[Wings3D] Trying to make a custom Command Pod

@Sorabh I have built several command pods in the past month and would be glad to help. Problem is, I have no clue what you are asking. At the collapsed point? If something is collapsed I don't see it. Fix a wheel? like a animated landing leg wheel? Or a steering wheel? For the most part you can create what you want and put it where you want. You would create it just as you have that pod, as a separate object.

@Spaceman17 As the @TheRagingIrishman said, I have to work on the textures. Also I think I have messed up the scale of the pod. So I am setting the project aside until I learn how to texture. (It's a Chinese Shenzou by the way. My brother wants to write a KSP fanfic :))

Although I did design another pod (The Indian OV- Orbital Vehicle; only concepts of this spacecraft have been released)

yjL8oNq.png

nzEOVwK.png

Based on this thumbnail:

3Yrkiap.jpg

Now I need to learn texturing, emissives and a bunch of other stuff.

I never tried anything like this before (Zero experience! I started today!) Its just that I can't say no to my brother!

Edited by Sorabh

3 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

@Spaceman17 As the @TheRagingIrishman said, I have to work on the textures. Also I think I have messed up the scale of the pod. So I am setting the project aside until I learn how to texture. (It's a Chinese Shenzou by the way. My brother wants to write a KSP fanfic :))

Although I did design another pod (The Indian OV- Orbital Vehicle; only concepts of this spacecraft have been released)

yjL8oNq.png

nzEOVwK.png

Based on this thumbnail:

3Yrkiap.jpg

Now I need to learn texturing, emissives and a bunch of other stuff.

I never tried anything like this before (Zero experience!) Its just that I can't say no to my brother!

for texturing is make a material that contains an image

emissives is by the material menu

also you should make the service module of the indian pod, and service moduel and orbital module in shenzhou

Edited by Spaceman17

3 hours ago, Sorabh said:

Ah well, I completed the UV mapping... Now to draw the actual textures... Oh my..

6IoUCLA.pngl am not entirely sure its going ok...

7ZOS6mT.png

What do you say @Spaceman17 ?

what i say of what, also how did you do those circles?

i think  this is something that i don't knew how to do, i think that i we can teach in betwen both

i want to make a lot of parts but i need to know more about wings 3d, and is there any earl script to export to .mu? (wings3d uses earl)

3 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

what i say of what, also how did you do those circles?

i think  this is something that i don't knew how to do, i think that i we can teach in betwen both

i want to make a lot of parts but i need to know more about wings 3d, and is there any earl script to export to .mu? (wings3d uses earl)

I was asking of your opinion on the UV map.

Also I am not too happy with the circles.. I think I messed up..

And like I said I am a total noob in 3D modelling..

Hey, you're making lots of progress!   

On your UV map - it looks like you've got something you can work with, which is a great start!   For the best possible results, you want to arrange and size all of those 'UV islands' (the separated chunks of your model) so that they fill as much as possible of the square image.   The reason for this is 'texture density.'   If you scale everything up as large as you can on the image, you've got as many pixels as possible to hold visual information.  If things are scaled down small on the UV map, they will look grainy and 'low resolution' when they get into the game.

We really need to push the blender tutorials a bit more, I think.  Lots of people find that (excellent!) wings 3D tutorial and jump into this with Wings...  and then run into the problem that none of us who are active here to help actually use it.  Most people are working in Blender (as far as free software goes.)  So your Wings specific questions are just going to take more time to get answers, because there are fewer people who know how to help you.

As to the question of export - I don't believe there's a way to go directly from Wings to .mu.   You'll use unity to create your .mu, which is the recommended method even  for people working in blender which DOES  have a direct to .mu plugin available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With wings it's easy to make the 'wheels' you seek.  I've made several of them.  

If you look just behind the cockpit of the aircraft in the screenshot below, there's a hatch wheel.

The easiest way to make the wheel is to make a completely separate object in Wings. First, create a new torus and size it according to what you want.  Then, create a new cylinder for the central hub and place it inside the center of the torus.  Make sure it has the same number of faces as the torus has sections.   

One trick that can help you to make a round spline to connect the hub to the wheel is to learn how to put a circle inside a square.  To do that, select a face on the inside of your torus and do an inset.   It doesn't have to go in very far.  Then click on the lines selector (at the top).  You should now have a red box selected.  Right click and select cut/5 or cut/3   This will cut the lines of that box into 5 or 3 sections each.  Now it should have all those dots selected from the cuts you just made.  Use the line select tool again and it will select the box again.  Finally, right click and 'circularize'  Size your circle.  You just put a circle in a square.  If you do that to a face on your torus and a face on the central hub, you can then select both those circles and 'bridge' them.    

Hint... you can do this to multiple faces at once.

You can even get crazy using the 'deform' and end up with antique looking ones like in the bottom image.  Instead of a torus, for those I started with a wide flat cylinder, did an 'inset' on both the top and bottm faces and then bridged them so it punched the center section out.

Yes, every part you see was made in Wings3D

Et6Z3ch.png

VacnqMZ.png

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.