Vertical snapping (grid-style)

Teekin

I'm in need of vertical snapping when designing spacecrafts. In fact, I'm kind of surprised that I don't really run into many others having a problem with this, but I'm hoping that someone knows of a mod or method to do this.

In the vanilla game, you can snap parts to an imaginary "grid" of a sorts, when aligning them horizontally. I need the same thing, only for in the vertical direction.

I've tried Editor Extensions Redux which has a feature called "vertical snap", but it only seems able to align parts to the exact vertical center of their parent parts. I need much more freedom than that, pretty much like with the horizontal snap, where you can select the "grid" (not sure about the terminology here) being 5 degrees, 15 degrees or whatever.

Does any of this make sense? Anyone have any suggestions?

Use the translation and rotation tools. Toggle between 'local' and 'absolute' with [F]. In 'local' mode you are locked on a grid centred on the part you are moving. In 'absolute' mode you are locked to a grid centred on the root part on all three axis.
What you're looking for is the 'absolute' mode.

Edited by Tex_NL

Thanks a bunch, @Tex_NL!

I still have the problem that placing them doesn't start out snapped, so their starting position is always too fine-grained. This still makes them very difficult to snap so that they are precisely placed against each other, for example on rockets in an asparagus configuration. I had thought of using the 'V' in Editor Extensions Redux to align them perfectly and then snap them to their proper locations, but then that V-button doesn't do anything anymore for whatever reason. Of course, I have no idea why because none of these crazy settings are actually displayed anywhere, so I don't know if I accidentally pressed some key that does something that I don't know how to look up. *sigh*

Well, thanks anyway! I'm sure one day EER will give me another shot some day, and then you're tip will be very handy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.