Which Mods Have Folding Wings

panarchist

Hi all,

This has been asked several times in one form or another over the last 3 years, but I don't see a comprehensive answer in any of the threads I found.  What mods currently have parts with folding wings? (whether or not they have dependencies like Firespitter or IR)  Thanks!

There are folding wings in Contares*, MOLE and others, but none of them work correctly,

The only folding wing option that I have found that works is in Contares in the Dreamcrusher model, it's wings fold out and provide a lot of lift, but it is really really, ( launching asymmetrical aeroplanes is easier ) , really hard to land something with a folding wing. 

My advice is to give up on trying to find a folding wing / paraglider / deployable wing mod and concentrate on good reusable pods with retro rockets. 

For me, space planes and aero glide back options are not viable. I have a lot of success with boost back 1st stages (a la space x)  and rocket assisted landings ( soyuz style )

* Contares has multiple folding / deployable wings

the Mod RetractableLiftingSurface is probably your best bet for 'Folding Wings' and rightly as  GenericEventHandler says very few mods have working ones.

That said I spent many, many hours trying to perfect the ones used on the REKT OTAV, it's greatly improved although its does have a very targeted application. Modding anything to work nicely in Stock aero is hard and then on top of that getting a folding wing surface to work as intended is harder still.

On 12.8.2017 at 1:40 AM, genericeventhandler said:

There are folding wings in Contares*, MOLE and others, but none of them work correctly,

Taking into account the below-average aerodynamic characteristics of KSP, the CONTARES folding, rotating wings and Paraglider which use the Mod RetractableLiftingSurface work correctly, provided the 'Wings' are positioned in the correct position to the CoM.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, genericeventhandler said:

The only folding wing option that I have found that works is in Contares in the Dreamcrusher model, it's wings fold out and provide a lot of lift, but it is really really, ( launching asymmetrical aeroplanes is easier ) , really hard to land something with a folding wing. 

My advice is to give up on trying to find a folding wing / paraglider / deployable wing mod and concentrate on good reusable pods with retro rockets. 

For me, space planes and aero glide back options are not viable. I have a lot of success with boost back 1st stages (a la space x)  and rocket assisted landings ( soyuz style )

* Contares has multiple folding / deployable wings

In my case, I'm looking for a folding wing for aircraft so they can fit inside an aircraft carrier airship (Heisenberg mod) - so I can build something like a Corsair or a Hellcat to fit in the hangar. For spaceplanes I use entirely fixed wing craft.

Thanks for the assistance folks!  Will be checking those out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.