panarchist

Which Mods Have Folding Wings

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This has been asked several times in one form or another over the last 3 years, but I don't see a comprehensive answer in any of the threads I found.  What mods currently have parts with folding wings? (whether or not they have dependencies like Firespitter or IR)  Thanks!

Posted (edited)

As a moderator, I can confirm that I do not have folding wings.

I've heard that @Deddly does, though.

IR is the mod you'd want to use, I think, though I've never tried it.

Edited by Dman979
Capitals.
3 people like this

Lack Luster's SXT extension - Continued.

There are folding wings in Contares*, MOLE and others, but none of them work correctly,

The only folding wing option that I have found that works is in Contares in the Dreamcrusher model, it's wings fold out and provide a lot of lift, but it is really really, ( launching asymmetrical aeroplanes is easier ) , really hard to land something with a folding wing. 

My advice is to give up on trying to find a folding wing / paraglider / deployable wing mod and concentrate on good reusable pods with retro rockets. 

For me, space planes and aero glide back options are not viable. I have a lot of success with boost back 1st stages (a la space x)  and rocket assisted landings ( soyuz style )

* Contares has multiple folding / deployable wings

Infernal RoboticsProcedural Wings=Freedom(form x function) - trying anything else for lack of necessity

the Mod RetractableLiftingSurface is probably your best bet for 'Folding Wings' and rightly as  GenericEventHandler says very few mods have working ones.

That said I spent many, many hours trying to perfect the ones used on the REKT OTAV, it's greatly improved although its does have a very targeted application. Modding anything to work nicely in Stock aero is hard and then on top of that getting a folding wing surface to work as intended is harder still.

2 people like this

On 12.8.2017 at 1:40 AM, genericeventhandler said:

There are folding wings in Contares*, MOLE and others, but none of them work correctly,

Taking into account the below-average aerodynamic characteristics of KSP, the CONTARES folding, rotating wings and Paraglider which use the Mod RetractableLiftingSurface work correctly, provided the 'Wings' are positioned in the correct position to the CoM.