[1.3] NavBallTextureChanger v1.6 (8/7/17)

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Quite a few of the textures *dont* have a matching emissive... so you wont get the "lit-up/glowy" effect in a dark IVA with all the textures...

They still get Emissive, it will be the stock ones, which won't match up to any of the these custom ones. It will make the navball look a little weird.

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Guess what else you can do with these textures? ;)

Reveal hidden contents

iyILfjy.png

I don't understand

9 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

They still get Emissive, it will be the stock ones, which won't match up to any of the these custom ones. It will make the navball look a little weird.

Actually, there won't be an emissive.  I don't know what will happen when it sets a null emissive, but hopefully it will just disable it

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

I'm confused, does this mod also replace the navball on RPM screens or something?

Not *this* mod.... But, you can easily use any of the textures to replace the RPM navball.

Simply, choose your texture, and  just replace the \JSI\RasterPropMonitor\Library\Components\NavBall000.dds with one of these textures. You'll have to delete/move/rename the existing texture, and rename your chosen texture to "NavBall000" ...

.png will work as well as .dds
Note, RPM doesnt use an emissive for the navball. It only uses one texture.
You *can* use one of the emissive textures, but you cant use *both* a diffuse and an emissive together.
Here's what one of the emissives looks like:rXvx9mP.png

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't understand

Actually, there won't be an emissive.  I don't know what will happen when it sets a null emissive, but hopefully it will just disable it

Yeah a disable emissive is better than one that does not match navball texture being placed on top.

So, it seems theres a better way to use these textures with RPM... I just talked with JonnyOThan (RPM Adopted dev), and it t urns out, i missed a config key yesterday, that *should* wor with an MM patch, for user selected navball textures...
*...Testing now...* I'll post bac soon with results/instructions... If it works, it would save @linuxgurugamer having to even consider poking code or anything for RPM support... it would be just a matter of packaging RPM MM patches with the mod...
:fingers_crossed:

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

So, it seems theres a better way to use these textures with RPM... I just talked with JonnyOThan (RPM Adopted dev), and it t urns out, i missed a config key yesterday, that *should* wor with an MM patch, for user selected navball textures...
*...Testing now...* I'll post bac soon with results/instructions... If it works, it would save @linuxgurugamer having to even consider poking code or anything for RPM support... it would be just a matter of packaging RPM MM patches with the mod...
:fingers_crossed:

I wan't even thinking about RPM support.  If you want to be able to select, just disable the RPM navball texture and use this

On 2/26/2021 at 7:14 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I tested by deleting the definition for the emissive texture in the settings.cfg, and it seems to have removed using any emissive, and seems to be woring with no issues... vOv

Speaking of the settings.cfg, theres also a config.cfg, and both seem to be identical files? vOv
I removed the config.cfg, and the mod seems to be working flawlessly vOv

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I wan't even thinking about RPM support.  If you want to be able to select, just disable the RPM navball texture and use this

Umm.. RPM doesnt use the stoc navball textures for the MFD navball... it has its own model & texture for it. So for *that*aspect, I dont know how you would incorporate being able to select/switch it with NBTC itself. I DID find out, that while there are two keys in the RPM MFD config, that can be used to define both the model & texture (which is what I've been targeting with MM patches), if the keys are commented out, it seems its also hard-coded in the dll, to then fallbac on the default RPM NB model & texture.

I have yet to test texture switching these textures on the ASET props. IIRC, ASET *might* have a replacement analog for the stoc navball? vOv
I'll loo into that, as well as its MFDs.

I would wait to publicly release any MM patches for RPM/ASET support, until you finish up a release for the mod, having finished renaming the textures, and deciding on their final folder URLs...

Then, it could be decided if they should be pacaged in *this* mod, or in RPM itself. I cant speak officially for him, but i have the feeling JonnyOThan might be willing to include them in RPM itself, so that should be an option if you dont want to deal with support issues, LGG... vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Ok, I've figured out my last problem (I think).

Please try this out:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NavBallTextureChanger/releases/tag/2.0.0.1

I still need to do a README, but this should work for any 1.8 and newer systems.

Note, it has dependencies:

New dependencies
        ClickThroughBlocker
        ToolbarController
        SpaceTuxLibrary (latest version, released a day or so ago)

Let me know of any issues

Edit - Beta 2

Added advanced section
    Added README

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please try this out:

I still need to do a README, but this should work for any 1.8 and newer systems.

New dependencies
        ClickThroughBlocker
        ToolbarController

Edit - Beta 2

Added advanced section
    Added README

Alright, going to give this a go.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please try this out:

New dependencies
        ClickThroughBlocker
        ToolbarController

Edit - Beta 2

Added advanced section
    Added README

Looks good so far. I will so some more testing but I have not notice any issues yet.

Can you guys do some Emissive testing, select the textures that only have emissives and see if they are working right? You need to be where it is very dark and the emissives should give the numbers and lines in IVA a green tint. For some reason my cockpits are kind of have light inside, it might because of Restock mod. Some of the Navballs seem to be working with the emissives.

Note:  There is one typo in one of the skin config files which ends up with the texture being shown as a red questionmark on a white background.  I have it fixed locally, but won't do a beta just for that.  If you want to fix it locally, edit the file:  5thHorseman-navball_blackgrey_DIF.cfg   and change line 19 to:

file = PluginData/Skins/evileye.x_DIF.png

In the next release, this file is also being renamed to more properly reflect what's in it (it contains a number of configs)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Note:  There is one typo in one of the skin config files which ends up with the texture being shown as a red questionmark on a white background.  I have it fixed locally, but won't do a beta just for that.  If you want to fix it locally, edit the file:  5thHorseman-navball_blackgrey_DIF.cfg   and change line 19 to:

file = PluginData/Skins/evileye.x_DIF.png

In the next release, this file is also being renamed to more properly reflect what's in it (it contains a number of configs)

Yeah I noticed that one texture.

I noticed something weird, I really did not have time to test it or replicate it, I will when I have more time. But when I was in IVA and change navball there, and hit C to take me back to outside view, the navball there still had the previous navball skin and not the new one I set. I can't really verify this bug 100% since I have not had much time to test anything, just something I noticed during my quick test. I am sure someone can do what I did and double check.

32 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

I noticed something weird, I really did not have time to test it or replicate it, I will when I have more time. But when I was in IVA and change navball there, and hit C to take me back to outside view, the navball there still had the previous navball skin and not the new one I set. I can't really verify this bug 100% since I have not had much time to test anything, just something I noticed during my quick test. I am sure someone can do what I did and double check.

Did you hit save, or only test?

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you think I should put in a dialog confirming closing without saving?

I don't think so, I got the idea from your current setup. It was me doing something very fast and not paying attention. I am going to fire up KSP now and do some testing. So far I am loving what you did with mod. It is very user friend for players who are not familiar with manually installing mods or doing manual things in file folder system.

@linuxgurugamerStep 1. Go In IVA on a flight. I switched to therealcrow999-1. Test and Saved.

Step 2. Went to outside view (C) Navball was not saved. Outside Navball was old one.

Step 3. Some addition things. Went back to IVA, hit Reset Stock Emissives are different.

ZspLrFb.jpg

I also looked at some other navballs in IVA, I can recall if they add emissives made or were just the navball, but the navball in IVa kind of looked foggy during night times. I will come back in a bit and tell you which ones looked foggy.

The messed up emissive in the picture will only go away after I shutdown game and restart KSP.

@linuxgurugamerI am not getting those messed up emissives or foggy ones. It seems if I use this mod in regular view mode, it works great. It seems to cause issues, especially with messed up emissives and foggy ones when I use the mod in the IVA scene on a ship.

I personally think a solution would be, to restrict us from using it in the IVA scene. This would be a simple walk-around for this issue. I think the best place anyways to use this mod anyways is in the outside view.

hddr3jK.jpg

- Tweak 60s

- V2

- Falcon B

I am wondering if those Emissive I listed that should work with Navballs, do not. When I made that quick list, I was going off of them visually, since some were similar.

I know there are only like 2 or 3 sets that have specific emissives made for them, and JAFOs is one of them. He made that Emissive for me on request since that one I used was 5th Horsemans variant, which is named JAFO. I think JAFO did the tweak to 5th Horsemans and put in the S W N E directions on horizon lines. Then later on did the Emissives.

JAFO set is the only one I use because of this, the emissives and points of the compass directions on it.

@linuxgurugamerYeah those ones I listed in here on yellow, should be removed from the navballs that have emissives:

6ezMqrw.jpg

Those are the ones with issues. Well this mod has proven a good way to finally test them out and see which ones have emissives, lol

I guess that is why I said, "Could" work.

@linuxgurugamerRemove 5thHorseman_5HM_8CBG_tweak_60s.png, 5thHorseman_v2-navball.png, FalconB-gyJjq7f,png from Only w/ emissives and we should be good to go. Since we found out they don't work with that emissive.

Well testing a lot of the regular ones, without emissives, the IVA navball looks foggy. I think this is a side effect of no emissive used. Might be something that can not be walked around, just a side effect, I don't know.

I am also using Restock, so I do not know how vanilla is.

2 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

Remove 5thHorseman_5HM_8CBG_tweak_60s.png, 5thHorseman_v2-navball.png, FalconB-gyJjq7f,png from Only w/ emissives and we should be good to go. Since we found out they don't work with that emissive.

So remove the linked emissive from those skins.

Sounds like I should add the ability to have different skins for IVA mode, and then only allow skins with emissives to be used

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.