[1.3.0] Back In Black v1.2 (17/10/17) - Black plane textures for Stock/Ven/Mk2X/SXT/Quiztech/OPT/AirplanePlus/ALG

Rodger

So, I've always wanted a black version of mk1 and mk2 parts to build planes with, because SR-71. And after seeing @stali79's "night" texture work in OPT Legacy, and @Avera9eJoe's Spaceplane Corrections, I've been inspired to make it a reality. So I present my first mod: Back In Black!

hkOJc6w.png

RXVwPVH.png

Adds switchable black textures to stock mk1 and mk2 plane parts (command, fuel, structural, and utility), regular, airliner, and shuttle wings, all areo parts excluding heatshields, fairings and the size2 nosecone, the "Wheesley", "Whiplash", "Panther", "Juno" and "Goliath" engines, landing gear, and the retractable ladders.

All parts with texture switching can be found by searching for "stealth" in the part search bar.

Download from SpaceDock

For mod support, download the Back In Black Mods texture pack

Requires Module Manager and IFS (Included)

Changelog:

- Added fairing bases, with an optional patch for fairing panels (which can't be switched in-game)
- Added shrouded solar panels, Communotron DTS-M1 shrouded antenna, fixed radiators, 2.5m nosecone, and LV-N engine
- Blackened some of the M2X nuke parts - pluto/rontgen/reactor
- Updated IFS

Spoiler

v1.1
- Added 1.25-2.5 adapter tank/slant tanks

v1.0
- Added stock Mk3 parts, all the stock parts I'm planning on doing, so v1.0 I guess!
- Updated Mk2 Expansion compatibility to work with v1.8

v0.4
- Added compatibility for Orbit Portal Technology
- Merged M2X texture switches into one switch per part (except nosecones, for if you want grey heat tiles)
- Added stock RCS, radial chutes, claw, inline docking port, and shielded docking port
- Updated Ven's Stock Revamp compat (added ladder bays, RCS, radial chutes, inline docking port, and shielded docking port)
- Added some flags designed for black backgrounds
- Split mod textures into separate download
- Updated included IFS, special thanks to FreeThinker for adding multiple texture switching!
- Added optional patch to increase heat radiation of black parts
- Changed license to be able to release edited OPT textures

v0.3
- Added compatibility for Quiz Tech Aero Continued
- Added texture switching to the Mk2 Expansion parts, instead of just replacing the textures
- Depreciated the duplicated M2X parts in favor of the texture switching patch
- Changed from FS to IFS, in preparation for an upcoming feature
- Updated the black-default optional patch, now 1/123rd the size
- Bundled MM and IFS

v0.2.1
- Fix Elevons

v0.2
- Consolidated patch files (delete old BackInBlack folder before installation)
- Added black option to SABRE and Vernor engines
- Fixed Panther engine switching
- Added compatibility for SuicidalInsanity's Mk2 Expansion. Option of new parts with the black textures, or just replacing the white textures with black with no switching.
- Added compatibility for Ven's Stock Revamp
- Added optional patch to set the default texture for stock/Ven's parts to the black one.
- Set firespitter module ID to 88 to avoid conflicts with other stock texture switching mods

v0.1
- Initial release

BIB Mods Changelog:

v0.6

- Added Lack's SXT, everything besides most of the rocketry/orbital parts
- Updated Ven's Stock Revamp compat (fixed radiators, shrouded solar panels, fairings, 2.5m nosecone)
- Fixed medium ALG gear

Spoiler

v.0.5.1
- Fix license filename for CKAN
v0.5
- Added OPT Legacy engines (not legacy hulls)
- Added Kerbal Foundries Adjustable Landing Gear, originally by @BahamutoD
- Added Airplane Plus, by @blackheart612, with permission

License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

To Do/Future plans:
Mk3 Expansion, AirlineCusine, KAX

Edited by Rodger

Congratulations on your first mod release!

Speaking of black, these mod reminds me a lot of HRP (heat resistant parts) mod, which basically did what your mod did, with an added bonus of making everything ridiculously heat resistant, but sadly it's discontinued after KSP 1.0.5 :( (It's still functional though in current KSP 1.3, but some parts cannot be used due to compatibility issues). Needless to say, your mod opens up new possibility now for creating cool-looking planes, (I always want to build a stealth bomber)

OLKwMb9.png

Your mod brings me back those memories. Ah, those were the days where I'm making my first SSTO (shown above), The Starlight Dream. If you or someone you know might want to revive this mod or even integrate to your mod, that would be great. In case you are interested:

https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/230254-heat-resistant-parts-hrp

Good job mate, keep up the good work! :D

@Rodger: I actually did something like this a little while ago, see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp-today/&page=1353#comment-3062930 Didn't get farther than throwing the source up on Github though. I'm not sure if it had any parts you don't - docking ports, possibly? - but if you want, I can give you the link if you want to loot it for anything that might be useful.

Regarding Mk2 Expansion/M3 Expansion stuff, the only textures that aren't stock are either windowglass which shouldn't need modifying or emissives, which shouldn't be modified anyway.

@selfish_meme @DoctorDavinci - Just tested, and BIB is compatible with DCK already :)

o6NQglg.png

I had set my FStextureswitch2 module ID to 1, so it shouldn't interfere with mods which use ID 0. Might be able to make a patch to edit different mod's ID usage for if people want to use more than one other texture mod.

@SuicidalInsanity That black and red blackbird was awesome, and I found the git too thanks :)

@ARS Ah yeah I do remember that mod, not sure I ever got to try it. It added new parts instead of just texture switching right? I guess so as to not edit the max temp of the stock parts. And your SSTO reminds me that I need to add RCS to the To Do list lol

17 hours ago, Rodger said:

So, I've always wanted a black version of mk1 and mk2 parts to build planes with, because SR-71. And after seeing @stali79's "night" texture work in OPT Legacy, and @Avera9eJoe's Spaceplane Corrections, I've been inspired to make it a reality. So I present my first mod: Back In Black!

hkOJc6w.png

RXVwPVH.png

Adds switchable black textures to stock mk1 and mk2 plane parts (command, fuel, structural, and utility), regular, airliner, and shuttle wings, all areo parts excluding heatshields, fairings and the size2 nosecone, the "Wheesley", "Whiplash", "Juno" and "Goliath" engines, landing gear, and the retractable ladders.

All parts with texture switching can be found by searching for "stealth" in the part search bar.

Download from SpaceDock

Requires Module Manager and the Firespitter plugin      (not included)

License: MIT

Known issues:
Texture switching isn't working for the J-404 "Panther" Afterburning Turbofan. (any help would be appreciated here, the cfg is still included)

To Do/Future plans:
RAPIER engine, RCS, chute cases, inline/shielded docking ports
Check compatibility (Spaceplane Corrections, Ven's Stock Revamp)
Integration with Mk2 Expansion (Question for @SuicidalInsanity: Are there any textures which aren't stock?)
Mk3 parts, and then maybe Mk3 Expansion too
Possibly making stealth versions of other mod parts?!!? Depending on permissions. (QuizTech, OPT?)

Glad I was able to instil some inspiration!

@Rodger - Congrats on the release

At the moment I wouldn't expect there to be any conflicts between BIB and DCK with my current release .... In light of this however, I would hesitate to say that they are compatible as in some of my patches that are yet to be released I make use of different module ID's which will become a conflict with BIB when I start releasing DCK Camo Pack addons (of which there are a few)

Also, I have black in one of my soon to be released texture packs for DCK

Awesome blackbird by the way

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Your mod is essentially a black version of this mod, you should combine forces

Back in Black is a single texture for stock parts ... DCK adds 5 skins and currently covers Stock, BDAc and BDMk22 with SM_AFVs and the rest of SM Armory being worked on (more on the way) as well as DCK keeping any and all of the textures already in the SMA family of mods as well as textures from other mods in my 'to do' list as a selectable skin

I also have DCK set up for camo texture pack addons of which black is included in one of the packs that I have already completed

So no, BIB is not 'essentially' DCK ... DCK goes much, much further

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Rodger - Congrats on the release

At the moment I wouldn't expect there to be any conflicts between BIB and DCK with my current release .... In light of this however, I would hesitate to say that they are compatible as in some of my patches that are yet to be released I make use of different module ID's which will become a conflict with BIB when I start releasing DCK Camo Pack addons (of which there are a few)

Also, I have black in one of my soon to be released texture packs for DCK

Awesome blackbird by the way

Back in Black is a single texture for stock parts ... DCK adds 5 skins and currently covers Stock, BDAc and BDMk22 with SM_AFVs and the rest of SM Armory being worked on (more on the way) as well as DCK keeping any and all of the textures already in the SMA family of mods as well as textures from other mods in my 'to do' list as a selectable skin

I also have DCK set up for camo texture pack addons of which black is included in one of the packs that I have already completed

So no, BIB is not 'essentially' DCK ... DCK goes much, much further

No offense I just meant to say they both do something similar in the background, wherein yours might be more fully featured.

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

No offense I just meant to say they both do something similar in the background, wherein yours might be more fully featured.

No offense taken ... just clarifying the difference between the two

Edited by DoctorDavinci

5 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I think I'll actually just set my ID to higher number to future-proof it a bit then. I'll just go with 88.

Also, have you tried to switch the texture of the Panther engine? I can't seem to get it to work for me, wondering if that model uses a different texture sheet. I've tried all the obvious object names and none worked.

7 hours ago, Rodger said:

I think I'll actually just set my ID to higher number to future-proof it a bit then. I'll just go with 88.

Also, have you tried to switch the texture of the Panther engine? I can't seem to get it to work for me, wondering if that model uses a different texture sheet. I've tried all the obvious object names and none worked.

Download @sarbian's Debug Stuff

It works as is in KSP v1.3 ... it will show you the mesh names for any part (although parts with lots of mesh names may end up having the report truncated)

Version 0.2 released, including compatibility for @SuicidalInsanity's M2X! :cool: Also includes compatibility for Ven's Stock Revamp.

1bm1qVp.png
6m5nrfO.png

There are also now some optional patches:
One to change the default texture setting for the stock parts to be the black texture, to save you switching every part if you mainly want to use the black option.
And one to just replace the texture of the M2X parts, instead of making copies of the parts with the black texture. Useful for if you never want the white parts, and want to reduce part clutter in the editors. (Texture switching didn't work on the M2X parts)

Please delete the old BackInBlack folder before installing 0.2, as patch structure has changed somewhat.

Edited by Rodger

Just started using this mod and made a sick replica of an SR-71 blackbird. Just what I needed to help fill in that niche when it comes to proper coloration. I did notice a small glitch where almost all elevons weren't turning color but otherwise everything has been A-okay.

I know requests are usually really annoying but is it possible to include compatibility with Airplane Plus and Quiztech aerospace in the future?

Hmm elevons are working for me, last I checked. I'll have a look. Are you using the black-default patch?

And yeah I've had quiztech on my list to check out, but will have a look at airplane plus too :)

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Hmm elevons are working for me, last I checked. I'll have a look. Are you using the black-default patch?

Nope mate, I'm using the texture switcher version. It's probably just an issue on my end because of mod bloat. 

Edited by Krulliam

28 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

Nope mate, I'm using the texture switcher version. It's probably just an issue on my end because of mod bloat. 

Found the problem, and fixed. Looks like Search and Replace got the better of me in some file paths for elevon textures haha

21 hours ago, Rodger said:

Found the problem, and fixed. Looks like Search and Replace got the better of me in some file paths for elevon textures haha

Хвала лепо! :D

Thanks mate. Now I can go back to making unrealistic    a n d  a e s t h e t i c    fighter aircraft.

Z9nuKGA.jpg

6K9wquN.png

muqXuyx.png

VFA-46K "Alkavolga" Air Superiority Fighter

7pw85LG.png

gCYrASu.png

VUnAS-4L "Drekoviac" THEL equipped drone

Looks like I'm going to be adding texture switching to the M2X parts, which means the parts won't need to be duplicated to have a black version as well as a white version. However, that means if anyone's used the duplicated 'black edition' M2X parts, the next update is going to depreciate those parts. I'll try keep the parts valid for the next release, bit it will be best to switch to using the 'black retexture' M2X patch if you aren't already ASAP, and they will become switchable when that release is ready.

And cool planes Krulliam! :)

V0.3 is live! Including support for QuizTech!

JK2WgvM.png

And now M2X parts have texture switching! Currently some parts just have multiple texture switch modules, but hopefully soon they will be grouped together into one control per part (pending an IFS update). For now, enjoy some funny black and white mixed parts if you so wish lol

Version 0.4 is released, bringing support for @K.Yeon's OPT!

qw55JFd.png
k3jPdQE.png
Also updated some stock parts, and some Ven's parts:

Spoiler

Stock:

nPeaOj9.png

Ven's:

C0yqug3.png

Note: to get black OPT/QuizTech/Ven's parts, you now need to download the mods texture pack, split off from the stock texture parts to save on download size.

Special thanks to @FreeThinker for adding multiple texture support to IFS, allowing multiple textures to be switched with one control!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.