[1.3] NavBallTextureChanger v1.6 (8/7/17)

• 5 months later...

Do you guys think this need to be recompiled to 1.8? I am using it and it seems to work, just wondering since there was a lot of changed in 1.8. If someone is able, could you recompile it to 1.8. But like I said, it seems to work. 

These are what I like to use, for anyone interested:

TUZyRRg.png

Emissive:

3wVvZGE.png

Edited by therealcrow999

58 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Do you guys think this need to be recompiled to 1.8? I am using it and it seems to work, just wondering since there was a lot of changed in 1.8. If someone is able, could you recompile it to 1.8. But like I said, it seems to work.

Unless it uses only well-behaved KSP-only methods, there could be problems that just haven't given strong signs.

I switched to using TextureReplacer to change the NavBall texture (don't know if it can do the emissive change).  TextureReplacer hasn't been upgraded to KSP 1.8, but I expect it to be.

9 hours ago, Jacke said:

Unless it uses only well-behaved KSP-only methods, there could be problems that just haven't given strong signs.

I switched to using TextureReplacer to change the NavBall texture (don't know if it can do the emissive change).  TextureReplacer hasn't been upgraded to KSP 1.8, but I expect it to be.

Yeah the thing is I would only use TR for only navball replacing, doesn't seem worth it. If I used it for other things like I use to, it would be. I use to use it for skybox and kerbal suits, but now I like the new suits and KSP added in a pretty good skybox. So that is why I don't use TR or DiRT anymore. One less mod in my mind.

So, yeah this seems to still work in 1.8.1.
However, i tried a recompile built against 1.8.1, and got some errors that I fixed. I guess Unity.dll was split up into several seperate .dlls
However, built against 1.8.1 means it *wont* work in 1.7.3 or older.

I think i have the new recompile working in 1.8.1. Since the original one still seems to work in 1.8.+, a recompile against 1.8.1 seems like it would moar only be for future-proofing the mod? vOv

I was thinking of linking to the recompile, here, with a .zip of all the different textures listed in the thread, all packaged up nicely in one easy download...
but I dont know if its really worth it? vOv

@TheRagingIrishman you still around? Wot do you think? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, it's been ages since i've been here. And i'm surprised the collection in the 2nd post contains a derivative skin, based on my old one (rynac). I didn't expect anyone to actually like it, since the reception back then was just lukewarm. Anyways, i'm on a new puter and no longer have my old files, so this remake comes in handy. Thanks Zotlynn!

On 9/8/2018 at 3:03 AM, therealcrow999 said:

Thanks for this mod. I was trying to get a Navball texture to work in Texture Replacer but it wasn't working in the IVA due to the Emissive texture. I'm glad I found this mod, because I can turn Emissive Texture color to 0. 

I will share my Navball skin I use. I found it years ago, I don't see the type here so here you go. But you do have to turn: EmissiveColor = 0,0,0,0 

I also found leaving EmissiveColor alone helps the IVA view in the darkness. This Navball can be hard to see in darkness. So it is up to you to choose whether Emissive Color is on or off.

ouuD4ve.png

Umm..... I DO have an idea where that's from *whistles innocently*. And yeah, i think the plugin didn't support emmisive yet back when i created this, hence why it only works if emmisive is set to black.

Anyways, thanks for giving me back my files. (new computer, so i lost the texture and source).

3 hours ago, lynak said:

Wow, it's been ages since i've been here.

Welcome back.. I imagine you're excited about KSP 2.0?

2 hours ago, lynak said:

(new computer, so i lost the texture and source).

Which is why we IT types keep banging on about backups! And backups of backups.... I have terabytes of local backups. And the most important of that stuff is also backed up online. (Please note that I receive absolutely NO remuneration for what follows.. I'm just a very happy customer sharing the joy.) For my online backups I like to use the service provided by Backblaze. A personal account is just US$6 per month, and provides genuinely unlimited storage with no extra data charges, password-based file encryption (optional), your files can be directly downloaded (by computer or from your iDevice or Android device) or Fed-Ex'ed to you anywhere in the world, on drives that you are free to keep or mail back for a full refund, and many other cool features. Best of all, there's nothing to set up.. it simply backs up ALL your user data, unless told otherwise. It's truly set-&-forget. It can handle external drives as well (they need to be plugged in now and then, of course!), and runs on Mac & Windows. I've tried a number of online backup solutions over the years, and Backblaze is simply the easiest and best I've encountered.

Edited by JAFO

37 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Welcome back.. I imagine you're excited about KSP 2.0?

Just mildly optimistic, actually. From my perspective, the big selling point of KSP is the mod-ecosystem. Just like elder scrolls, the base-game isn't that interesting - the vast number of mods (and easy part-customization) is what makes it interesting. KSP2 in that regard will start from scratch, so it'll be years before it has featureset similiar to KSP1. On the other hand, the two main issues with KSP1 (IMO) is buggy physics and bad graphics performance. The later has to do with the engine (unity), and KSP2 uses the same engine, so no improvement there. That to me only leaves better physics as a possible selling point for KSP2. And we haven't seen that yet, so it's a "maybe".

Which is why we IT types keep banging on about backups! And backups of backups.... I have terabytes of local backups. And the most important of that stuff is also backed up online. (Please note that I receive absolutely NO remuneration for what follows.. I'm just a very happy customer sharing the joy.) For my online backups I like to use the service provided by Backblaze. A personal account is just US$6 per month, and provides genuinely unlimited storage with no extra data charges, password-based file encryption (optional), your files can be directly downloaded (by computer or from your iDevice or Android device) or Fed-Ex'ed to you anywhere in the world, on drives that you are free to keep or mail back for a full refund, and many other cool features. Best of all, there's nothing to set up.. it simply backs up ALL your user data, unless told otherwise. It's truly set-&-forget. It can handle external drives as well (they need to be plugged in now and then, of course!), and runs on Mac & Windows. I've tried a number of online backup solutions over the years, and Backblaze is simply the easiest and best I've encountered.

Oh, i had plenty of backups :-) It's just backups don't help, when you ragequit a game, and then when you buy a computer, you just don't bother copying the backup and delete it :-P

Edited by lynak

On 12/1/2019 at 11:09 AM, lynak said:

On the other hand, the two main issues with KSP1 (IMO) is buggy physics and bad graphics performance. The later has to do with the engine (unity), and KSP2 uses the same engine, so no improvement there.

Well, except that KSP uses an old, outdated and buggy version of Unity, whereas the KSP2 team are using the latest and greatest version, which has had considerable improvements made to it, particularly when it comes to performance. Despite what many fanbois of other game-engines claim, Unity itself is not the problem.. the original game has always been crippled by huge amounts of clunky legacy code that was introduced long before the game evolved into what it ultimately became. Most of the blame should be laid there, and not at Unity's door. Not to mention that the dev team are all huge fans & players of the original game, and hence are very aware of KSP 1.x's limitations, which they're keen to fix. By starting from scratch, the new team will be able to avoid all the short-sighted poor decisions and bad design choices that hamstrung KSP.

In short, I confidently expect that KSP2 will be pleasantly surprising in how much better it performs.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:09 AM, lynak said:

Oh, i had plenty of backups :-) It's just backups don't help, when you ragequit a game, and then when you buy a computer, you just don't bother copying the backup and delete it :-P

Ahh.. yeah, there is always that.. :D

Edited by JAFO

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a recompile version for KSP 1.11.1?

Does anyone still use this? I am not sure DiRT can do the same thing and I don't want to use TR since I only need to replace the navball. I am not sure if this version of NavBallTextureChanger supports all the new navball UI scaling and rearrangement.

10 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

Does anyone have a recompile version for KSP 1.11.1?

Does anyone still use this? I am not sure DiRT can do the same thing and I don't want to use TR since I only need to replace the navball. I am not sure if this version of NavBallTextureChanger supports all the new navball UI scaling and rearrangement.

I just tried it in 1.11.1, and it still seems to be working purrfektly fine for me. ;)

Idk what you mean by "rearrangement", but scaling seems to work fine... I always rescale NB to 120%...
I just tried 150%, 100% and 78%.... works fine ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

51 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I just tried it in 1.11.1, and it still seems to be working purrfektly fine for me. ;)

Idk what you mean by "rearrangement", but scaling seems to work fine... I always rescale NB to 120%...
I just tried 150%, 100% and 78%.... works fine ;)

Good thanks. I meant the navball position can be moved left or right on screen. 

Are you using the default download or a recompile version? I asked because someone above did a recompile a while back.

57 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

I meant the navball position can be moved left or right on screen.

Ahh.. ok... Yes, that works fine too... I always move the NB as far to the left as I can, since I'm on a 1600x900 screen, and need all the screen realestate in the center, that I can get... ;)

EDIT: Just checed, and I've been using RagingIrishman's v1.6.0 lined in the OP, since they released it.
Do you have a link or post, to this newer recompile, I didnt come across it in this thread. vOv (tho i *was* simming, pretty fast, updating my collection of all the NB textures posted in this thread.)

Btw, I had asked @TheRagingIrishman awhile bac, about linking a .zip collection of all the textures in one dwnload, but no response.
Give me a bit, and I'll throw one up on my GoogleDrive, and link here in the thread.

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Ahh.. ok... Yes, that works fine too... I always move the NB as far to the left as I can, since I'm on a 1600x900 screen, and need all the screen realestate in the center, that I can get... ;)

EDIT: Just checed, and I've been using RagingIrishman's v1.6.0 lined in the OP, since they released it.
Do you have a link or post, to this newer recompile, I didnt come across it in this thread. vOv (tho i *was* simming, pretty fast, updating my collection of all the NB textures posted in this thread.)

Btw, I had asked @TheRagingIrishman awhile bac, about linking a .zip collection of all the textures in one dwnload, but no response.
Give me a bit, and I'll throw one up on my GoogleDrive, and link here in the thread.

I have the 1.6 backup on my HD from years ago. I also have a set of textures I like. I use these ones, used them for years. Yeah it would be a good idea to have the all in one location.

RkdF2Zr.png

kuZZm7s.png

I was going to use TR for the Navball, I like the addition of the new Kerbals face, but as it turned out the new suits and the way you can customize them does not work well in TR right now.

Yeah I do the same, I move Navball to the left. I am glad KSP added that feature, I always disliked it in the middle.

By the way, what Navball textures do you use?

@Stone BlueI might have been mistaken about recompile, I saw the post on this page from a while back saying you tried to recompile it. I guess I was wrong. If 1.6 works fine, I will use it. Does it kick up any log errors?

Edited by therealcrow999

@Stone BlueMaybe you should fork this thread and do what you wanted to do with this mod, all skins in one folder. I don't know. I really only use one texture.

One thing I want to see is all the textures in one place but also has emissive's made for them.

Here is the only other set I know that have emissives:

KNU8EYq.png

bxb9TEW.png

Edited by therealcrow999

34 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

I use these ones, used them for years. Yeah it would be a good idea to have the all in one location.

Yeah.. I have those in the collection ;)

By the way, what Navball textures do you use?

I use one of Lokaltog's that I modified way back... they are the ones posted in the 2nd post. I *should* get around to making sure the emmisive one WarriorSabe did for the original one works with mine, and if not, make one of my own.

@Stone BlueI might have been mistaken about recompile, I saw the post on this page from a while back saying you tried to recompile it. I guess I was wrong. If 1.6 works fine, I will use it. Does it kick up any log errors?

I dont remember, I may have tried to recompile, but I know just enuff code to be dangerous, and can barely recompile something :P
But, yeah, the origianl v1.6 wors fine for me...from every KSP version from when it was released, all the way thru to 1.11.1.
No errs, other than one texture is not the correct power of 2's resolution. But that can be disregarded, as KSP will account for that.

Also, no I wont make a new thread, and fork this mod. I would, if I could code...but like I said, I'm dangerous with code.. :P
Hopefully, theRagingIrishman will revisit, and mebbe add my lin for an All-In-One .zip download of the whole collection of textures, so far. vOv
I might also contact Shaw about mebbe linking it on the official TR thread OP... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

30 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Yeah.. I have those in the collection ;)

I use one of Lokaltog's that I modified way back... they are the ones posted in the 2nd post. I *should* get around to making sure the emmisive one WarriorSabe did for the original one works with mine, and if not, make one of my own.

I dont remember, I may have tried to recompile, but I know just enuff code to be dangerous, and can barely recompile something :P
But, yeah, the origianl v1.6 wors fine for me...from every KSP version from when it was released, all the way thru to 1.11.1.
No errs, other than one texture is not the correct power of 2's resolution. But that can be disregarded, as KSP will account for that.

Also, no I wont make a new thread, and fork this mod. I would, if I could code...but like I said, I'm dangerous with code.. :P
Hopefully, theRagingIrishman will revisit, and mebbe add my lin for an All-In-One .zip download of the whole collection of textures, so far. vOv
I might also contact Shaw about mebbe linking it on the official TR thread OP... vOv

Yeah I don't code either :sealed:. The best I could do was some personal Module Manager configs along time ago.

I have not played KSP since maybe 1.7 or 1.8, has been maybe 2 or 3 years. A lot of nice things have been added by Squad. I love the fact that I can change suits or customize them. I use to use TR for that, so once less mod now. I am happy that Squad gives out the expansions out to players who own the game since the early days. And after finding the Restock mod, I am in love.

One wish I would love to see Squad do is finally add clouds to Kerbin and maybe Laythe, and some Jool Layers. I am glad they are going back and revamping the textures of planets and moons. I feel once they have clouds layers on some, I could stop using EVE.

So here's a compilation of all the shared NB textures from this thread.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOcqJUkHMXjEzt0OCpOmmrtt7dyQkWSz/view?usp=sharing

Several were not sized in proper Power of 2 format for textures. I've made resized copies, to the nearest proper size, in the main folder, denoted with a suffix of the new size.
They work, as KSP handles resizing them, but it does create log spam about them, and Idk how much of a tiny performance hit the game taes, in doing so, but I've put those original textures into a seperate subfolder, just in case, and if anyone ever wants to rework them from the originals. Personally, I would delete that folder, after unzipping to the proper place in GameData.

I've also added the suffix of `_DIF` & `_EMM`, to those textures that have both a normal texture and a matching emmisive texture. There are several different diffuse textures that can use one of the emissives.

I've tried to correctly give credit on each texture, by prefixing, 1st, the original submitter, followed 2nd by whoever has submitted an edit.
Licensing for these textures is assumed, as stated in the OP, as:
"If there's no license included in your post, it will be assumed to be CC-BY (can be reused, as long as credited)"

Please LMK if there are issues, doubles, or if anyone finds moar NB textures to add, that arent already in there.

Tagging you @TheRagingIrishman if you ever come bac and wanna add the link to the OP.

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOcqJUkHMXjEzt0OCpOmmrtt7dyQkWSz/view?usp=sharing

Several were not sized in proper Power of 2 format for textures. I've made resized copies, to the nearest proper size, in the main folder, denoted with a suffix of the new size.
They work, as KSP handles resizing them, but it does create log spam about them, and Idk how much of a tiny performance hit the game taes, in doing so, but I've put those original textures into a seperate subfolder, just in case, and if anyone ever wants to rework them from the originals. Personally, I would delete that folder, after unzipping to the proper place in GameData.

I've also added the suffix of `_DIF` & `_EMM`, to those textures that have both a normal texture and a matching emmisive texture. There are several different diffuse textures that can use one of the emissives.

I've tried to correctly give credit on each texture, by prefixing, 1st, the original submitter, followed 2nd by whoever has submitted an edit.
Licensing for these textures is assumed, as stated in the OP, as:
"If there's no license included in your post, it will be assumed to be CC-BY (can be reused, as long as credited)"

Please LMK if there are issues, doubles, or if anyone finds moar NB textures to add, that arent already in there.

Tagging you @TheRagingIrishman if you ever come bac and wanna add the link to the OP.

5thHorseman_evileye.x_Lokaltog_WasabiThumbs-5DO9ZzZ_EMM.png Emissive file should work with:

5thHorseman-navball_blackgrey_DIF.png

5thHorseman-navball_brownblue_DIF.png

evileye.x-wb2mpmt_DIF.png

===============================================================

JAFO_WasabiThumbs-jafo_EMM.png Emissive file works with and maybe only with:

5thHorseman_JAFO-jBqBkL5.png

Could also work with:

5thHorseman_5HM_8CBG_tweak_60s.png

5thHorseman_v2-navball.png

FalconB-gyJjq7f.png

luizopiloto-MQAnL6a_EMM.png Emissive file works with:

luizopiloto-rMZ0lwx_DIF.png

Teflon_Mike-Y7JTNDP_EMM.png Emissive file works with:

Teflon_Mike-tXlnEnG_DIF.png

Treky0623_Autolyzed_Yeast_Extract-rLHbWVB_EMM.png Emissive file works with:

Trekky0623-pF3BC6V_DIF.png

Zasnold_JAFO-ZqltjqV_EMM.png Emissive file works with:

Zasnold-TVAzp5I_DIF.png

You might need a readme file in there so players know that those work together and have their respective emissives. Might need to do that with other files that have emissives with them. I think the others have their file names similar and their emissives are next to them. I think a readme file would not hurt.

But thanks for this, everything is one place. Good way to backup these somewhere so that they don't get lost. I will definitely keep them on my HD for storage.

Edited by therealcrow999

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Nice - thank you, that's a bunch of work. I didn't even see there was an emissive for the one I'm using, but I grabbed it from your zip.

I actually recompiled this for 1.10.1 on my machine, but it literally doesn't do anything differently, so I doubt anyone needs worry about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.