Mount Helena Space Agency

ldiFq3A.jpg

MOUNT HELENA SPACE AGENCY

The Kerbin of MHSA:

Kerbin is dying. 

Perhaps it was the violent wars from long ago that did it. 
Perhaps it was the fact that Kerbals had riddled the planets crust with tunnels for their homes. 
Perhaps it just was always meant for this to happen. 

No matter what, the fact remained. 

Kerbin is dying.

Now, the handful of nations that are left on the planet have all settled on a similar plan: find a new home for Kerbalkind among the stars. 

One of those nations is called the Republic of Mount Helena, and they are determined to make their mark on history once and for all by saving Kerbanity. 

F7KxY3z.png

In order to achieve this goal. the government has formed MHSA, the Mount Helena Space Agency. 

f0mJopH.png

There is just one small problem. Even though Kerbin has had a long bloody history of wars, no one had ever thought about using space to actually orbit anything rather then just a dangerous region for ICBMs to fly through. 

It is truly an unknown frontier... and one that must be conquered sooner, rather then later. 

~MHSA~

These posts will be written from the point of view of "Bruce Kerman", the Chief Engineer at MHSA, whose job is to build (in his opinion) the rediculous designs that MHSA's famed chief Rocket Scientist Wernher von Kerman. He firmly believes that MHSA is going to kill everyone in launching "expensive fireworks" that he feels wont save anyone. Regardless, he does his job at the best of his ability, feeling that even though they will all probably die in the process, the least he can do is make sure that the grim reaper is held at bay for as long as possible. 

MODS USED:

Blue Dog Design
Kerbal Construction Time
TAC Life
Outer Planets Mod
All Near Future mods. 

Edited by JediRangerkendor
Posts combined, added Mod List

49 Days. 49 days since I have sworn that I have started living what must be the biggest case of De Ja Vu ever recorded on Kerbin, not that anyone would listen to me.... They are too busy running around in a panic because the government has finally admitted that the planet is dying, something that we have known for decades. So now, its up to us to find a new home for Kerbalkind, even though we have never done anything like this before. 
All I know, is that this effort will kill more of us then will save... I can feel it in my bones.

Anyways, since I seem to be the only one who can build the crazy designs that they are coming up with, it falls to me to try and save as many lives as possible. Luckily I was able to convince them that maybe the first couple of flights should be unmanned.

The first effort in our suicidal march to space has been named Helena's Dawn, basically a re-purposed ICBM rocket and a whole bunch of uniguided rockets with their explosives ripped out strapped together.

No one was more shocked when it flew up to 20,000 meters, and over 300 miles. Pretty sure that the original ICBM rocket itself flew farther then that, so now I have to figure out why it didn't. I see a lot of sleepless nights ahead.

A/N: De Ja Vu because who of us HASN't restarted a career multiple times?

VPUyhqT.jpg

95uNDTu.jpg

m0D4lHC.jpg

5 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

They are too busy running around in a panic because the government has finally admitted that the planet is dying, something that we have known for decades. So now, its up to us to find a new home

Quite prescient.  Keep this going.  I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Day 101

We have spent a long period of time testing different kinds of equipment. At least it is serving as a good way to see how well certain things can be re-used.

Regardless, we finally launched a rocket into actual space. Kod knows how many were killed when the damn thing came back down to Kerbin.

Anyways, it carried up to space a small probe for some small experiments that the egg heads wanted to do, and it traveled 3/4s of the way around Kerbin before it burned up in the atmosphere.... we are going to have figure out a way to protect future space flights from that brutal heat.

9Jzcu7t.jpg

98yc5w7.jpg

Day 150:
Despite my extreme misgivings, we have managed to launch a small satellite into orbit, called the Gnat Probe. A piece of utterly useless hardware, but the eggheads and the bigwigs in chiefs wanted it done....

vPZS04o.jpg

8LfYXk2.jpg

dDAcbFr.jpg

y7GuYFU.jpg

WpAhpsU.jpg

Updated Day 155:
We did it again. Launched a piece of crap into space for all eternity, for very little gain. Called Gnat 2, the only thing different about this is that we put it into a reverse orbit....
I swear, its almost like they want collisions up there....

hOxVQxM.jpg

hOxVQxM.jpg

JzlX0z2.jpg

98yc5w7.jpg

Day 201:

After realizing that they just don't know how much time we have left, the egg heads convinced the big wigs we need to start running experiments on our own planet.

Luckily, I was able to convince them that rather then waste thousands of funds on launching ballistic missions to the zones they want to check out, why not use a plane a literally drop science probes on the areas?

Maybe these idiots will actually start listening to me more often as a result.

HN0I7XV.jpg

bpa7YJh.jpg

Get the Better Time Warp and AtmosphereAutopilot mods. 
The better time warp allows you to physics warp far beyond an x4 multiplier. The autopilot mods smoothes out the SAS instructions so that your plane does not wobble or flip out at high warp. 

Together, you can fly planes over vast distances without it becoming a very boring task. It is exceptionally useful for exploring a planet by air, before you unlock hypersonic engines. The highest stable warp I manage to get is x6 at low altitudes and x12 at high altitudes... you can make proper use of your plane's range!

Day 225

The world is ending and all they seem to care about is testing equipment that most people agree we will never use. The eggheads insist that it is all part of collecting data so that they can invent more stuff in the future, but come on. A decoupler is a decoupler no how fancy you make it.

Regardless, today we sent our survey plane down south to the pole to investigate rumors that an old research base was still intact down there. Well, at least they sent the plane. That damn Gene wanted to use a rocket to get down there. Luckily he yielded when we pointed out that would mean no way to get back anyone who was sent. 

Am I literally the only one who has any rational thinking on this whole planet?!

7FtSUzX.jpg

UzoyNcY.jpg

• 2 months later...

Day 226

After a thorough inspection, we have concluded that the base will be perfect for monitoring the planet's deteriorating condition. It will take time to bring it back up to operational status though, and lots of return visits. The big wigs also say we need to figure out other bases as well to get a better feel on the timeline of the planet eventual failure to support life as we know it. 

Maybe they will start understanding we cant keep wasting time on needless crap like sats that will ultimately do nothing. 

hz8cIQQ.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.