KSP Weekly: A Voyage in a Lifetime

SQUAD

What's the "next American engine"?

On 8/11/2017 at 2:47 PM, SQUAD said:
tumblr_inline_ouj5qouTWs1rr2wit_540.png

devs can plan out the work and sprints, 

What's a "sprints"?

Pics would be appreciated.

I encourage organic and collaborative efforts that make KSP more awesome.  Keep up the good work guys! And tell the money bags man that his purse will get fatter if he loosens the reins. :kiss:

11 hours ago, regex said:

As an aside, I find it highly amusing that they stopped posting previews.

Yes.  Many words = Less information = more knowledge...

KSP and Squad have finally and fully entered the 1984 zone.

4 hours ago, Skystorm said:

@MrChumley A sprint is part of the Agile development methodology.  Instead of planning everything in detail right at the start like traditional project management, the team designs and builds the overall project in 2 - 4 week iterations called sprints.

It is also important to mention that effective 'sprinting' is better enabled through access to a focused (and managed) user group that can review the progress of each sprint against evolving requirements <----- based on my experience.

Also IMHO when Dev teams conduct sprint based development "in isolation" it is usually a cover for lazy requirement definition.

You may all now point the flamethrowers in my general direction.

1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

It is also important to mention that effective 'sprinting' is better enabled through access to a focused (and managed) user group that can review the progress of each sprint against evolving requirements <----- based on my experience.

QA in some form must always be involved, active and empowered, otherwise the teams tends to sprint off in an unknown direction.

But the proportions between employed QA staff, payed externals and un-paid volunteers depends very much on the project.

Hm... nothing here that really spikes my interest.

It's more like steady as she goes...,

but nothing that catches the eye! :-(

Don't get me wrong i appreciate the news but hm man it's reading like a report not as something fancy...

Edited by Nightmare

18 hours ago, regex said:

As an aside, I find it highly amusing that they stopped posting previews.

Not sure what's amusing when there is no new part pic to show.  No need to read anything extra into it, yes?

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 - Apollo, not Orion.

6 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Also IMHO when Dev teams conduct sprint based development "in isolation" it is usually a cover for lazy requirement definition.

(Taking off Squad hat)  As someone who professionally coached teams (sizes ranged from three person start-ups to one group that had 3,500 engineers worldwide), and who (literally) built some of the material on agile process improvement for Microsoft, your comments are dangerously incorrect, and your latter comment RE lazy requirements / dev in isolation is completely false.  I respect that you have your own personal anecdotes, but they are apparently bad ones ;)

Edited by RoverDude

5 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

I wonder why...

Not naming anyone in particular of course...

Life hacks:  If a few people out of many criticize what you're doing, you don't actually need to stop doing said thing.

Edited by klgraham1013

8 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Life hacks:  If a few people out of many criticize what you're doing, you don't actually need to stop doing said thing.

More just common sense.  But some folks are making  very poor assumptions.

23 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

More just common sense.  But some folks are making  very poor assumptions.

Speaking of which I for one don't mind a lack of pictures the last couple of weeks and appreciate the bar for quality WIP shots being raised, and the appropriate amount of time being taken. No point seeing something that's too raw and will likely come out very different by the end no matter what is said.

10 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Not sure what's amusing when there is no new part pic to show.  No need to read anything extra into it, yes?

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 - Apollo, not Orion.

(Taking off Squad hat)  As someone who professionally coached teams (sizes ranged from three person start-ups to one group that had 3,500 engineers worldwide), and who (literally) built some of the material on agile process improvement for Microsoft, your comments are dangerously incorrect, and your latter comment RE lazy requirements / dev in isolation is completely false.  I respect that you have your own personal anecdotes, but they are apparently bad ones ;)

Everyone has their own modes of experience - yours may have likely been more magical than mine - and perhaps more aligned with a unique dev process. Regardless, I respect your point of view. 

That said, points of view are points of view - "bad"ness is an opinion.

What IS interesting is the fact that such protestation has occurred.

Let us agree that this point of discussion will remain unresolved. I'm Ok with that. Professionals do not all have completely similar experiences.

4 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

Everyone has their own modes of experience - yours may have likely been more magical than mine

Not so much magical as extensive, covering different industries and dozens of teams (mostly U.S., sometimes Europe and Canada).  My entire job was to go in and coach teams and/or help them become more awesome.  Part of that was calling out when something is bad, and getting it fixed.  And not sure what protestation you're talking about, did not catch that in any of the context.

15 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Not so much magical as extensive, covering different industries and dozens of teams (mostly U.S., sometimes Europe and Canada).  My entire job was to go in and coach teams and/or help them become more awesome.  Part of that was calling out when something is bad, and getting it fixed.  And not sure what protestation you're talking about, did not catch that in any of the context.

its ok. don't worry about it. 

EDIT: My bad. Perhaps the gaming sector is so much very better than other sectors.  I shall now refrain from commenting further. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Edited by Wallygator

On 8/12/2017 at 2:05 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Do you remember how long the wait was for Career mode? This is an equally (if not more) complex update so I would expect for it to take that much time if not more. I don't think they are understaffed at all, just extra busy. :)

I've been doing software development for 20+ years and I know exactly what it is like when a development team loses the vast majority of its senior development team.  A lot of experience and knowledge left the game and it takes a very long time to recover from that loss.  In my experience, it takes about a year to regain the same momentum, but the work is really slow/backlogged during that time.  Just look at how long it is taking to get an incremental post-release patch out ...

We've heard a lot about DESIGN and seen some art, but I suspect not much has been accomplished on the building-things side of the project.

Edited by Caelib

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@RoverDude what new code is required for the new service module? I assume that's referring to the nose thing that goes on top of the capsule? I'm curious what new functionality I can expect to make use of.

Would like to know this as well.

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@RoverDude what new code is required for the new service module? I assume that's referring to the nose thing that goes on top of the capsule? I'm curious what new functionality I can expect to make use of.

I would guess it has to do with shielding the parts inside of the new service module. The cargo bay module shielding is tied to the cargo bay door animations, and the fairing probably have their own special way of marking parts as shielded, so this new module probably needs something specialized, too.

On 15.8.2017 at 8:15 PM, DMagic said:

I would guess it has to do with shielding the parts inside of the new service module. The cargo bay module shielding is tied to the cargo bay door animations, and the fairing probably have their own special way of marking parts as shielded, so this new module probably needs something specialized, too.

I guess, if its part of the expansion pack, its more about preventing modders to recreate that functionality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.