Aerobraking Challenge

The main goal of this challenge is to try to slow down enough to land as large of a vessel as possible from a vertical trajectory downwards towards Kerbin. 

Steps:

1. Launch/Hyperedit/Alt-F12 your spacecraft into space over Kerbin.

2. Accelerate towards Kerbin.

3. Reenter the atmosphere.

4. Land safely.

Rules:

-No modded parts.

-No mods that change the physics of the game (Ferram Aerospace or similar)

-You must come down perpendicular to the atmosphere.

-The 10m heat shield isn't allowed. (I'm afraid people will exploit it because It doesn't use ablator.)

-The root part must be a manned command capsule.

-The kerbal(s) in the capsule may not be destroyed during re-entry or landing.

-Part clipping is not allowed.

Scoring:

Total Score = [Speed right before hitting atmosphere - (Ablator used * 10) - (Number of SAS modules used * 100) - (Number of Airbrakes used * 300) - (Number of Parachutes used * 70] * (Mass of spaceship / 100) * Fraction of parts remaining 

Leaderboard:

Note: This is my first challenge, so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Edited by Monkey29399

19 minutes ago, Monkey29399 said:

The main goal of this challenge is to try to land as large of a vessel as possible from a vertical trajectory downwards towards Kerbin. 

Steps:

1. Launch/Hyperedit/Alt-F12 your spacecraft into space over Kerbin.

2. Accelerate towards Kerbin.

3. Reenter the atmosphere.

4. Land safely.

Rules:

-No modded parts.

-No mods that change the physics of the game (Ferram Aerospace or similar)

-You must come down perpendicular to the atmosphere.

-The 10m heat shield isn't allowed. (I'm afraid people will exploit it because It doesn't use ablator.)

-The root part must be a manned command capsule.

-The kerbal(s) in the capsule may not be destroyed during re-entry or landing.

-Part clipping is not allowed.

Scoring:

Total Score = [Speed right before hitting atmosphere - (Ablator used * 10) - (Number of SAS modules used * 100) - (Number of Airbrakes used * 300) - (Number of Parachutes used * 70] * Mass of spaceship * Fraction of parts remaining 

Note: This is my first challenge, so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Constructive criticism will be appreciated.

what is part clipping?

also for come towards kerbin perpendiculary to the atmosfere you must burn retrograde first, and then toward kerbin, but in the other i think you are good for make challenges, the next time make something about mun because i will send keople to there

12 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

also for come towards kerbin perpendiculary to the atmosfere you must burn retrograde first, and then toward kerbin, but in the other i think you are good for make challenges, the next time make something about mun because i will send keople to there

Just put your vessel before Physics Unpack. That way, there will be no need for a retro burn as the craft would be stationary.

8 minutes ago, Monkey29399 said:

Erm, I'm not sure how much g-tolerance would affect the challenge. I'd say keep it off for now.

You should probably keep it off, you don't want kerbals dead because you hit the atmosphere too hard, it defeats the whole purpose. 

I might try the challenge myself within the next few days, but I don't have much time to do much 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.