Building Games

Bubbadevlin

I enjoy KSP, and think it is truly a great game, I but i am starting to get bored of the game. One of the aspects I really like though is the building part, It is one of, if not the best, and most flexible builders in games I have found. This is somewhat a problem, because I have been unable to find a new game I really like similar to this. Most of them I try are either very limiting, or you can only build squarely/on snap points.

What I am wondering is, what other games are out there with such a flexible building experience as KSP?

Space Engineers is alright although I've heard there are performance issues with it recently (I haven't booted it up in some time so I'm not sure what's been done). The building aspect of it is more like Minecraft than KSP, but it's still a lot of fun (I have 100 hours in it).

The freeform building style of KSP is pretty unique in the gaming world, though. If you're getting bored of it and want more I'd suggest mods. Otherwise, I don't know of anything similar at this time.

I like Minecraft a lot because of the freedom to create, and the lack of combat is a nice change of pace from most computer games which emphasize conflict. (There are monsters which are active at night and in dark places, but fighting them is not the point of the game.) But Minecraft does consist of immobile structure building. 

If you want to build things that do stuff, you might try From the Depths. I am not getting very far into it still because the tutorials are inadequate and the UI is awkward, but I am interested in using blocks not unllke Minecraft blocks to construct vessels to go out and combat each other. 

Hmm, building aspects are quite hard to find in the gaming world.

We have simpleplanes, a game that allows you to build costum planes, i dont know about realistic aerodynamics in that game though.

There is no game like KSP, Space Engineers is the closest match, but the following are also in my "builder" category in my steam library:

Factorio - resource management to the max (check out "Big Pharma" for a similar experience based on the pharmaceuticals industry)

Prison Architect - this is just excellent all round (check out Rimworld if youd rather planetary survival rather than a prison)

Cities: Skylines - most modern city builder around at the mo, I think.

Besiege - Medieval KSP

Kinetic Void - modularly built space battleships (an indie devs early attempt, so not 110% "AAA" grade, but the ship building/combat mechanics are pretty cool)

Just wondering - have you explored the weird and wonderful world of KSP mods? If not, do, because you can expand your KSP content by several hundred percent.

Certainly Space Engineers comes to mind, though I would vastly prefer a proper build mode in a workshop environment rather than building first person like MineCraft. I personally find it hard to plan things out without building them at least in part, and I think large scale construction would go a lot faster in a hanger view like KSP. I'm also just a poor planner in general, always forgetting to make space for my conveyor pipes or somesuch.

For more flexible building I'm not really sure. There is a game I used to play years ago that would likely fit the bill, but I don't know if it still exists, and for the life of me I've not a clue what it was called. It was a 2D game where you would draw various shapes that could be joined together with welds, hinges, motors, springs, and so on. You could create vehicles to cross rough terrain, various projectile weapons (people would attach thrusters to a bunch of small blocks to simulate gun powder for example). Maybe I've sparked a memory in someone else who has played the game and actually knows what it was called?

• 2 weeks later...

A new game that I've been playing is cosmoteer. Its a 2d top down game where you build ships to fight other ships and get bounties to then do the same thing again. There is also sandbox mode which lets you build insanely big and fun ships to battle with. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes space and building games. The best part of it is that not only does it support the creation of mods from the community, but its totally free! (who can say no to free?).

Edited by nascarlaser1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

A new game that I've been playing is cosmoteer. Its a 2d top down game where you build ships to fight other ships and get bounties to then do the same thing again. There is also sandbox mode which lets you build insanely big and fun ships to battle with. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes space and building games. The best part of it is that not only does it support the creation of mods from the community, but its totally free! (who can say no to free?).

Just stopped by to say I picked up Cosmoteer on your recommendation and it is seriously addictive!

Im impressed and it is developing well too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.