[1.3] NavBallTextureChanger v1.6 (8/7/17)

NavBall Texture Changer

r1p50iW.jpg  TZiEJdi.jpg

No longer do you have to keep the same boring NavBall texture. You can now change it to any texture you please through this simple plugin, originally made by @xEvilReeperx and continued by yours truly. It works all areas where you could see a NavBall (flight, map, IVA) and easily allows you to substitute your own replacement.

Download for 1.3 (source)

Download for 1.2.2 (source)

How to use it:

1. Place the NavBallTextureReplacer folder into your GameData folder
  2. Run the game. Enter flight scene in any ship.
  3. Exit KSP. Edit the config file inside NavBallTextureChanger/PluginData/NavBallTextureChanger/settings.cfg to your liking. The texture urls can be fully qualified or relative to the skins directory. They are extensionless filenames. For example, if you put your custom skin inside the skins folder and called it "mySkin.png", you would set TextureUrl = mySkin or TextureUrl = NavBallTextureChanger/Skins/mySkin
  4. The stock IVA navball uses an emissive texture to make it a little more readable. You can edit the color (RGBA floats) and/or supply your own emissive texture.
  5. The texture will replace both the flight and IVA view unless the appropriate option is disabled
  6. Enjoy!

Changelog:

• 1.6 - Updated for 1.3; changed logging system
  • 1.5 - Updated for 1.2
  • 1.4 - Updated for 1.1.2
  • 1.3 - Fixed a rare bug somebody had once; removed some debug code that caused unnecessary log spam each time the plugin loaded
  • 1.2 - Fixed an issue that caused only a single instance of the flight and iva NavBall to be changed
  • 1.1.a - Fixed working directory issue when KSP is launched by an external program. Folder can now be renamed and/or moved anywhere, as long as it's under KSP's GameData dir
  • 1.1 - Fixed issue preventing NavBall texture from being changed if the vessel doesn't have an iva view
  • 1.0.a - Now includes iva
  • 1.0 - Released

Future Plans:

• Add a GUI for changing NavBall texture in-game

NavBall Texture Posting Guidelines:

• Make sure that you upload it as a png or some other non-lossy format
  • If there's no license included in your post, it will be assumed to be CC-BY (can be reused, as long as credited) 

Credits:

Licence: MIT

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

This is a library of NavBall textures, sorted by author (if anyone doesn't wand their work featured here let me know):

@kBob

ivWNhX2.png

0W3BLtB.png

yedGnpr.png

ZZoN5mG.png

XHuBIqY.png

eWNNmmW.png

@5thHorseman

navball_blackgrey.png

navball.png

navball_brownblue.png

@razark

c0izcIM.png

Lo6aBD8.png

tOwivVP.png

@regex

CZAAomb.png

@Proot

KzNlOWT.png

@tygoo7

ND8ghhc.png

SunQvrZ.png

@White Owl

kbrZiQ2.png

@neamerjell

S327xHn.png

@XedMada

DarkBall.png

@zotlynn

wfOPWHi.png

3TlUcDo.png

@Barking Sands

HUDNav_Ball.png

HUDNav_Ball.png

HUDNav_Ball.png

HUDNav_Ball.png

HUDNav_Ball.png

HUDNav_Ball.png

@Lokaltog

GheWNEF.png (mit license)

@Stone Blue

wcQxFMa.png

JpOn0Ll.png

@FalconB

gyJjq7f.png

@Trekky0623

pF3BC6V.png

@Zasnold

TVAzp5I.jpg

@evileye.x

wb2mpmt.png

First:
Awesome that you've taken this on!  I've come to love the ability to change the navball.

Second:
The library is a great idea.  I've actually been using another one that I haven't posted yet.  Should we just post those to the thread, or would you like people to send them to you to help keep the thread clean?

Ohgod, that teal monstrosity... I switched to poop-brown at one point and it was glorious, I might have to make a new one. Also, @eggrobin made a few for Principia, not sure what the license on those is but they're probably fairly permissive and they look good (think he still has a utility to make them procedurally...)

2 hours ago, razark said:

First:
Awesome that you've taken this on!  I've come to love the ability to change the navball.

Second:
The library is a great idea.  I've actually been using another one that I haven't posted yet.  Should we just post those to the thread, or would you like people to send them to you to help keep the thread clean?

Feel free to post any new ones in the thread

2 hours ago, regex said:

Ohgod, that teal monstrosity... I switched to poop-brown at one point and it was glorious, I might have to make a new one. Also, @eggrobin made a few for Principia, not sure what the license on those is but they're probably fairly permissive and they look good (think he still has a utility to make them procedurally...)

I'll take a look

Glad to see someone is keeping this up: xEvilReeperx did a truly great thing fulfilling my dream, but it's nice to see it get some organization...on the fly changing would be a really nice addition.  If you want you can delete the texture of mine just below the colored one it was superseded by the one after that.  It's interesting to see everyone's textures all in one place like that.  All my textures are public domain if anyone cares :wink: .

Anyone looking for a quick texture: the last one of mine was designed with better contrast for best readability (of my designs).

3 hours ago, evileye.x said:

I'm using slightly modified navball made by @5thHorseman ....?.... I guess... 

ugYO4NWm.png

It's very useful to clearly distinct east direction in any circumstance

Yup that's originally mine. Not to kill anybody due to OCD, but I can tell due to the tiny flaw. The lines next to the 60 in the upper right are not as long as the lines near the other 60s.

Never liked it, but never enough to fix it.

32 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yup that's originally mine. Not to kill anybody due to OCD, but I can tell due to the tiny flaw.

Better ?

wb2mpmt.png

And thanks for your work, this skin is my favorite!

Edited by evileye.x

Thanks for keeping this mod going, @TheRagingIrishman.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:54 PM, Stone Blue said:

And in case people didnt know, you can use these textures to replace the monitor navball in RPM...
Its been awhile since I made this one, so i dont remember exactly how to do it, tho... :P )

Looking at the RPM install tree, the texture for its navball is located at "GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Components/NavBall/NavBall000.dds".  Don't know if RPM can take another file format.  I've asked in the RPM topic about replacing its navball texture.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/23/2017 at 10:17 AM, PyjackMeat said:

the cfg file is missing

You have to start the game and go to the flight scene at least once for it to be generated.

On a similar note, I was able to change my Navball texture once via the config, but then it wouldn't change again to any of the other skins I wanted to try, they were all .png's from this thread.

The first change all I had to do was revert to launch but after that nothing would change it again, even restarting the game. I removed the folder entirely and it changed back to the stock Navball. Now I'm a little confused what I was doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually make requests for things,  But how hard would it be to add the ability of this mod to also allow changing the stock sunflare texture?  in the assets files the texture in question is called "Sun_Flare.tex"  and normally looks something like this:  

1LxppjZ.png

the reason i'm asking is for ages i've been updating the sunflare for better atmospheres v5 to work with modern versions of kerbal, which requires modifying and redistributing the game's asset files,  this requires a sketchy tool thats iffy at best, and the  problem is the asset file in question has ballooned in size from what it used to be in older versions of kerbal and its a pain to compress and re-release it each time, not to mention the dubious legality of uploading game files...  i don't know anything about coding or i'd attempt it myself, And yes before anyone tells me, i know scatterer allows adding a sunflare texture to kerbal, but some of us don't like that one. no offense. if anyone can help with this, it would be appreciated, thanks for your time. End goal would look something like this:

tObIsSd.png

P.S. have my personal navball texture: https://imgur.com/a/dT6ER

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I have a question about how the textures for the navball are created. I saw that @regex mentioned @eggrobin may have a utility for generating them procedurally. I'm interested in the process by which they are separated into gores and then distorted so their UVs wrap appropriately. They all seem to have been done based on specific templates.

Thanks for your time!

On 12/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, Teflon_Mike said:

I don't usually make requests for things,  But how hard would it be to add the ability of this mod to also allow changing the stock sunflare texture?  in the assets files the texture in question is called "Sun_Flare.tex"  and normally looks something like this:  

-image-

the reason i'm asking is for ages i've been updating the sunflare for better atmospheres v5 to work with modern versions of kerbal, which requires modifying and redistributing the game's asset files,  this requires a sketchy tool thats iffy at best, and the  problem is the asset file in question has ballooned in size from what it used to be in older versions of kerbal and its a pain to compress and re-release it each time, not to mention the dubious legality of uploading game files...  i don't know anything about coding or i'd attempt it myself, And yes before anyone tells me, i know scatterer allows adding a sunflare texture to kerbal, but some of us don't like that one. no offense. if anyone can help with this, it would be appreciated, thanks for your time. End goal would look something like this:

-image-

P.S. have my personal navball texture: https://imgur.com/a/dT6ER

Scatterer is the way to go if you're trying to change the sunflare... I don't know how myself, but I'm sure you can figure it out...

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.