[1.4.x] Kerbal Launch Vehicles

jCoiley

Kerbal Launch Vehicles v1.1.4

Tired of building a shiny new rocket from scratch for every mission?

Ok no, but you'd like your rockets to have a consistent look when they crash into the sea, yeah?

And you'd like to know which of your asparagus-staged monstrosities is capable of lifting your latest space station to orbit, right?

If you said 'I don't know, I guess so?', then Kerbal Launch Vehicles could be just right for you!

qt91GaO.png

With KLV you can design your Launch Vehicles once and reuse them for each new payload, just like real world space agencies. Build your latest satellite, select your favourite lifter from the suggestions list, attach it and launch!

Define the capabilities of your Launch Vehicle and KLV will suggest it as an option if it's a match for your current vessel.

KLV allows you to keep track of all of your rocket families and their various payload capabilities. Finally got a design that can lift 100 tons to Low Kerbin orbit with an unprecedented 20% success rate? Save it for next time! Your current heavy lift rocket not quite up to the task? Create a variation with 8 strap-on boosters to really light up the Space Centre!

Add notes to your rocket to give it some interesting backstory, or to remind you that without careful steering it really loves to backflip.

Using KLV couldn't be simpler! But see the image album below for a usage guide.

Downloads

Available on CKAN or download directly:

For KSP 1.4

For Other KSP Versions

Configs - Sets of basic destinations to get you started, add these to the 'klvconfig.cfg' in your [save]/Subassemblies folder

Usage Guide

Imgur Album

Compatibility

No known incompatibilities at the moment. Currently known to work with RSS and RO.

Known Issues, I'm working on it, promise!

• Launch vehicle staging sometimes doesn't load properly when attaching to payload - this seems to happen when a launch vehicle is saved and then subsequently edited. Unedited vehicles appear to retain their staging

View the development thread. Suggestions and comments welcome (within reason!)

After reading this guide, please report any bugs on the development thread, but please also remember that I need a detailed description of the error and how to reproduce it as well as the full output log from KSP and your save file (if appropriate). If I don't have these, I won't be able to fix it!

Kerbal Launch Vehicles is distributed under the MIT license, details.

Edited by jCoiley
Release 1.1.4

This seems like something I could use.  That said, I have a question: Is this compatible with non-Kerbin System planets?  I only ever play using Galileo's Planet Pack 

For Gael orbit (Gael is the Kerbin-equivalent - same mass, diameter, 70km-and-you're-in-space limit, and so on, but GSC is located below the equator and land masses and such are different), I assume that this will work fine.  However, the rest of the system (call it Ciro System, since that's the name of GPPs sun), including Gael's two moons, are completely different, from names, to orbits, to orbit inclinations, and masses and so on.  There's even a second star, Grannus (a red dwarf, I think), orbiting Ciro WAAAAAYYYY out there.

Anyway, as I said, this mod sounds like something I could really use, since I'm already doing something similar that requires a bit of juggling between the subassemblies, saved craft files, and creating new additions for both.

@MaxxQ yep it should work fine with any planet packs! You define the launch destinations yourself so instead of having a 'Low Kerbin Orbit' you can enter 'Low Gael Orbit' for example.

I decided to leave the destinations completely customisable because I imagine different people will want to use them differently - smaller intervals between near kerbin orbits for example.

However I am planning on creating some default configs for the Stock and RSS systems and GPP could join them too!

Just now, jCoiley said:

@MaxxQ yep it should work fine with any planet packs! You define the launch destinations yourself so instead of having a 'Low Kerbin Orbit' you can enter 'Low Gael Orbit' for example.

I decided to leave the destinations completely customisable because I imagine different people will want to use them differently - smaller intervals between near kerbin orbits for example.

However I am planning on creating some default configs for the Stock and RSS systems and GPP could join them too!

Great.  I might give it a try then.

Destination configs now available for Stock and RSS - these are just basic lists of Destinations that you can add to in your game if you wish.

I'm not familiar enough with other planet packs to make configs for them, but if anyone else does please me know!

19 minutes ago, jCoiley said:

Destination configs now available for Stock and RSS - these are just basic lists of Destinations that you can add to in your game if you wish.

I'm not familiar enough with other planet packs to make configs for them, but if anyone else does please me know!

I'll do them for GPP. Expect a PR in an hour or two.

EDIT: @jCoiley can destinations get a higher ID than 10 or is that capped?

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

2 minutes ago, jCoiley said:

@TheRagingIrishman you should be able to add as many destination as you like, unless I've done something really stupid!

Cool I was just wondering because RSS and Stock configs both only went up to 10. https://github.com/JackCoiley/KerbalLaunchVehicles/pull/2 is up.

• 4 weeks later...

Release 1.1.2:

• Added target destination selector
  • Launch configs shown in info window when getting vehicle suggestions
  • Reorganised vehicle list in suggestions tab
  • Suggested vehicles now grouped by family
  • Suggestions are now correctly filtered by payload mass and target destination
  • Bug fixes

@Cadet_BNSF Latest release for KSP 1.3 will hopefully be available on CKAN soon, but no guarantees!

Edited by jCoiley
Added more dev info

4 hours ago, jCoiley said:

@Stone Blue The 1_1, 1_2, 1_3 reference which version of KSP the download will work for. The 0.1.0 - 1.1.2 are the versions of the mod. 

Version 1.1.2 is the latest release which is available for KSP versions 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.

I'll do some renaming to make it a bit clearer, hope that helps!

Oh... Ok... :

I know spaces & special characters arent good for distribution packages, but once I download a mod, I have <modname> v<version#> (<KSPversion>).... and will add <> at then end, for source .zips i grab... (thats all without the <> carrots)... but it makes nice organized filenames, and I can instantly tell all relative info from the filename.

Yes, I'm a mod hoarder... :P

So I guess I would suggest version number, with a dash or underscore, followed by KSP version...that would list multiple files of your mod nicely...

EDIT: oh nice... I accidentally hit strikethru right before posting, and I ccant turn it off with an edit... Thank you forum software :P

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Fyrem Yep I'm still around!

I've been meaning to update for 1.3.1... and 1.4, but I've been really busy lately - can't say for sure when I'll get a chance, but hopefully soon.

In the meantime, the mod may work on the newer versions of KSP, no promises!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.