KSP Challenge: The Atari Challenge!

Darth Badie

znbEWJvOC-_FFNIOyj0W4UkWbfzOoomuqS76wrUq

Hello everyone, 

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "The Atari Challenge"

Capture at least 2 asteroids with a single vessel, single launch from Kerbin.

Score is tallied by the total mass of all asteroids captured. To determine score, after capturing your asteroids, check your mass on the map screen's info button. This is your Total Mass. Now release all asteroids and check mass again. This is your Vessel Mass. Now subtract Vessel Mass from Total Mass. This is your Base Score. (Please no decoupling all the parts of your ship before checking mass)

To encourage capturing of multiple asteroids, a bonus of 100% of your Base Score will be added for each asteroid beyond the minimum 2. Example: Player 1 has 2 asteroids and a Base Score of 120. This is his Final Score. Player 2 has 4 asteroids and a base score of 60. Player 2 then receives a 60 point bonus for asteroid 3 and another 60 point bonus for asteroid 4. Player 2's Final Score is 180. In this way, a greater number of small asteroids can be worth more than a smaller number of larger asteroids.

Rules:

• Stock parts and physics. Stock-alike parts are fine, but no OP engines, exotic fuels, or light-weight tanks and structural parts (keep it fair, please).
  • No docking with anything that was not a part of the original launch (except asteroids :D).
  • ISRU is fine, and will probably be necessary. However, each unit of ore taken from an asteroid will reduce its mass and thereby lower your score.

There will obviously be a lot of warping to capture multiple asteroids, but try to share your screenshots, videos or images. @cratercracker has made an awesome badge for this challenge. You guys are really gonna like it. So good luck and have fun!  

Thanks to @Cpt Kerbalkrunch for sharing this great idea and making it possible! 

****  YOU HAVE ONE MORE WEEK :wink:  this challenge will end on August 30 ****

Do the asteroid(s) need to stay on the ship all the time after capturing or can you put them in a safe orbit while gathering more and join them together for the final score?

Edit: And does it need to be at Kerbin?

Edited by rudi1291

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

180 ?

Ha. Yes, 180. I was in a rush yesterday to beat the Mun Arch deadline. :blush: Sorry about that. @Badie, could you edit that to say 180, please?

@rudi1291, I thought quite a bit about whether or not staging asteroids should be allowed. In the end I didn't want to stifle creativity, so it is allowed. The launch must be from Kerbin, but you can grab asteroids from anywhere, and stage them wherever you like. However, you need a screenshot or video of all asteroids attached to your ship at the same time for them to be counted.

Ooh, so this challenge could prompt me to search for the fabled (and almost certainly fictitious) planet of Dres and its legendary asteroid fields.

Although everyone knows Dres is just a bedtime story for young Kerbals.

So, just spitballing ideas in my head, re:

"No docking with anything that was not a part of the original launch (except asteroids :D)."

Am I correct in thinking that a craft which disassembles itself and re-arranges around an asteroid (eg, multiple sub-sections comprised of ARM claws at each end, probe core & some RCS) to form an ever growing Asteroid SnakeTM would be:

1. within the rules
  2. very cool
  3. entirely unpractical & unwieldy
  4. really very, extremely, cool
  5. quite explodey

9 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

So, just spitballing ideas in my head, re:

"No docking with anything that was not a part of the original launch (except asteroids :D)."

Am I correct in thinking that a craft which disassembles itself and re-arranges around an asteroid (eg, multiple sub-sections comprised of ARM claws at each end, probe core & some RCS) to form an ever growing Asteroid SnakeTM would be:

1. within the rules
  2. very cool
  3. entirely unpractical & unwieldy
  4. really very, extremely, cool
  5. quite explodey

Yes to all. :D

If I wasn't so busy, i would try to make an asteroid chain, make it into 3 pieces, fly each through a mun arch or past an Easter egg, then re-join it. But like I said, I'm busy.:(

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Should be able to post tonight. Wanted to get an entry in quickly, so I just used a simple design and launched last night. Grabbed 2 asteroids and was heading for a bonus rock when I had to give in and get some sleep. You would think a ship towing 2 asteroids would be unwieldy, but it handles like a dream.

If your dream is a brick strapped to a bottle rocket. :D

On 8/9/2017 at 2:32 PM, MiniMatt said:

1. really very, extremely, cool
  2. quite explodey

Should have made the engines on the front instead of plane-deployed so wobble doesn't happen

Went with a pretty simple design here so I could get the first entry in. Took awhile, but I finally grabbed 3 asteroids and got back to Kerbin (caught them all in solar orbit). Two Class C's and a Class E. Had to drill one of the Class C's and the Class E, as well. The ship was so tough to control that it burned a ton of fuel for even simple maneuvers.

screenshot548.png

The ship has 5 Klaws, but the Class C's were too large to fit four on the top of the ship. Class A's would've worked for sure, and maybe Class B's.

screenshot546.png

Had a Munar flyby on the way back to LKO. Grabbed this shot just cuz it looked cool.

screenshot547.png

Total Mass is 2,046 tons (rounded down). Vessel Mass is 136 tons (rounded up). Base score is 1,910. Bonus for 3rd asteroid is 1,910. Total Score is 3,820. I'm sure this score won't stand, but I'm glad to get the ball rolling.

27 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

Unless the player can actually shoot the asteroids and break them into smaller bits, this cannot be titled an Atari challenge.

Part II: If you collected them in Kerbin orbit, de-orbit them; attempt to hit them with a direct rocket launch from the surface. The lower to the ground and higher the (combined?) impact speed, the higher the score.

Anyway, back about this challenge: Yeah. I read "Atari Challenge" and I thought it was designing and launching a vessel that looked like an Atari console. Or, now that I think about it more, Atari-era classic characters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.