Why is so much harder to get to Earth Orbit?

Spaced Out

You've answered your own question by your delta-V stats  (although Kerbin orbital speed is closer to 3500m/s).  Earth requires a much higher velocity to achieve orbit because it is bigger.  If you think of an Evil-Knievel motorcycle jump you need more speed to jump 10 buses than only 3 for a given ramp height.  Same with Earth/Kerbin - you need more speed to keep falling and missing with a bigger planet.

Remember Newton's hypothetical cannonball shot from a hypothetical mountain above the atmosphere ?

240px-Newton_Cannon.svg.png

Remember that to reach orbit, you need to go fast. A and B don't go fast enough so they fall to Earth. Achieving orbit is about falling and missing the ground, so if you fire a cannonball fast enough it falls beyond the Earth (C and D). If you shoot it even faster, it escapes (E).

Now, because the Earth is much much bigger than Kerbin, although the gravity is the same, you need to shoot your cannonball much further to go beyond the horizon, which means it has to go much faster.

Edited by Nibb31

Also Kerbin's gravity drops of much more quickly with the inverse square law. Adding 100km to kerbins 600km radius means that the acceleration due to gravity there is only 7.2m/s^2 whereas adding 100km to Earths 6400km radius means gravity has only decreased to 9.5m/s^2

Earth does not have a thicker atmosphere, Kerbins atmosphere is just lower, and Earths atmosphere is something like 2x higher untill you reach a good parking orbit. The reason why it takes less Delta-V is because you need to curve away from alot less surface area, than Earth, because Kerbin is alot smaller. 

Earth is 10 times bigger than Kerbin. (radius)  and is 100 times heavier.  

(You would think that the mass of Earth would be 1000 larger as the volume, but apparently Kerbin is made up of something twice as heavy as the heaviest material IRL )

If we do like in the game approximate the gravity to all be in a point at the center of the planet Earth have a 100 times greater gravity then Kerbin. The surface gravity is the same as the Earths surface is 10 times farther from the center then Kerbins surface.  (gravity decreases with r^2)

10 hours ago, captainb said:

You've answered your own question by your delta-V stats  (although Kerbin orbital speed is closer to 3500m/s). 

I'm pretty sure I've seen around 2000m/s in LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit).  I suspect the 3500m/s number means that Kerbin rockets suffer similar gravity and aero-drag losses as Earth rockets (thanks to similar atmospheres and 9.08m/s**2 gravity).

21 minutes ago, wumpus said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen around 2000m/s in LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit).  I suspect the 3500m/s number means that Kerbin rockets suffer similar gravity and aero-drag losses as Earth rockets (thanks to similar atmospheres and 9.08m/s**2 gravity).

Precisely.

Earth orbital speed is closer to 7km/s, too, but the 9km/s figure comes in when you add gravity and aerodynamic losses.

Circular orbital speed is sqrt(gR), where g is gravitational acceleration, R is radius. g has the same value at surface of Earth and Kerbin, but Earth radius is about 11 times greater than Kerbin's (6400 km vs 600 km). Therefore, circular orbital speed at LEO is sqrt(11) ~ 3.3 times larger than at LKO. The overall difference in dV to orbit is a bit smaller because those dV include gravity, drag and steering losses that are comparable for both planets.

Edited by Pand5461

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.