Hello,

I'm aware of the fact that there already are plenty of threads with the exact same topic, but none of them acctually answered my question.

Most of them are like "You dont need to allocate more RAM, all you need is better CPU". However, I know why they say these things as I

am quite versed in Hardware questions. Still, I read the crash reports of my game and by how and when the game crashes I am confident that know what is to do.

All i need to know is how I can allocate more RAM. I'm happy about anybody trying to help! :)

3 hours ago, Lucactus said:

I read the crash reports of my game and by how and when the game crashes I am confident that know what is to do.

To upload them so other people can actually tell you what they say? :P

Edited by Harry Rhodan

If you were versed in these things you'd know that asking how to "allocate more RAM" really just doesn't make any sense unless you're programming something. Memory is continuously allocated and deallocated by software as needed, it's a continuous process. The only possibly relevant limitation I can think of would be the addressing limit of a single 32-bit thread, which is on the order of gigabytes, but KSP is released with a 64-bit build so it's not relevant.

If memory usage were going up and up continuously until you ran out, more than it should, that would be a memory leak, a lack of deallocation, which still wouldn't be a problem until you ran *out* of memory... that is, after all of it is already allocated. But you imply that you have memory to spare, room to allocate, so this isn't the case.

The operating system imposes no arbitrary limitations on how much memory a program can allocate. Computer resources are there for the taking, for every single thing running on it. Maybe this will help you to understand why your question doesn't make sense? Only the program allocates memory, and by extension the programmer, it's not even a thing for end users.

If you're below 8GB of RAM, it would be wise to upgrade it indeed. 
But by running the game in open-gl or dx11 mode, it will use a lot less RAM.

If you're already running in one of those 2 methods, I would suggest to buy an extra ramstrip (RAM is quitte cheap these day).

RAM is also quite easy to install. Going to a shop will charge you extra money. 
Google in your case/cpu type with installing ram, and you get a lot of videos showing how the job's done.

Edited by DrLicor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.