Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bartybum

[REQUEST] Procedural aircraft fuselage pieces

2 posts in this topic

By now there's multiple procedural parts generation mods that allow fully custom rocket and spaceplane designs. However, I'm yet to see one that tailors towards more graceful fuselage design for aircraft. I doubt I'm the first to think of this, but I haven't yet found any topics that discuss this.

The would only feature one part - a regular procedural fuel tank.

Users can edit the same properties that current procedural parts mods allow, such as textures, width, length, part type (fuel, structural, battery, etc), and so on. However, the following customisation options would also be included:

Cross Section Type: Each fuel tank has a cross sectional shape that can be changed.

• Ellipse
  • Rectangle
  • Chamfer Rectangle (diagonal corners)
  • Fillet Rectangle (rounded corners)

Cross Section Dimensions: Each end of a fuel tank has tweakable geometric properties. These would be unique to each end. For example, you could have a fuel tank that starts as a tall ellipse and ends as a flat ellipse, or a square with small chamfer corners growing in size as you move down the tank.

• Section width
  • Section height
  • Chamfer size
  • Fillet radius

Cross Section Smoothing: Each end of a fuel tank has optional smoothing. What this means is that you can make a tank change shape smoothly, rather than instantaneously. This would allow you to have multiple parts inline that gradually change shape so that your fuselage doesn't have any jagged lines. This imgur link describes what I'm talking about.

Section Offset: Each end of a fuel tank can be offset vertically and horizontally. This would allow you to create long and smooth tail/nose pieces, much like what we see in aircraft in reality.

Is there anything already like this? What do you guys think of this?

1 person likes this

Try suggesting on the Procedural Parts thread, should be easy enough to implement since the code already exists, and this would just be adding new models.