KSP Challenge: The Atari Challenge!

Darth Badie

You people are getting me worried, so:

5th asteroid added JQL-056-E at 2669t it is the biggest yet! 

Added to ECQ-291-E at 1202t, EWT-435-E at 2419.4t, SMW-714-C at 64.2t, and DCM-533-E at a 1764t that puts my total rock mass at 8363t and 5 rocks gives a total score multiplier of 4x for a grand total of 33452 points.

(and if anyone manages to top that, I'll need to go find another rock of at least 1650t so I can top 50K points with my last easily available linking unit)

note: Same album, but the previous post is far enough back it seemed unproductive to update it

Edit: ok, so perhaps I just can't stop fiddling with some things.

6th rock collected: YRD-633-E at 3155.78t.  I did not realize they got bigger than 3000 tons, but apparently they do...

Looks like that brings the rock mass up to 11518 tons with 6 rocks for a x5 multiplier and a total score of 57,590.

I really hope I am done with this, as my only remaining options are to either discard the dinky little 60 ton class C for something bigger, or to decouple the two original asteroids and try to re-connect them in a way that only needs one link as opposed to the two I originally used due to the claw sinking too far into the rock and wanting the keep the asteroids from clipping when they connected.

What is more, all of these rocks were collected on a single load of fuel which was harvested from Dres before I captured my first rock, meaning that my ~70t ship used only 5137 of the 12345 units of liquid fuel on board when it last launched from a planetary body to collect all these rocks(counting a unit of ore as 2 units of liquid fuel).

Edited by Terwin
Added a 6th boulder to my rock collection

Well that was a completely new experience, sort of like watching grass grow.  Getting to the asteroids wasn't so bad but moving them was painful.  I must have completely restarted three times, and the screenshots are so disjointed that I'm just going to show the final shot.  I'm not even sure they are all from the same attempt.  Frankly, I'm just happy I managed to do it at all.

These were both class C asteroids, although I ended up mining the crap out of them getting them back to Kerbin.  The final mass/score was about 110 tons.  As an aside, the Convert-O-Tron 125 is the slowest, crappiest converter I've ever had the privilege of never wanting to use ever again.

zoS4AXy.png

6 hours ago, Skystorm said:

Well that was a completely new experience, sort of like watching grass grow.

I'm hesitant to mention it, after you've put in the extra effort, but it's no longer necessary to bring them back to Kerbin. Once you've captured at least two, you can stop anywhere you want. You've earned your badge, and some style points as well. :)

Could not agree more on the small converter. It's a lot like a kid with his vegetables. For every spoonful he eats, he feeds about ten to the dog. :D

Anyway, great job.

On ‎18‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 0:18 PM, Marschig said:

It can be easily modified to catch 17 asteroids, but i don't have so much time:
4zjeLpI.png

I found the time and did it :)

rRWawNh.png

17 asteroids: 8 A class (inner circle), 8 B class (outer circle) and one E class.

Total mass 3131 t.

Total score 3131 + 15 * 3131 = 50096

3 minutes ago, Marschig said:

I found the time and did it :)

17 asteroids: 8 A class (inner circle), 8 B class (outer circle) and one E class.

Total mass 3131 t.

Total score 3131 + 15 * 3131 = 50096

Wow, 14 of those 17 are down to 0.00 resources, even with up to 9 engines, that must have taken some lengthy burns!

How's asteroid mining these days? Last time I tried, a single drill was more than enough to keep the converter busy -- actually, you would vent most of the asteroid's resources into deep space if you didn't pay attention.

6 minutes ago, Laie said:

How's asteroid mining these days? Last time I tried, a single drill was more than enough to keep the converter busy -- actually, you would vent most of the asteroid's resources into deep space if you didn't pay attention.

One drill is still more than enough for at least one, maybe even two converters. I had two big drills on my ship, thats unnecessary fast. The bug with the wasted ressources seems to be gone: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/5250

Hmmm... Well, I have a rather... unusual situation... and I'm thinking I may have to skip out now. Yesterday I did a little experimenting, and it not only worked, it worked way beyond my wildest expectations... so much so I have to save the results for Emiko Station down the road.  :wink:

loopholer.jpg

Three rocks and the ship that brought them. Not shown: they're in orbit around the Mun.

Vessel's name is "Grab" but in hindsight, "Loopholer" would have been more apt. It refuels on the Mun between missions and typically needs to take very little (if any) resources from the asteroids.

Between rigid attachments and autostruts, fetching asteroids has become pretty straightforward. Still, while I carry enough links to chain another six asteroids, I don't think I'll actually go out and fly the missions.

Yup. At work, but I was trying to reply. This was completely my fault. I was totally out of contact Wednesday and didn't know Badie had sent me a message. She didn't get my reply 'til yesterday, so I assume she's checking to see who qualifies and will then send us all a message.

I should've sent the badge days ago, obviously. It was my first ever challenge, and I'm afraid I didn't really know what I was doing. Sincere apologies to all. My next will be much better if I get another shot. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.