Silverwood

Bad landing - broken lander legs - repair possible?

Question

Hello

I made a bad landing with my new lander and broke the leg on on side. I mean broke off!

Is there a way for an engineer to repair/ replace? I have tried to search but just can't find the right reply.

Thanks.

Keith

11 answers to this question

Depending on the gravity where you are and the design of your ship, you may be able to pop it up in the air with other legs by deploying/undeploying them. Or failing that just thrust along the ground and try to pull up before parts start shearing off.

Either way, quicksave first!

No. There are two stages of damage. "Damaged" legs can be repaired by a 2-star engineer, IIRC. "Broken" is unrepairable.

7 hours ago, Silverwood said:

Hello

I made a bad landing with my new lander and broke the leg on on side. I mean broke off!

Is there a way for an engineer to repair/ replace? I have tried to search but just can't find the right reply.

Thanks.

Keith

You could potentially use KIS to replace it.

@bewing - I don't think there is a damaged state for landing legs, just broken. You may be thinking of wheels.

Just now, bewing said:

It may not be working in the game currently, but check the 2-star capability:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Engineer

Huh. I've never seen landing legs get damaged in-game

7 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Huh. I've never seen landing legs get damaged in-game

Me neither, but I don't use landing legs because of the Unity wheel bug. I use wing parts instead.

Ok thanks. In the end i used an earlier save and re did the mission. I don have the KIS mod installed and actually my engineers are still only level 1, so I dont think they could have repaired it. The 'crash' happened on Minimus, I dont know how but the entire craft just fell over! It is top heavy though.

I feel like I've definitely seen landing legs get damaged in game, once they are they won't deploy/undeploy and they are stuck in whatever position they were in when they broke.

Maybe I'm wrong though and I just imagined it lol.

On Minmus, you usually have enough torque to be able to manage a liftoff of some sort regardless.  Spin it so the other legs will kick the engine up, extend and retract the legs, and follow the motion as it comes back down.