Kerbal-Kon

Gargamel

There's BlizzCon and ComiCon, and a bunch of others, why not a Kerbalkon?  It'd either be insanely boring, or totally awesome.  Not only would Squad hold center stage with product updates, and whatver else they can think of, I can imagine NASA and Boeing and other Aerospace industries bringing their STEM resources to it, as we all know they play KSP.  Having multi player live events, contests, etc.  Of course, the Kosplaying (see what I did there?  Oh right, yeah, that's a joke that's as old as the game itself....) might get a bit.... homogeneous.  There's thousands and thousands of different kerbals, but they're all identical (well in stock.... there was that one Scott Manley skin mod.... *twitch* It still shows up in nightmares every now and then).

Just out of idle curiosity, I'd like to hear what events you guys think we could do. 

*And of course, I know this isn't a real idea, it won't happen, it'd be awesome, maybe, if it did, but we can just accept the fact it won't and skip over the nay saying comments, thanks*

I could see this as being awesome.

Another cool thing would be an area for people to show off their custom controllers, and let us controller-less people try them out.

There have been (discussions of) KerbalCon events in the past. From the searchable archives:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/search/&q=kerbalcon&item=164395&sortby=relevancy

The idea is really cool but I don't know if there is enough momentum to get people together IRL.

Edited by bobcook

The online KerbalCons were a mockery. All it was was a 24 hour marathon of streamers. A lot of oooh's and aaah's about a few new features. Only a very small few streamers had some preparation and actually knew what they were doing. most of them didn't have a clue. If something like that will come again in the future I will NOT be wasting me time on it.

The idea of an IRL KerbalKon is interesting but WHERE will you organize it? Do you REALLY expect people to travel half way across the world to see your ugly phiz. (No offence. I have no idea what you actually look like.)

10 hours ago, regex said:

Eh... I'd rather just go to a gaming con in general. Having one specifically about KSP doesn't sound especially special.

12 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

The idea of an IRL KerbalKon is interesting but WHERE will you organize it? Do you REALLY expect people to travel half way across the world to see your ugly phiz. (No offence. I have no idea what you actually look like.)

I agree with these. I think a Kerbal stand at a gaming con will likely attract more people, both KSP players and potential KSP players.

3 hours ago, monstah said:

I agree with these. I think a Kerbal stand at a gaming con will likely attract more people, both KSP players and potential KSP players.

Doesn't even need to be a gaming con. I took my controller rig to the local mini maker faire the last two years, and met a lot of KSP fans.

5ISbTjD.jpg 

23 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Doesn't even need to be a gaming con. I took my controller rig to the local mini maker faire the last two years, and met a lot of KSP fans.

5ISbTjD.jpg 

Not all of us are as tech savvy. Some of us play KSP on are Commodore 64s so the quality is less than appealing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That said, I tried to arrange one in the past but it sadly had to go without any branding as Squad didn't feel up to offering up their icon (Kerbal) (Before T2) so it was an unnamed convention. However the biggest issue is getting money and rule 2.2i makes that nearly impossible. So it flopped.

Albeit I have thought of meeting up with one of the forums greatest writers since it appears we don't live too far apart but I don't want to be that creepy online guy to ask.

Also Kerbalkons have happened in the past as you can see in the tail end of this video-

11 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'll admit, it would be kind of fun to meet everyone from the forums that I've come to know.

To put faces to the avatars as it were lol.

:)

That's actually my picture in my avatar. 

19 hours ago, Gargamel said:

.  There's thousands and thousands of different kerbals, but they're all identical (well in stock.... there was that one Scott Manley skin mod.... *twitch* It still shows up in nightmares every now and then).

A scott manley skin mod?? I didn't even know you could change the ksp skin... time to go digging!

(I love the kerbal-kon idea as well)

Actually I heard there's a KerbalCon every year, held on the Moon. I know its a bit of a hassle to get there, but c'mon guys. A) you are ALL rocket scientists, and B) you don't even need to go interplanetary and C) your smartphones have more computing power than Apollo. Get to it!

One of the problems with a KerbalKon is that the community is so willing to give away their hard work on mods (both software and hardware designs) for free. Not that that is bad thing, but it would be hard to justify the personal expense of setting up a booth in some distant local just to show off your cool controller knowing you will get little to nothing in return to offset the costs.

16 hours ago, stibbons said:

5ISbTjD.jpg 

It's hard for me to get around much anymore because of my back... but man, if KSP could get a booth at one of the big gaming cons in Tampa or Orlando, I'd go..... especially if I could just sit and play around on a rig like this and show off the game... I'd play all day!!!  :cool:

11 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

One of the problems with a KerbalKon is that the community is so willing to give away their hard work on mods (both software and hardware designs) for free. Not that that is bad thing, but it would be hard to justify the personal expense of setting up a booth in some distant local just to show off your cool controller knowing you will get little to nothing in return to offset the costs.

The point of a con should be to hang out with cool, like minded people, not make money.

21 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

The point of a con should be to hang out with cool, like minded people, not make money.

While I agree this is how it should be, the simple fact is conventions are also to promote someone or something and to make money.

But I've been to a lot of flute festivals (long story) and I've found at festivals and conventions both there's a difference between making money... and making money... so to speak. What I mean is while someone might not make a profit at the actual convention, they might be promoting themselves and generating enough interest to make a profit down the road. For example, look at @stibbons picture again. 

17 hours ago, stibbons said:

5ISbTjD.jpg 

You can't tell me some of those kids aren't going to go home and immediately look up KSP online, and start bugging their parents to buy a copy... if the parents haven't already bought one for themselves!  So even if the convention itself was a loss... the long term gain totally offsets it and makes it all worth the effort.

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.