NASA VS SPACEX

Mudkip909

You can't vote twice? Muahahahaha. This is a challenge.

And I've voted twice. Ha. TOR FTW

As nice as SpaceX is, I have a special place for NASA

Edited by qzgy

SpaceX is doing things, NASA, while doing probes, is just not doing much innovation this day (in rockets, not probes, I like rockets, probes are good, but I like rockets more)

EDIT: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO VOTED FOR SPACEX??

Edited by StupidAndy

5 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

SpaceX is doing things, NASA, while doing probes, is just not doing much innovation this day (in rockets, not probes, I like rockets, probes are good, but I like rockets more)

NASA is doing quite a bit. 

Innovation, when it comes to rockets is something that hasn't happened since the 90s. Landings on Earth were being done twenty years ago. Although it didn't get to space, DC-X did quite a lot of things.

NASA, compared to SpaceX, has done much more. They've flown hundreds of missions, two space stations, moon landings, and have had two Jupiter Orbiters, a Saturn orbiter, quite a few Mars landers and rovers, and much more. SpaceX launches rockets? How nice. Welcome to the sixty year old club.

All SpaceX is doing is stirring the pot for launch providers. Which is a good thing. It's prompted ULA to start thinking about lowering costs, and BO will get in the game in the relatively near future, too. NASA is not a launch provider, though. You can not compare the two. Even back in the sixties NASA didn't build their rockets. 

18 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

All SpaceX is doing is stirring the pot for launch providers. Which is a good thing. It's prompted ULA to start thinking about lowering costs, and BO will get in the game in the relatively near future, too. NASA is not a launch provider, though. You can not compare the two. Even back in the sixties NASA didn't build their rockets. 

A good summary.

Nevertheless SectX has an increasing number of followers every day, the guru Musk being an excellent entrepreneur (while benefiting from very good advisers and engineers).

9 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I didn't vote, as I think this poll is absurd.

SpaceX exists---because NASA.

SpaceX is innovating with rockets---because NASA.

SpaceX will maybe make a cool, new rocket---because NASA (OK, maybe the USAF, too).

Do you see a pattern?

You're comparing an LSP with a space agency. One makes rockets, the other one makes missions to use the rockets.

NASA can launch its missions without SpaceX. SpaceX could launch its rockets without NASA if you forget the billions they get in subventions.

Edited by Gaarst

On 7/8/2017 at 11:10 PM, StupidAndy said:

nope, i saw two votes of spacex

in other theme:

GO NASA GO!

nasa is working on the CST-100 and orion and SLS (my favourite things of space)

2 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

nasa is working on the CST-100 and orion and SLS (my favourite things of space)

Boeing is working on the CST-100, SLS and Orion is NASA, Dragon is (from the greatest of every single thing in the entire world) SpaceX

NASA is also working on Dragon, and Crew Dragon. Neither would exist without NASA in the same way CST-100 would not exist without NASA.

If you want a counterfactual to play with, try spacex with no NASA. Hint: there is no spacex now.

Dumb poll is dumb.

3 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

Boeing is working on the CST-100, SLS and Orion is NASA, Dragon is (from the greatest of every single thing in the entire world) SpaceX

thanks to the NASA hints, elon musk knows all that he know about launching rockets, also boeing is working on CST-100 for NASA, lockheed martin is working on Orion for NASA, Rockedyne is working on SLS for NASA, and spacex is working on Dragon for NASA

Edited by Spaceman17

1 hour ago, Spaceman17 said:

thanks to the NASA hints, elon musk knows all that he know about launching rockets, also boeing is working on CST-100 for NASA, lockheed martin is working on Orion for NASA, Rockedyne is working on SLS for NASA, and spacex is working on Dragon for NASA

from what I read in this book(really good, you should read it sometime, tells a lot of info), he gets most of the info from books (that are from NASA sometimes) and his engineers

and yes,  Boeing is working on the CST-100 (they need a better name for that, something more memorable), Lockheed is one of the many contractors who are working on the Orion, and the SLS is also being worked on by many contractors, which Rocketdyne is one of, but SpaceX makes the dragon, it was originally made for NASA, but they are going to be using it for other uses, like that Trans-lunar flight in 1-2 years

Edited by StupidAndy

13 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

from what I read in this book(really good, you should read it sometime, tells a lot of info), he gets most of the info from books (that are from NASA sometimes) and his engineers

and yes,  Boeing is working on the CST-100 (they need a better name for that, something more memorable), Lockheed is one of the many contractors who are working on the Orion, and the SLS is also being worked on by many contractors, which Rocketdyne is one of, but SpaceX makes the dragon, it was originally made for NASA, but they are going to be using it for other uses, like that Trans-lunar flight in 1-2 years

He gets his MONEY from NASA to build this stuff. He gets specs for capsules from his only customer for them---NASA. I like SpaceX, heck, I like Musk, but the notion that he somehow competes with NASA is absurd, SpaceX is the product of NASA. That they leveraged their NASA contract to have reusability tested nearly for free is awesome, but it's not like he invented that from whole cloth, either. What about things like ITSy flying sort of horizontally, then landing on their tail...

(22 years ago)

Edited by tater

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I don't get the question.

It's like "HBO vs Game of Thrones"

Huh?

^^Exactly^^

SpaceX is like NASA's young son, they know what to do but they cant live without their parents.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that working together is key but I have to go with spacex since they have been doing a lot more than NASA has. I still don't see a clear plan from NASA to get us to mars.

So I also agree with the people above, both agencies have different fields and you really can't compare apples and oranges.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.