[1.3.1] LonesomeRobots Aerospace: Altair Lander & AresV

silentvelcro

@Theysen Thank you for your kind words. Yes the 5th AresV engine is missing for the reason you state more or less. I could modify the core tank stage for the 5th engine.  It would be awesome if you worked on the mods for RO. If you need anything on that PM me.

@thekspbegginer Hi there. Download all the packages. Unzip them and merge the GameData folder from my packs with your GameData folder one by one.
Be careful the folder GameData/LonesomeRobots from the zips must be merged with, not replace, any existing GameData/LonesomeRobots folder.
It's pretty straightforward. PM me if you have any problems.

Edited by silentvelcro

7 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Theysen On the RO side, the core stage will need to be adjusted in length but it will become very stretched (IIRC a scale value of ~1.4) compared to it's diameter. Not sure if anything can be done apart from making a new model.

Yeah I ran into that issue too, the diameter is 9.4m even in stock but the length is too short.

Did you already configure them (again? :P)

@Theysen No, not all of them yet. :D I had the scaling problem, along with the fifth engine position and i put them on the back burner (holidays and stuff does not help on that front either).

@silentvelcro The Ares V core stage has the scaling "problem". Also, IIRC, the Ares I CLV has wrong RSRM retro motors (firing forwards instead of backwards) and it is missing the interstage RCS thrusters for roll control. I have not taken a look at the Altair yet (you have the best model of it BTW, cudos!).

If you want some info about the various Ares V versions, the Space Launch Report page is a fine source. Your version currently fits the second one in the list the best. You can use the real sizes and "kerbalize" them in order for the stock and RO to have the same overall relative size ratios. Raw example: a diameter of 10 meters will become 6.25 meters (approximately 0.64 times the original diameter).

@Drakenex The descent module of the Altair. The low dV budget of Orion (~1350 m/s for the Orion only, less if it carries some kind of cargo) does not allow for Apollo-style captures.

Semi-offtopic: For a "standard" Lunar Sortie mission (7 days on the surface of the Moon) the Altair would:

• Capture in an initial elliptical Lunar parking orbit
  • Circularize the orbit at approximately 100 km (the Altair ascent stage does not have enough dV to get into higher parking orbits)
  • Separate from Orion, perform a maneuver to lower the periapsis at ~15 km above the landing area and then land

The complete dV budget of the descent module can be broken down to:

• TLI corrections: 10 m/s (mostly RCS)
  • LOI: 950 - 1000 m/s
  • Descent: 2030 - 2050 m/s

For a total of 2990 - 3060 m/s. Ascent is another 1880 - 1900 m/s (assuming a return payload of 100 kg).

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Drakenex The descent module of the Altair. The low dV budget of Orion (~1350 m/s for the Orion only, less if it carries some kind of cargo) does not allow for Apollo-style captures.

Snipped

Great and complete answer! thank you very much.

Well, if that's the case, this Altair is a bit low on fuel, after the LIO burn there's not much left for a landing less a polar one. I'll try doubling it, anyway the Ares V and the EDS can handle the extra weight.

In other news, my attempt for a cargo version:

giKhpiR.jpg

42 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

@Drakenex Do the Windows of the LER-Rover work? I installed the American Pack a while ago ant the windows are blue and not transparent like in older KSP-Versions.

Now to do that you need it was JSI doing that then but that has been took out and made it's own mod, I know it don't look the same has it did but that's it hope it helps

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

I installed JSI Advanced Transparent Pods but it didn`t work with the LER. :/

If you can edit a cfg add 

MODULE   
{   
    name = JSIAdvTransparentPod   
}   

this to the pod and like I said it's not the same has it was 

EDIT- Or you can make a MM you can use 

@PART[LER_Pod]
{

MODULE   
{   
}

}  

@PART[AltairlanderPod]
{

MODULE   
{   
}

}

Edited by Mecripp2
Added Link

@silentvelcro I see your using a different TextureReplacer then the one being maintained TextureReplacerReplacer for those of use that use it alittle change is need like

@PART[AltairAscentEngine]:HAS[!MODULE[TRR_Reflection]]:NEEDS[TextureReplacerReplaced]
{
	%MODULE[TRR_Reflection]
	{
%name = TRR_Reflection
%shader = ShaderNG/TR_Reflective_Emissive_Alpha
%colour = 0.5 0.5 0.5
%interval = 1
%meshes = Manifold
        }
}

• 2 weeks later...

I have made two landings on the Mun so far.  Both happened to be on  a 5-degree slope.  In both cases the lander slid slowly downhill.   I ended both missions before it found a flat spot or went over a cliff.  I've never had that happen before on such a shallow slope.  Most other landers I've used, including the HOYO lander can land on a 10-degree slope without too much drama.  So i suspect that something is hinky here.  Thanks. 

I just ran a test in which I replaced the Altair landing legs with the heavy stock legs.  I landed on a 12.5-degree grade on the Mun and it stuck.  There was no sliding at all .  So I think this is a good indication that the problem has to do with the legs themselves.  Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue #1:  The Altair landing legs and the Altair sliding slowly downhill even on slopes less than 5 degrees.

It's been driving me nuts that I was having this problem and nobody seemed to.  I finally figured it out.  If you use the Altair clean out of the box, with no attachments whatsoever, the lander is absolutely stable upon landing and does not slide downhill. 

However, if you attach even a few extras, a couple of surface lights, and experiment or two, or a locker to carry some surface experiments, then the Lander slides downhill even where there is no measurable slope.  You can try this by attaching a few things to the Lander and take it to the launchpad.  If you watch the landing gear plates on the grid it's clear to see that the lander is gently sliding west toward the VAB.

Workaround:  Use the HOYO landing legs scaled up and the problem is solved.

Issue #2: Running out of power too quickly to complete research.

Research uses about one unit of electricity per second.  Since the Altair out of the box has about 800 units of power, that's just 800 seconds or 13 minutes and 20 seconds.  You can extend this by running the fuel cell but that will use up your monopropellant pretty quickly.  If you attach solar panels or monoprop tanks, you'll slide downhill.

Workaround:  Use the HOYO landing legs scaled up and the problem is solved.  And then you can attach solar panels or add one of the nuclear power unit and you'll be in business.  And with the HOYO legs, you won't slide down hill.

Anyway, hope that helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.