Piston Engine Prototype 2L6

Not the first piston engine with valves, it might be the first with a camshaft driven by gears.

Power is provided by 6 Juno’s per cylinder. With fuel cheat enabled it will run for 4.5 hours or more, at 50% throttle. Current engine speed limit: 7.5 rad/s. At 100% throttle it will overheat the valves.

This engine use the magical properties of sphere colliders (RCS balls), making most older bearing types obsolete. They’re also great for gears, liners, followers etc. The crankshaft & camshaft are built out of LY-10’s, the cams are radial RCS tanks. Piston rods are small radial decouplers. The pistons are small xenon tanks. The FPS is pretty good because I tried to avoid mesh colliders.

I could try and tune this engine for many hours or just start over from scratch with different specs.

Download link.

That's amazing! I wish I could learn how to make and use stock bearings and mechanisms.

Stupid Question: Could this be used to drive a custom stock wheel and car? Then you've truly won KSP. But I guess with so many separate crafts it would be very unstable...

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

That's amazing! I wish I could learn how to make and use stock bearings and mechanisms.

Stupid Question: Could this be used to drive a custom stock wheel and car? Then you've truly won KSP. But I guess with so many separate crafts it would be very unstable...

It is stable but the TWR is horrible in any case. I could try it with a reduction gear of 30:1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.