Am i the only one?

Avery616

Am i the only one to roleplay with my missions? You know,think out little stories and pretend radio chatter and what not. Think up what the kerbalnauts are talking about. Sits on the pad and imagine the kerbals running through a checklist before take off ect. I cant be the only one who does this. I would feel wired if i am the only one.

This is the ONLY game where I don't feel like a big loser role playing.  The game is so fun it knocks about 30 years off my age...lol

I actually lost 3 Kerbals in a space station where I had inadvertently left the periapse just barely below 70K and when I returned from a long mission to Duna they had all burned-in.  I was actually liquided off and sad. 

Edited by netbumbler
lulz...'liquided'

1 hour ago, Avery616 said:

Am i the only one to roleplay with my missions? You know,think out little stories and pretend radio chatter and what not. Think up what the kerbalnauts are talking about. Sits on the pad and imagine the kerbals running through a checklist before take off ect

Not even close to the only one. :)    Welcome to the club!

I don't exactly go as far as all that (Although I probably would have when I was younger, I'm 31 now) but I definitely roleplay in a gameplay sense.

I do crew rotation missions from stations, shake down runs, and even emergency drills. I absolutely won't let a Kerbal die or get stranded and I take ALL Kerbal rescue missions that are offered. I guess you could call that a sort of RP? Lol.I also disabled ground stations in my current career game and I'm building my own by flying them out there in giant cargo planes, why? Because it's fun!

Also, not sure if this counts but I always make Jeb my rocket pilot and Val my plane pilot. I tend to assign new pilots in this way as well when I get them or based off what they end up doing.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I don't exactly go as far as all that (Although I probably would have when I was younger, I'm 31 now) but I definitely roleplay in a gameplay sense.

I do crew rotation missions from stations, shake down runs, and even emergency drills. I also disabled ground stations in my current career game and I'm building my own by flying them out there in giant cargo planes, why? Because it's fun! (I also absolutely won't let a Kerbal die or get stranded and I take ALL Kerbal rescue missions that are offered. I guess you could call that a sort of RP. Lol.)

Also, not sure if this counts but I always make Jeb my rocket pilot and Val my plane pilot. I tend to assign new pilots in this way as well when I get them or based off what they end up doing.

Try using the crew or and or mod to add some more realism. It puts kerbals on vacation when they come back from a mission.

13 hours ago, Avery616 said:

Am i the only one to roleplay with my missions? You know,think out little stories and pretend radio chatter and what not. Think up what the kerbalnauts are talking about. Sits on the pad and imagine the kerbals running through a checklist before take off ect. I cant be the only one who does this. I would feel wired if i am the only one.

Oh, no, you are not the only one... In fact, I'm fairly sure some of the best fan-fiction stories on the forum started just like this!  :wink:

14 hours ago, Avery616 said:

No, not by far...

53 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, no, you are not the only one... In fact, I'm fairly sure some of the best fan-fiction stories on the forum started just like this!  :wink:

Yes, this is true... in fact, I am working on another chapter now! However, it is going to take a while to get all the screenshots I need for this next chapter. Ugh...

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Far from the only one.

I always have a little story running regarding what missions to fly and who'll fly them.

And I never leave anyone behind :)

And I'm the same way... and if a Kerman dies, I revert and try not to kill them again.

Oh, and in fact, I even have had to create custom Kerbal skins to create the character I need for the story line...

Meet Dr. Edmund Kerman:

Jbcx5bb.png

MtcFyYt.png

Edited by adsii1970

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Try using the crew or and or mod to add some more realism. It puts kerbals on vacation when they come back from a mission.

Any suggestions or links?  I can't say I remember seeing one of these before.  I love having the final frontier mod, and forced rest periods would just increase that game play experience. 

This kind of reminds me of a thread a long while back, I think the game was still in the aught 20's (0.2x), but a few guys either used a Multi player mod, or cloned the screens.  One guy was on the mission, and had to control the craft, while the other guys were in another room and acted as mission control.  The pilot was basically new to the game and they had to talk him through everything, including a Mun landing and return.  I think they even induced a time lag in the voice chat app they were using for comms. 

22 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Any suggestions or links?  I can't say I remember seeing one of these before.  I love having the final frontier mod, and forced rest periods would just increase that game play experience. 

This kind of reminds me of a thread a long while back, I think the game was still in the aught 20's (0.2x), but a few guys either used a Multi player mod, or cloned the screens.  One guy was on the mission, and had to control the craft, while the other guys were in another room and acted as mission control.  The pilot was basically new to the game and they had to talk him through everything, including a Mun landing and return.  I think they even induced a time lag in the voice chat app they were using for comms. 

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/159299-12-crewqueue-crew-rotation-and-vacations/

22 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Now that you guys mention it, I think I have seen this before.  Thanks guys.   And why am I not surprised that it's (yet another) LGG mod.  A cool shout out to all the modders out there who not only provide the additional content that make this game even more awesome, but also to those who keep alive the mods that have found a home in some of our wretched hearts. 

On 8/8/2017 at 6:57 PM, Avery616 said:

No.  I would never role-play while launching ROCKET SHIPS INTO SPAAAACE squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *ahem*.  Where was I?

No, totally wouldn't do that.  Just like I totally wouldn't find myself unconsciously making whoosh noises whenever I launch.  That would be silly, I would never do that.

Ahem.  :blush:

I do add a little bit of what I call "Kerbalverse" background to it.   I use distinct rocket designs for each of the major rocket component companies, as if they were marketed like real-life competitors.  My small-scale 'Javelin' rockets are only made utilizing Jeb's Junkyard parts, my medium-scale 'Thunder' and 'Lightning' rockets are made with Rockomax parts (with a few parts bought from Jeb's Junkyard for upper stages), and my heavy-scale rockets are made with Kerbodyne parts (again, with a few components bought from the previous two companies for specific upper stages).  I also have similar manufacturer emphasis on types of station modules or even interplanetary ships.  My EV-3 'Clipper' was a so-called "joint collaboration" between Jeb's Junkyard and Rockomax to produce an interplanetary ship without one component from Kerbodyne used in either the ship, nor on any of the rockets used to assemble it in orbit.

I also have a specific career pipeline for Pilots, Engineers, and Scientists.  For example, after a recruit pilot is hired:
1) Trainee: His/her first mission is being sent on an atmospheric survey mission, followed by an orientation spaceflight on an LKO service mission (usually involves crew swaps to my ISS-style station).
2) Kerbalnaut: He/She now follows one of two paths, rostered for an upcoming science/service mission to either the Mun or Minmus, which usually involves a few months stay at a space station.  
3) Advanced Kerbalnaut: After completion of either a Mun or Minmus mission, the pilot is now permanently paired with an Engineer (as a flight crew) and assigned to either the "SpacePlane Division" or "Near-Kerbin Asteroid Operations".  The "SpacePlane Division" equates to more flight time and missions, but is limited to atmo/LKO flights around Kerbin.  "NKA Ops" usually involves "managing remote operations from mission control" involving asteroid miners and redirect probes, but occasionally gets tagged with a deep-space rendezvous.
4) Deep Space Expedition: Whenever a deep space exploration mission beyond the Kerbin SOI comes up (excluding near-Kerbin asteroids), the flight crew is chosen from the existing pool of Advanced Kerbalnauts, and given an expedition crew with however many Scientists are required for the mission, provided the scientists have also been qualified as Advanced Kerbalnauts and available for rostering.

The Engineers and Scientists have similar and parallel career pipelines leading up to Deep Space Expeditions, and most get a chance to go on both a Mun and Minmus mission before going on a deep space mission.  This is how I ensured that all my Kerbals received as much experience and leveling up as possible before leaving for other planetary SOI's.

Swigert: "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here."
[Krrrr]
Lousma: "This is Houston. Say again, please."
[Krrrr]
Lovell: "Uh, Houston, we've had a problem."
[Krrrr]
Lovell: "We've had a MAIN B BUS UNDERVOLT."
[Krrrr]
Lousma: "Roger, MAIN B UNDERVOLT."
[Krrrr]
Lousma: "Okay, stand by, Thirteen, we're looking at it."

(Some might say that  making 'Krrrr' sounds between communications between the Command Center and the space craft is purely optional - but I think they are just being lazy.)

Wait... Just wait a derned tootin second. There are people who play this game and DONT role play?!?!?! 

But in seriousness, I role play in my saves because why not?

@Rocket In My Pocket And what does age have to do with anything? I will be 36 come october and I get no end of joy and happiness in shedding the "expectations of adulthood" by pretending to be that kerbal on a  mission or heck even picking up a Calvin and Hobbes or my Legos. Too often we let the joy and fun die because we think its immature to dream the dreams of childhood. Too often we deny the invigoration a round of playing with the toys of our past. I say: break out full on role playing, no matter if its in KSP or a toy of your youth!

original post time 20:55:30

22 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Calvin and Hobbes or my Legos

You, sir, pretty much summed up my pre-pubescent period of my youth. :D (All the Calvin and Hobbes books are literally sitting on my bookshelf three feet away as I type this)

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

And what does age have to do with anything? I will be 36 come october and I get no end of joy and happiness in shedding the "expectations of adulthood" by pretending to be that kerbal on a  mission

54 come November...  And ayup, still roleplay.

6 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

You, sir, pretty much summed up my pre-pubescent period of my youth. :D (All the Calvin and Hobbes books are literally sitting on my bookshelf three feet away as I type this)

I STILL read my Calvin and Hobbes :D I just picked up a new hard bound Lazy Sunday Book <my soft bound one is a bit ragged from its age> and I have the entire anthology <the HUGE 3 book set with the box, the one that has every single C&H ever, and other assorted goodies> the ONLY one I lack is Teaching With Calvin and Hobbes :(.

op time 03:23:30

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.