Automated Drones?

I apologize if this has been suggested already, but things get buried in the forums so finding them would be problematic.

Many times while playing I've wished that all I needed to do to put a probe in orbit it to press the space bar. How cool would that be? 

For example, in the VAB you would have a simple scripting system accessible in your probe core that lets you pre define actions.

Launch: Fire Mainsail. Burn time=Flameout> proceed to next action.

Action Two: Jettison Stage(select parts to define stage). Wait(10 second). Rotate 45' east[or appropriate space terminology]. Fire engine. Burn time = 60 seconds.

etc etc.

Being able to have fully automated probe control would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

I apologize if this has been suggested already, but things get buried in the forums so finding them would be problematic.

Many times while playing I've wished that all I needed to do to put a probe in orbit it to press the space bar. How cool would that be? 

For example, in the VAB you would have a simple scripting system accessible in your probe core that lets you pre define actions.

Launch: Fire Mainsail. Burn time=Flameout> proceed to next action.

Action Two: Jettison Stage(select parts to define stage). Wait(10 second). Rotate 45' east[or appropriate space terminology]. Fire engine. Burn time = 60 seconds.

etc etc.

Being able to have fully automated probe control would be awesome. 

Much of the fun of KSP is piloting the mission yourself, and there is already a mod for this called MechJeb. I do occasionally use MechJeb for particularly boring mission in to Kerbin orbit, but never for challenges or interesting stuff like that. Here is the link. https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mechjeb/files/2425713

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

Much of the fun of KSP is piloting the mission yourself, and there is already a mod for this called MechJeb. I do occasionally use MechJeb for particularly boring mission in to Kerbin orbit, but never for challenges or interesting stuff like that. Here is the link. https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mechjeb/files/2425713

MechJeb does not let you plan an ascent one throttle setting and one degree of heading at a time, though. Actually programming the autopilot yourself is a whole different challenge.

I always hoped Kerbals could learn basic moves themselves. Even if limited to basic milk run type flying.

So two trained kerbals in a space plane between could take-off from runaway match orbit to a spacestation dock and return after a suitable amount of player interaction.  another two with similar training could work on a Minmus refining station getting ore pods off the surface on a regular basis and get them back to drilling points.

So it's not a full auto-pilot but a reason to value trained Kerbals and streamline some of the more repetitive flying. Or miner Engineers could go out and do some of their own exploring. Scientist Kerbals on the look out for stuff of interest to tell you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.