[1.3] NavBallTextureChanger v1.6 (8/7/17)

@therealcrow999 @Stone Blue glad to see that people are still interested in this. I stopped playing KSP three years ago, but opened up the forum today to check on something for a friend. I just verified that the version I compiled way back in 2017 still works, which is crazy btw, the entire Unity dll was reworked in 1.8, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I like y'all's suggestion of including textures in the base download. Stone, do you mind if I incorporate the work you did into a new release?

BTW Stone, the incorrect sizing thing you see in the logs about "not being able to compress the files" doesn't really matter, as it's only two small textures and a few of Squad's textures aren't compressible.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

@TheRagingIrishman no, i dont mind... go ahead... it would make it easier for everybody :P
I was thining about a readme, tho... with instructions on how to use them, along with how to change the URLs in the config.cfg/settings.cfg, a license for the textures, as well as adding the diffuse/emissive info that @therealcrow999 compiled a couple posts back.

I was gonna try to note in the filenames which emmisives could be used with each diffuse, but I was going brain fried, trying to compare them all... lol
Thanx for that, therealcrow999 ;)

20 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@TheRagingIrishman no, i dont mind... go ahead... it would make it easier for everybody :P
I was thining about a readme, tho... with instructions on how to use them, along with how to change the URLs in the config.cfg/settings.cfg, a license for the textures, as well as adding the diffuse/emissive info that @therealcrow999 compiled a couple posts back.

I was gonna try to note in the filenames which emmisives could be used with each diffuse, but I was going brain fried, trying to compare them all... lol

Yeah my brain wanted to organize them a bit for future references. I mostly wanted to do it for myself when I back them up on my HD. I can go a year or so without playing and when I come back I like to know what was going on. I tend leave notes for myself.

52 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@therealcrow999 @Stone Blue glad to see that people are still interested in this. I stopped playing KSP three years ago, but opened up the forum today to check on something for a friend. I just verified that the version I compiled way back in 2017 still works, which is crazy btw, the entire Unity dll was reworked in 1.8, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I like y'all's suggestion of including textures in the base download. Stone, do you mind if I incorporate the work you did into a new release?

BTW Stone, the incorrect sizing thing you see in the logs about "not being able to compress the files" doesn't really matter, as it's only two small textures and a few of Squad's textures aren't compressible.

Yeah I remember them reworking Unity back then. I am surprise too, by some grace this mod works fine.

So what are you going to do recompile the mod and check it for any errors and give an update?

It is a nice mod, for only wanting to change one thing in game Navball. I honestly do not use TR anymore and don't need to download all that for Navball. I use to use TR to add in custom suits and skybox, but Squad revamp the suits and added in customizable colors and they even updated their skybox to be higher resolution, which looks 100x better than the old one. Now with the Restock mod, reskins of all the parts looks amazing.

1 hour ago, therealcrow999 said:

So what are you going to do recompile the mod and check it for any errors and give an update?

Honestly don't see the point in recompiling it, it works as is with no errors. I was mainly planning on just incorporating all the textures in the download and making it a little less confusing for people to set up the files properly.

5 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Honestly don't see the point in recompiling it, it works as is with no errors. I was mainly planning on just incorporating all the textures in the download and making it a little less confusing for people to set up the files properly.

Awesome. Nice mod that still works. I think all you would have to do is change title in main forum to say 1.11.1.

Thanks for making an amazing mod.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Did ever get around to linking the zip file with all skins to your OP?

You should recompile it at least every time the .Net version changes.  Would provide a bit of comfort for people knowing the DLLs are compiled for the same version.

.Net version changed with the 1.8 release

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Since you aren't really around any more, I'd be happy to adopt this.  I'd also be adding a GUI to select a texture at run-time, and would include all of @Stone Blue's textures.  Would bring it up to the modern age.

Let me know

On 2/6/2021 at 6:05 PM, Stone Blue said:

Is the current download up-to-date, or do you have an updated one.  Would be helpful when I write a UI for this

I've gone through the entire thread.  There are a few images which the author of the image had a suggested config for it.  I've collected them, will merge with @Stone Blue's file as well as the information from @therealcrow999.

It's nice to see everyone contributing.  I'll do my best with the UI, shouldn't be difficult, but I do have to normalize the names.

56 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Since you aren't really around any more, I'd be happy to adopt this.  I'd also be adding a GUI to select a texture at run-time, and would include all of @Stone Blue's textures.  Would bring it up to the modern age.

Let me know

Is the current download up-to-date, or do you have an updated one.  Would be helpful when I write a UI for this

I've gone through the entire thread.  There are a few images which the author of the image had a suggested config for it.  I've collected them, will merge with @Stone Blue's file as well as the information from @therealcrow999.

It's nice to see everyone contributing.  I'll do my best with the UI, shouldn't be difficult, but I do have to normalize the names.

I think I did my best here to list from Stone Blue zip collection, the ones that have their Emissive's for the interior navball, during darkness.

6ezMqrw.jpg

I think Stone Blue collected them all in his zip.

@linuxgurugamerI agree the naming of the files need to be normalized. I don't think anyone got around to it. I think Stone Blue naming was to show where it came from.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Since you aren't really around any more, I'd be happy to adopt this.

Really like that idea, LGG.

I find replacing the stock navball texture with a more detailed one vital, even with the stock ability to magnify the whole navball.

Also the current download of the mod, is latest. Some players tried to recompile over the years but no luck. So the latest here and CKAN is the working one we all use.

I think with this mod revamp, we also might see some other users contribute to some nice navballs. So it might be a good day for this mod when @linuxgurugamer takes over. I am getting very excited.

Here is what I have come up with for a UI.  It is VERY preliminary, so any comments should be about functionality and other possible ways to do it.

Short descr:  click the button in the left scroll list to show an enlarged version of the texture in the right.  Click Apply (not yet functional) to apply it:

yon5Y9m.png

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is what I have come up with for a UI.  It is VERY preliminary, so any comments should be about functionality and other possible ways to do it.

Short descr:  click the button in the left scroll list to show an enlarged version of the texture in the right.  Click Apply (not yet functional) to apply it:

Looks like a good UI.  The vertical scroll must be for scrolling through the list of navball textures.  What's the horizontal scroll bar for?

8 hours ago, Jacke said:

Looks like a good UI.  The vertical scroll must be for scrolling through the list of navball textures.  What's the horizontal scroll bar for?

Will go away, this was a quick effort to come up with something workable.

There will be a "Test" button to be able to take the selected skin and temporarily apply it to the navball

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

yon5Y9m.png

This is pretty nice. Now how does this work with the interior night Emissive textures? Is that something we have to pick also?

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Aqui está o que eu criei para uma IU. É MUITO preliminar, portanto, quaisquer comentários devem ser sobre a funcionalidade e outras formas possíveis de fazê-lo.

Descr curta: clique no botão na lista de rolagem à esquerda para mostrar uma versão ampliada da textura à direita. Clique em Aplicar (ainda não funcional) para aplicá-lo:

yon5Y9m.png

:awe::awe::awe::awe:

2 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

Now how does this work with the interior night Emissive textures? Is that something we have to pick also?

Can emissive textures be used on their own, or do they require a normal texture also? And, does the emissive have to be paired with the regular? Or would you maybe pick one regular and a totally different emissive?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding emissives, they will be specified in an config file

From what I've seen, picking a particular non-emissive navball textures means only one matching emissive, correct?

46 minutes ago, Jacke said:

From what I've seen, picking a particular non-emissive navball textures means only one matching emissive, correct?

Quite a few of the textures *dont* have a matching emissive... so you wont get the "lit-up/glowy" effect in a dark IVA with all the textures...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.