[1.3] Nucleartaxi's 4k Skybox Kollection: Nebulae and the Galactic Core

Nucleartaxi

UPTTZa4.png

About:

I made several 4k skyboxes in space engine and wanted to share them. Click on each imgur link to see an album with more pictures of each skybox.

[NEW] Crab Nebula http://imgur.com/a/KKtQe

zTd2GOl.png

Download:

Galactic Core: http://imgur.com/a/xPS24

xsTDAw3.png

Download:

Blue Nebula: http://imgur.com/a/uoKV0

Ji8tXpn.png

Download:

Dark Galaxy: http://imgur.com/a/96WhI

cUdLVJ8.png

Download:

Installation:

• Download and install Texture Replacer Replaced v0.4 (for ksp 1.3).
  • Download your desired skybox.
  • Merge the gamedata folders.
  • Enjoy!

NOTE: If you use Distant Object Enhancement, it darkens the skybox by default. This can make some of the stars and nebulae less visible. It is a fantastic mod, but I recommend disabling the darken skybox option in the config file. That way you keep the bright skybox with all of distant object's great features. 

If you want to make your own skyboxes, I have a tutorial here.

Thank you!

License: All Rights Reserved.

Edited by Nucleartaxi

47 minutes ago, DeathSkull-SpaceGamer said:

Wow, These skybox look beautiful :D I've always wanted a skybox with a nebula in the background. Just makes everything nice

Thank you :)! I'm glad you like them! I've only seen 1 nebula skybox out there so I wanted to add some more variety.

1 hour ago, Nucleartaxi said:

I'm glad you like that one! It's one of my favorites too. It's amazing how many stars there are in a galaxy.

Reminds me of what Al Worden said about the view on the dark side of the moon.

"The sky is just awash with stars when you're on the far side of the Moon, and you don't have any sunlight to cut down on the lower intensity, dimmer stars. You see them all, and it's all just a sheet of white."

- Al Worden  Apollo 15

1 hour ago, pross said:

Loving the Blue one. I have poor eyesight and I think this helps :)

I'm glad it helps!

50 minutes ago, NapalmPK said:

Reminds me of what Al Worden said about the view on the dark side of the moon.

"The sky is just awash with stars when you're on the far side of the Moon, and you don't have any sunlight to cut down on the lower intensity, dimmer stars. You see them all, and it's all just a sheet of white."

- Al Worden  Apollo 15

I haven't heard that quote before! I think I heard that there are like 400 quadrillion stars in the galaxy or something like that.

12 hours ago, Nucleartaxi said:

I'm glad it helps!

I haven't heard that quote before! I think I heard that there are like 400 quadrillion stars in the galaxy or something like that.

where did you get the skyboxes from? I have made a couple within SpaceEngine but I have had issues with them washing out the stars

Edited by proto85

1 hour ago, proto85 said:

where did you get the skyboxes from? I have made a couple within SpaceEngine but I have had issues with them washing out the stars

I had the same problem at first too. You have to go into the graphics settings in space engine and crank up overbright. That gets a lot more stars into the skybox. I think I used around 50 for that setting, but play around with it. I think there is a setting below it that makes stars more colorful as well. Also don't do it within a star system, go between systems. When exporting, set the resolution to 4096 for a super hi-res skybox. After that I used the windows photo app to change the colors, contrast, and other settings to make everything brighter and more colorful. Using a combination of photo settings can make the skybox look a lot different and messing around will eventually get the skybox you want. I hope this helped!

44 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

love the nebula skybox!

I'm glad you like it! I'm currently using that one in my career.

8 hours ago, Nucleartaxi said:

I had the same problem at first too. You have to go into the graphics settings in space engine and crank up overbright. That gets a lot more stars into the skybox. I think I used around 50 for that setting, but play around with it. I think there is a setting below it that makes stars more colorful as well. Also don't do it within a star system, go between systems. When exporting, set the resolution to 4096 for a super hi-res skybox. After that I used the windows photo app to change the colors, contrast, and other settings to make everything brighter and more colorful. Using a combination of photo settings can make the skybox look a lot different and messing around will eventually get the skybox you want. I hope this helped!

I'm glad you like it! I'm currently using that one in my career.

Thanks man! Do you rotate the images or change any of the names at all before importing into ksp? I have had some problems with that as well. 

Edit: When I say change the names I mean change positives to negatives or X to Y. Not just changing them so texture replace will recognize them. 

Edited by proto85
clarification

1 hour ago, proto85 said:

Thanks man! Do you rotate the images or change any of the names at all before importing into ksp? I have had some problems with that as well. 

Edit: When I say change the names I mean change positives to negatives or X to Y. Not just changing them so texture replace will recognize them. 

Don't change any positives or negatives when converting the names to texturereplacer names. Also sometimes the positive Y square needs to be rotated 180 degrees, I'm not sure why (pun not intended). The times things were screwed up it was only with the Y squares so don't change the x or z ones. Mostly just play around with it and always keep a copy of the original textures so you can revert your changes if it goes wrong. Make sure to show me when you're finished and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

@proto85 I'm sorry I'm not really sure. That's strange because the squares look like they are in the right place. Maybe try re-exporting the skybox from space engine? What resolution did you use? Also very nice nebula. I haven't explored much of space engine but there's a lot of cool stuff there.

Edited by Nucleartaxi

2 minutes ago, Nucleartaxi said:

@proto85 I'm sorry I'm not really sure. That's strange because the squares look like they are in the right place. Maybe try re-exporting the skybox from space engine? What resolution did you use? Also very nice nebula. I haven't explored much of space engine but there's a lot of cool stuff there.

Ill give the re export a try. That skybox is 4k. I have been messing around with space engine for a little less than a year now and I am still often surprised  with the things I see. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.