How to read output_log.txt

Is anyone aware of a tutorial out there anywhere that gives an overview on how to read the crash dump files so that we can figure out what went wrong?

I just installed the latest version of MKS, and my KSP 1.3.0 now crashes on load, every time. It's a major pain to uninstall & reinstall, just to get rid of that one mod (I tend to run a lot of them...)

When I went to verify that it was in fact the latest version of MKS, I realized that it was only up to date for 1.2.2, not 1.3.0. I'm fairly certain that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet (again) and reinstall, but more knowledge is always appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt that such a tutorial exists, because the file doesn't have a strict format, and reading it is less about following tutorial-style instructions than about problem-solving. We can give you some rules of thumb that would help most of the time, but there will always be issues that require additional analysis and thought. I have two pieces of advice:

1. To resolve a crash, look towards the end of the file to see what was happening right before the crash.
  2. Search for "exc" to find exceptions. These are the small crashes of mods that can cause big crashes of the whole game.

But again, there will be plenty of issues that these tips don't solve. This is why it's so important to be careful up front, when installing mods; there's no guarantee that the mess you make will be fixable.

2 hours ago, Nostagar said:

Is anyone aware of a tutorial out there anywhere that gives an overview on how to read the crash dump files so that we can figure out what went wrong?

I just installed the latest version of MKS, and my KSP 1.3.0 now crashes on load, every time. It's a major pain to uninstall & reinstall, just to get rid of that one mod (I tend to run a lot of them...)

When I went to verify that it was in fact the latest version of MKS, I realized that it was only up to date for 1.2.2, not 1.3.0. I'm fairly certain that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet (again) and reinstall, but more knowledge is always appreciated.

Thanks!

I can guarantee you that MKS is updated to 1.3 so you definitely didn't install the latest version/you installed it incorrectly.

When I read through a log file, I look for different things based on what the problem was and how well I know the mod. First thing I always do though is look at the installed mods list that is in every log file and try my best to check that stuff is installed properly and for the correct version (by looking at folder names and the .version file logs). The next steps depend.

Hi in addition to the points made above I'd like to add my two cents. The first log you should really examine is the standard written every time KSP.log which can be found in your KSP root folder.  Also get yourself a decent text editor, notepad++ is used be many, with line numbers search options syntax highlighting etc. This will make the whole process of reading your log a lot clearer.

If your game is locking up crashing on load, especially if you've just installed mods. then there's a good chance the cause of the crash will be among the last items in that same KSP.log.  Using a good text editor you can search for the installed mod, check the paths, check the textures etc. There's a tonne more info in the KSP.log for non dev types than in any of the other logs, output logs and minidumps are the preserve of the devs.

Generally there are very few problems that can't be identified by viewing the KSP.log and as a third party troubleshooting tool, should you not be able to work it out, a zipped copy of your KSP.log will allow experienced mod users or makers to identify your issue fairly quickly

On 8/13/2017 at 9:58 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

I can guarantee you that MKS is updated to 1.3 so you definitely didn't install the latest version/you installed it incorrectly.

When I read through a log file, I look for different things based on what the problem was and how well I know the mod. First thing I always do though is look at the installed mods list that is in every log file and try my best to check that stuff is installed properly and for the correct version (by looking at folder names and the .version file logs). The next steps depend.

https://spacedock.info/mod/162

Game Version: 1.2.2

If it has been updated, then it needs updating on Spacedock...

37 minutes ago, Nostagar said:

https://spacedock.info/mod/162

If it has been updated, then it needs updating on Spacedock...

@RoverDude ^

You can get the latest version from GitHub (http://github.com/umbraspaceindustries/mks/releases/latest)

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.