[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Supporting older versions of KSP is pretty laboriously intensive for me. I've made a lot of bug fixes since 1.2.2. So no, sorry.

Okay.  From what I gathered, I probably wouldn't want the buggy first version anyway.  Also, apparently you don't have to pay money to update to 1.3, so I'll do that.  Great mod!

@Angel-125, I found a minor glitch.  When you're looking at a ship in space and are checking the condition of its parts with the BARIS window, each part's data is in a box of the window.  Some parts have names so long that they get scroll bars in their boxes.  However, the scroll bars don't work.   You can't move them, so you can't see the last line of text for those parts.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:54 AM, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125, I found a minor glitch.  When you're looking at a ship in space and are checking the condition of its parts with the BARIS window, each part's data is in a box of the window.  Some parts have names so long that they get scroll bars in their boxes.  However, the scroll bars don't work.   You can't move them, so you can't see the last line of text for those parts.

Yeah I noticed that too during my career game. I'll be fixing that in the next update along with some tweaks for hiring workers. Mainly, giving you a max button...

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah I noticed that too during my career game. I'll be fixing that in the next update along with some tweaks for hiring workers. Mainly, giving you a max button...

In addition it would be nice, if there were buttons like set to 25/50/100 or something like that.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Mainly, giving you a max button...

A consummation devoutly to be wished.  THANK YOU!  It takes like 1-2 seconds to add/subtract 1 worker, both in when hiring them at the KSC view and assigning them to a project in the VAB/SPH.  That seems like it takes forever when you have to replace 50 of them who scarpered for no apparent reason, which happens periodically.  Probably because I don't pay them at all, but that's besides the point :) 

@reviest I started using KCT after seeing how nicely it works with this mod. You don't appear to be doing anything wrong. The integration features of BARIS are disabled whenever KCT is installed, since it would be kind of redundant. Just build the vehicle with KCT's system, and BARIS will update the reliability.

@White Owl  The thing is - when launching my craft the BARIS window with potentially breakable parts shows 25 reliability to everything, so failures are inevitable. So I think there is some problem. I'm using a lot of other mods and all of them is up to date, so is there a chance to have a conflict between BARIS and something else? It is a marvellous mod and it would be nice to receive some information about how should i get it's full functional. Thanks!

Edit: I was able to locate the problem, and it was my misunderstanding of reliability and quality parameters. Thanks for the help.

Edited by reviest

I think I've done something wrong: workers are consumed/deleted after I hire them, integration happens instantly, the button to load from the high bay window is non-existant, etc. I think I really screwed something up.

2 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

@awsumindyman please give us your mod list, output_log.txt, KSP version, mod version, and some consise instructions on how to replicate the problem. Also try reinstalling the mod and making sure everything is up to date. 

Sorry, I'll go through my Gamedata first and clean it out of anything that might mess with BARIS, then I'll reinstall, and if push comes to shove, I'll just make a fresh copy of the game from the .zip, than reinstall all of my mods.

love this mod angel!! I haven't got it completely sussed yet but when I do!!

(for some reason I can't fix a rocket broke on the lanuchpad before the towers detached, engineer maybe a noob but no option to repair is coming up)

I love making rockets with 4/8 engines on the 1st stage and stuff, just like the do irl. 

should the mtbf time for my engines be increasing after each launch and recovery?  They have been 18.00 hrs and havent changed after several flights.  Thanks, love the mod!

Edited by gsamelon

Hello @Angel-125, as promised I have begun installing the WBI suite of mods for my next career game! Unfortunately, I have run into a problem.

It is a pretty avoidable problem but I wonder if there are other things going on underneath that might need to be fixed. Here is the issue:

On a completely fresh install of 1.3.1, install BARIS and modulemanager. Then click "New Game," and select difficulty options. Result: NRE log spam.

No apparent spam when attempting to change difficulty options from the KSC screen.

I apologize for the lack of log. My only connection to the internet is on my phone unless I'm at uni right now.

I also apologize if this is a known issue.

49 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Hello @Angel-125, as promised I have begun installing the WBI suite of mods for my next career game! Unfortunately, I have run into a problem.

It is a pretty avoidable problem but I wonder if there are other things going on underneath that might need to be fixed. Here is the issue:

On a completely fresh install of 1.3.1, install BARIS and modulemanager. Then click "New Game," and select difficulty options. Result: NRE log spam.

No apparent spam when attempting to change difficulty options from the KSC screen.

I apologize for the lack of log. My only connection to the internet is on my phone unless I'm at uni right now.

I also apologize if this is a known issue.

Known issue, best to set things in the KSC.

On 1/24/2018 at 11:43 PM, Blasty McBlastblast said:

So this just happened:

RqQnDn0.png?1

By "fortified" does BARIS mean under a slab?

In over 2,000hrs of gameplay this is the first time Jeb has died while safe and sound at home!! 

Hm, shouldn't be doing that...

I find the increased chance of failure at a staging event very satisfying. Possibly the best single feature of the mod.

But the catastrophic failure — where my entire vehicle simply vanishes into an implausibly tiny puff of smoke, no boom, no fireball, no debris, nothing — really isn't very satisfying. Might there be a way to keep the staging failures, but disable the catastrophic failures? I'm thinking that if a central fuel tank detonates, the launch will be very satisfyingly catastrophic anyway.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, theonegalen said:

I don't know if you've maybe already integrated this, but I was just thinking about Gemini 8 and their stuck thruster and it reminded me of this mod. Perhaps it would work as an event card or something.

Well there's already an event card for an Apollo 13 like event, so that sort of counts.

Meanwhile, I'm curing some modding burnout (and loving Mass Effect Andromeda, never played it) and working on a top secret project, but haven't forgotten about BARIS. I have some bug fixes to make, but they shouldn't be too daunting. With KSP 1.4 around the corner, you can expect at least one more BARIS release for 1.3.1. With any luck, the part failure/fix functionality going into the DLC will also be in stock 1.4. If so, then I might be able to leverage the code and make BARIS even better. :)

Edited by Angel-125

I just had a great BARIS moment! :D

A simple commsat launch, using a new upper stage design. The upper stage has a cluster of three hydrolox engines, and is meant to place the payload in the desired orbit, with just enough dV left to deorbit the stage afterward. Simple.

So the launch goes smoothly, all the way to carefully adjusting the final orbit. With the payload activated and happy, I stage once to decouple the upper stage, then RCS backwards and turn a bit as an avoidance maneuver. The upper stage moves about 25 meters away from the commsat... and sudden chaos ensues!

All three hydrolox engines fail at the same instant, in three different ways. Engine one is dead and unresponsive. Engine two just explodes. Engine three is suddenly stuck on at full throttle. The upper stage immediately begins tumbling wildly out of control, spiraling violently around, mere spitting distance from the fragile commsat. I watch helplessly, cackling like a maniac, for the half a minute it takes for the upper stage to pirouette and slalom around the commsat until the fuel is finally exhausted, and it's left drifting away in a more or less harmless direction.

I need to have a word with my engineers about the engines in that upper stage. I foresee some test bench time and further testing in the very near future.

I love this mod!  :D

BARIS 1.4.9 is now available:

- Added 0-workers and max-workers buttons to the Space Center hiring screen and High bay/hangar bay views.
- Adding/removing workers won't happen at a glacial pace any more.
- Maintenance result feedback messages now displayed even when performing maintenance during EVAs.
- Part condition summary info panels in the flight screen can now be scrolled.
- Fixed Intestinal Fortitude event card's tendency to kill astronauts when they should become BadS.
- Fixed situations where event cards would show empty events.
- Fixed incorrect parts mismatch error message that appears when loading a vessel from a High Bay/Hangar Bay when you already have another vessel in the editor.
- Fixed NREs that happen when changing BARIS settings while creating a new game.
- Fixed vessel quality ratings that exceed the maximum allowed quality cap.

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

BARIS 1.4.9 is now available:

Yay!  Lots of good fixes!  Thanks!

BTW, I have a question about how parts acquire flight experiences....  I have DSEV and recently unlocked the Trinity engine, which causes all sorts of rep problems if you run it in the atmosphere of your home planet.  Which basically means, you can't test it, at least not live.  So, if I build a test rig with some other parts in the 1st stage and the Trinity in the 2nd stage, but only run the 1st stage so the Trinity never runs, does that count as a flight for the Trinity?

@Angel-125 Feature Concept: Reuse, Refurbish, Refund, Relaunch.

Basically, a custom integration of the reusability mechanic in KCT. When a craft is recovered, you have the option to reuse it or toss it (This could be tied to facility levels). If you reuse it, you have to wait for the recovered vessel to go through Processing, which restores most of the MBTF and Quality of the parts. After the vehicle has been Processed, it can then be reintegrated at a much lower cost and in less time than a fresh rocket. Over time, the vessel will wear out, with each successive refurbishment restoring less and less MBTF/Quality. Eventually, the vessel will have to be replaced.