshot63.png

Made it with bingo fuel!

screenshot64.png

Quite a distance from where I need to be.

screenshot65.png

Skycrane time! This is where I turned on infinite fuel. Without KER is something else to help me construct it, it was either infinite-fuel skycrane or jet engines, and jet engines don't change their throttle settings fast enough to be used for this kind of finely-controlled work.

screenshot66.png

Heading out to pick up the upper stage.

screenshot67.png

Landed next to it; ready to maneuver into position.

screenshot68.png

Hovering...

screenshot70.png

Coming in slowly...

screenshot73.png

Mated!

screenshot74.png

Skycrane lifting off, taking the upper stage back toward KSC.

screenshot75.png

Wasting no time.

screenshot77.png

Leveling out.

screenshot78.png

Lining it up...

screenshot82.png

Steady as she goes...

screenshot94.png

Easing in.

screenshot95.png

Mated!

screenshot99.png

Decoupled the skycrane.

screenshot100.png

Landing the skycrane well away.

screenshot101.png

Landed!

screenshot102.png

Decoupled the skycrane with the second payload.

screenshot103.png

Hovering over...

screenshot104.png

Lining it up.

screenshot105.png

Payload mated!

screenshot106.png

Skycrane released.

screenshot108.png

Skycrane down.

screenshot109.png

Refueling the upper stage.

screenshot110.png

Refueling rig decoupled and pulled away.

screenshot111.png

Second refueling rig decoupled and pulled away.

screenshot112.png

Ready for relaunch!

screenshot113.png

Launched, raising landing legs.

screenshot114.png

Not going to worry about recovery on this one so I'm doing a slightly more aggressive turn.

screenshot115.png

Past the recovery point.

screenshot116.png

First stage burnout.

screenshot117.png

Second stage separation and ignition!

screenshot118.png

Headed toward orbit.

screenshot119.png

Fairing jettison.

screenshot121.png

Circularizing.

screenshot122.png

Made it!

screenshot123.png

Decoupled the fairing and payload adapter (background).

screenshot124.png

All systems go!

screenshot125.png

Two relays put up in two launches with a single launch vehicle, no recovery.
**takes a bow**

45 minutes ago, SquaadZulu said:

@sevenperforce Impressive, but I am going to deduct some points for "Infinite Fuel". I would try to use a flatbed truck in order to recover that one payload stage, then used the skycrane to mate the stages. I will PM you your badge.

Deduct away. But, in my defense, I wouldn't have been able to mate the stages without infinite fuel at all, not without hundreds and hundreds of quicksaves. It's just extremely tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

OH. Ohhh, may have to finally take this out for more than just a shakedown run/test flight for this challenge...

gtb2nH3.png
6rn6am9.png

*Note that this isn't an entry, not yet, but that I'll probably being using this rocket (which is based on the last released SpaceX ITS proposal) and ship (the payload).

Will be doing the launch for a submission shortly- ship should easily get up to 100x100km orbit no problem, the biggest hassle is fine-steering the reentry portion close to touchdown.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

How does this count then? My career mode I always work to a reusable system once fund and tech levels are high enough.

I launch a heavy mining rig to Minimus, where she will stay for evermore. Also goes a tanker to sit in Minimus orbit, but with the ability to deliver large amounts of fuel anywhere in the system, after collecting it from the rig.

Then tourists are sent up in a bus (codename Holy Grail), and it can deliver small payloads on it's nose to anywhere in the Kerbin System. The SRB stage used to fire the bus into a sub-orbit will land in the peninsula east of the KSC, on parachutes, where it can be recovered. (I see an opportunity to build a recovery vehicle to get the SRB parts, but I think it would not be cost effective).

The bus and payload meets the tanker in Minimus orbit, usually after landing on the lakes, and refuels. She can then either land on The Mun and return to KSC, or head to Duna, meet the rig/tanker combo around Ike, land on either Duna or Ike, refuel as needed, then head back to Kerbin SOI, take whatever fuel is needed and land at KSC. The only part that requires crew is on the Rigs, as a communications network is launched separately - the bus is fully automated.

Meeting any stations along the way, of setting up an RV to rescue a stranded Kerbal (there are ladders for easy EVA ship transfer), or departing at a poor planetary alignment can be factored into the fuel load.

For building stations (I have not felt the need to make really huge ones yet) I would put a similar mass into a fairing instead of the bus and either move it under it's own power; or use one of my re-usable tugs to put it where it needs to be.

I can't post pictures yet, because the system is not fully 100% complete..... but if it is the sort of thing that you're looking for - I can work harder to get it all working.

p.s loving the challenge idea.

2 minutes ago, Andetch said:

How does this count then? My career mode I always work to a reusable system once fund and tech levels are high enough.

I launch a heavy mining rig to Minimus, where she will stay for evermore. Also goes a tanker to sit in Minimus orbit, but with the ability to deliver large amounts of fuel anywhere in the system, after collecting it from the rig.

Then tourists are sent up in a bus (codename Holy Grail), and it can deliver small payloads on it's nose to anywhere in the Kerbin System. The SRB stage used to fire the bus into a sub-orbit will land in the peninsula east of the KSC, on parachutes, where it can be recovered. (I see an opportunity to build a recovery vehicle to get the SRB parts, but I think it would not be cost effective).

The bus and payload meets the tanker in Minimus orbit, usually after landing on the lakes, and refuels. She can then either land on The Mun and return to KSC, or head to Duna, meet the rig/tanker combo around Ike, land on either Duna or Ike, refuel as needed, then head back to Kerbin SOI, take whatever fuel is needed and land at KSC. The only part that requires crew is on the Rigs, as a communications network is launched separately - the bus is fully automated.

Meeting any stations along the way, of setting up an RV to rescue a stranded Kerbal (there are ladders for easy EVA ship transfer), or departing at a poor planetary alignment can be factored into the fuel load.

For building stations (I have not felt the need to make really huge ones yet) I would put a similar mass into a fairing instead of the bus and either move it under it's own power; or use one of my re-usable tugs to put it where it needs to be.

I can't post pictures yet, because the system is not fully 100% complete..... but if it is the sort of thing that you're looking for - I can work harder to get it all working.

p.s loving the challenge idea.

You do what you want. But you must upload pics or gif or vid link in order to receive the badge.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.