[1.4.X] Commonwealth Rockets - Tea Powered Spaceflight!

CobaltWolf

• 2 weeks later...

The Multi-Role Kapsule has been added to the development Repo on Github (This is based on the real world concept "BAe Multi Role Capsule" circa 1987, which could have flown in the early nineties). This adds an extra folder in GameData alongside the CommonwealthRockets folder called "MRK". With this folder are the parts to build your very own KAe Multi-role Kapsule! Whilst every effort has been made to make it as true to life as the original concept as possible it should be noted that the masses of the vessel have been roughly calculated to be used all together (I had to reverse engineer the individual item weights from the proposed total masses). As such they may be a a little off from IRL and some items are much heavier than their stock counterpart (I'm looking at you antenna!).

EQGKGn3.png

Also, to increase the 'playability' of the MRK when 'in-filght' there is an additional part which is new and would not have existed as part of the original design. This is the 'MRK-6f Thruster' of which two can be seen below on the Service Module either side of the Solar Panel. In the real application of this capsule, after launch the orginal MRK was designed to be flown backwards once on orbit using the large thrusters around the nose section.  The Multi-Role Kapsule would approach the station and be berthed to a CBM using a manipulator arm, of course this is not doable in KSP without IR or similar. So this small RCS thruster has added for better gameplay, and to allow for docking manoeuvres and driving the MRK onto its target docking port.

1Fdi2TM.png

another artistic license I have taken is to add a RPM camera to the service module for 'Flying It Backwards'. At this point it shoul dbe noted that the IVA relies on @Nertea's Near Future Props and that in turn has a RPM dependency. There are some stock parts t the IVA but it will be very sparse with only them.

And credit goes to @cxg2827 for allowing me to use his CBM docking ports as a basis for the ECBM docking port found on MRK, to get the full benefit I recommend you download his Station Parts Mod as the docking ports there are fully compatible with the MRK:

Belo are some screen shots of the MRK in Game, forgive the liberal use of Stock parts in these screen shots but they are taken from my Dev version of KSP (very little by way of Mods).

Sqj9dV0.pngoOlOg0G.pngOqnt33X.png85h1ZSe.pngUBp2DXx.png

Edited by steedcrugeon
Additional info about capsule

I can't wait to forcefully board these rockets and hurl all the tea into the seas of laythe. Nice work steed.

Glad to see someone using the props pack! Note though that it's not actually dependant on RPM unless you want it to be. 

15 hours ago, Nertea said:

Glad to see someone using the props pack! Note though that it's not actually dependant on RPM unless you want it to be. 

Ah yes I should have made that a bit clearer, the IVA uses quite a few NF prop MFDS and they need RPM to function (Especially for the rearward facing camera I the service module). There are other NF Props in the IVA which do not require RPM.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:39 AM, steedcrugeon said:

The Multi-Role Kapsule has been added to the development Repo on Github

I've been playing around with this pod in one of my dev installs.  The more I play with it, the more I like the design.  And I like that generous flat surface in the IVA for adding buttons and knobs and monitors...

From my perspective (and rather lazy playstyle) , there are a couple of things that would make this pod my go-to choice for orbital applications.  I realize they're ahistorical, but I don't strive for historical accuracy, anyway (I use a Soviet N-11 variant as my primary man-rated launch vehicle :) ).

- It would be cool if the MRK-6f thrusters could have a (monopropellant-fueled) ModuleEngine in addition to the RCS to allow somewhat easier orbital operations.  I don't know if it's possible to put a thrust transform in the same place as the RCS transform - if so, it would allow the same nozzle to act like RCS and engines.

- Even cooler is if there were a slightly larger service module available to extend the endurance of the basic design.  I could use a SM from a different mod, but it'd be nice to keep the design aesthetic consistent between the pod and SM.

Again, these ideas are mainly centered around making things more convenient for my play style, so they may not be something anyone else would use.

11 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I've been playing around with this pod in one of my dev installs.  The more I play with it, the more I like the design.  And I like that generous flat surface in the IVA for adding buttons and knobs and monitors...

- {SNIP} -

- Even cooler is if there were a slightly larger service module available to extend the endurance of the basic design.  I could use a SM from a different mod, but it'd be nice to keep the design aesthetic consistent between the pod and SM.

- {SNIP} -

I'm glad it's to your liking! The IVA was a PIA but from experience with previous IVA's (and partly from the intention of making a Pod that could be flown fully by IVA - still on my 'To Do' list) I did not want to scrimp on the Console space. I still have work to do on it at some point.

It's funny that you should ask about a longer endurance service module as one of the concepts that was discussed about the MRC in it's real world design phase was the possibility of, at a later point in it's product cycle, adding a larger SM which would give the MRC greater payload capacity. With that in mind I propose a trade (after the holiday period).  If you would be so kind as to supply a form of MAS IVA config patch for the MRK I will gladly produce an extra service module and it's accessories.

Adding the the kerbalised Multi-Role Capsule is this addition of the Payload Module, which was considered for later on in the real world version but never got as far as the drawing board. as such the Payload module and it's solar panels are entirely fabricated from scratch.

They will shortly be up on the Github Repo. If you plan to use to them together i advise using the 'mirrored' symmetry option and holding ALT to get them onto their node. The solar panels are deliberately offset to not obstruct the fine maneuvering thruster.

sRzGjtV.png

Edited by steedcrugeon
additional info

On 11/28/2017 at 8:53 PM, Drakenex said:

Dedicated to @Cheesecakeand his keen eye

-snip-

Well, as accurate as it can be, taking into account that only a pencil sketch is available

@Drakenex I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure those fairing textures, I made years ago (I recognize the light gray rectangle above the color change, I added that to imitate Angara). I've lost my hard drive with my old files on it, any chance you could send the textures back to me?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Cdodders said:

Any craft files? Plus only the MRK is shown up as its own manufacturer on the parts manager, I have gone through all parts and made my own sub folder for them but it Im not sure whether or not I missed any

No craft files as yet for the MRK and its derivatives, 1) because I don't know how to do craft files yet, and 2) because the MRK is not completed yet as the Payload Module is still missing it's antenna and the Descent Module may be re-worked shortly.

The different manufacturer is deliberate on my part, that is to differentiate the 'Commonwealth' components (i.e. early game, Ministry funded development parts) with the later 'Commercial' components (bits development in-house by BAe). The rationale will become apparent in the not to o distant future.

On 1/5/2018 at 7:30 AM, steedcrugeon said:

No craft files as yet for the MRK and its derivatives, 1) because I don't know how to do craft files yet, and 2) because the MRK is not completed yet as the Payload Module is still missing it's antenna and the Descent Module may be re-worked shortly.

The different manufacturer is deliberate on my part, that is to differentiate the 'Commonwealth' components (i.e. early game, Ministry funded development parts) with the later 'Commercial' components (bits development in-house by BAe). The rationale will become apparent in the not to o distant future.

I agree the different manufacturers is a nice touch, but my point is that apart from the MRK parts, I had to manually go through all tabs to find each part. They don't show up on the Manufacturer groups selection tabs, or on the main groups selection tabs. I made my own custom sub group tab and trawled through all the stock group tabs to find each part and add it to the sub-group tab.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.