[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 7:10 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Question - How exactly does the KCT compatibility work? Does it disable this mod's integration time, KCT's build time, or does it take elements from both?

It disables BARIS integration.

Two quick BARIS questions for anyone who can answer: Is there a way to disable catastrophic failures? Also, I looked through the thread and the wiki, but I can't figure out how to create an MM config to change the repair resource.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:17 PM, dlrk said:

It disables BARIS integration.

Two quick BARIS questions for anyone who can answer: Is there a way to disable catastrophic failures? Also, I looked through the thread and the wiki, but I can't figure out how to create an MM config to change the repair resource.

I don't recall, but you might be able to change that option in the Settings menu (when you hit the escape key, go to settings and find the BARIS tab).

So I had a go at it and, unsurprisingly with this complicated a mod, BARIS is not working in 1.5.1.  The ground crew system doesn't function correctly, not limiting to the number or workers available and not applying their bonuses to integration.  Part failures don't seem to work either.  I launched a craft, without integration, with 4 inline SRB stages and not one failure.

hmm, i've got some questions about the MTBF system, is it always hardlocked to 100 days? Does it mean there is a guaranteed failure every 600 hours? is there any way to increase a parts MTBF (i.e for long duration missions and stuff like deepfreeze cryopods, or are the cryopods excempt from failures?)

When KCT is installed, is the entire integration system disabled and do parts come with high reliability by default?

the MTBF section talks about operation, what exactly is considered operation? Do pods or crew modules "operate" by having crew in them?

Kinda have to know what to expect incase i want to do crewed interplanetary missions or long duration space stations, those are kinda built to last a very long while (similarly for probes like voyager and stuff)

Would probably wanna avoid having DSEVs that break multiple times over a half year voyage and stuff :D

hmm, this makes me wonder if there's a "preventive maintenance" system that makes your engineers keep parts well maintained (perhaps with equipment cost) so they wont break in the first place? (makes sense for stations and DSEVs that are pretty much continuously manned and operating 24/7

My apologies for the wall of questions, but i just gotta know things liken this before i commit to a part failure system, especially in my current hardmode permadeath career with reduced gains and stuff (breaking rockets is expensive!)

BARIS 1.7.0 is now available:

- New setting: Email vessel repair requests - Instead of interrupting your game with a popup containing a list of broken vessels, email you the list instead.
- New setting: Report astronaut skill checks - Turns on/off the screen messages telling you when an astronaut's skill saved the day.
- Added blacklist to resources that can't leak. Ablator, SolidFuel, and SRMFuel are on that list.
- Removed Astronaut On Vacation event card since it kills astronauts. it will be revisited later.
- Reduced explosion potential of parts that explode during launch failures.

It may be because I am using 1.5.1, but for the life of me I cannot get any Flight Experience? I set "Flights per part quality bonus" to 1, Integrated (25) and launched my first vessel. Parts showed 25 in VAB, Integrated (25), but then showed 26 on the Launchpad. Repeated this 20 times, and still only showing 26 (in VAB and FLIGHT).

I also tried a "Static Fire" of the Flea SRB, was unable to get any quality upgrade after an additional 20 "tests". In the docs it says if its "staged right", so maybe there is a trick to building/using a static test platform that I am unaware of. Or this could also be again that I am in 1.5.1.

Also under "Wear & Tear" section, "Email part repair requests" is listed twice, 2nd and 4th Email options. (this is with the 1.7.0 version)

So I had a go with the latest dev release in 1.5.1.  Seems to be working much better now.  Though I get a feeling that the mod stops calculating failures after a while as after I launch the fifth or so non-integrated rocket I can get them to fly without failures until I shut down and restart KSP.

The workers page still causes a bunch of issues.  Currently my save shows 75/25 workers and no cost per 12 days.  The VAB and SPH only allow me to put 25 workers on a job though.

The integration pages within the VAB and SPH are a bit of a crapshoot too.  The buttons don't always work and I frequently have to exit to the main KSC overview and re-hire workers to get them to jump on a project.  The buttons appear misaligned too as I will sometimes click a little low on the min or - buttons and inexplicably hit the cancel integration button and lose several days worth of work.

I'm not sure how helpful a log file would be here as I have 91 mods by AVCs count so likely more than that in reality.  I didn't see any error logs related to BARIS/WBI but I'll drop one on a file sharing site if you are interested.

Is anyone having any issues with BARIS in 1.5.1 where KSP freezes on initial load? Specifically when loading the "massiveBooster" part? (or just after)

@Angel-125 - I'm just looking for more folks who might be having an issue. I have NO issues with just stock+BARIS, but my main game has 85-ish mods, and the freeze only happens with BARIS loaded. I'm still investigating to see what the conflicting mod might be, or if it's just the sheer volume. ModuleManager is, depending on config, doing 13k-15k patches, so this is probably a case where I just need a less-modded instance. If it turns out I find something a little more concrete, I'll report it once I have the info you'd need to do something about it. (or whoever, if it's another mod's problem)

Will update post later today with my log file and Gamedata screenshot - again, not looking for action at this point, because I don't have specifics enough yet to isolate. The log file doesn't show anything really off, it just stops logging on Partmanager load after executing drag cubes on massiveBooster. (one of the Squad parts)

Prior to the last round of adding mods, BARIS 1.6.3 worked fine. This is impacting 1.6.3 and 1.7.0, and like an idiot, I didn't add the mods one at a time, so I'm not sure where the conflict lies. I thought it was with MM 3.1.2, but the minimal install with 3.1.2 and BARIS 1.7.0 or 1.6.3 works fine. >:-(

UPDATED: Ok, so in the "I never would have suspected THAT mod to be the culprit" department, the cause was Better Burn Time, or specifically an issue with it when B9 Part Switcher is also installed. And that's been fixed, so everything magically got better once BBT was updated. BARIS is working fine, and playing merry hell with my kerbals and my launch schedule.

Edited by panarchist
Updated info

20 hours ago, panarchist said:

Is anyone having any issues with BARIS in 1.5.1 where KSP freezes on initial load? Specifically when loading the "massiveBooster" part? (or just after)

@Angel-125 - I'm just looking for more folks who might be having an issue. I have NO issues with just stock+BARIS, but my main game has 85-ish mods, and the freeze only happens with BARIS loaded. I'm still investigating to see what the conflicting mod might be, or if it's just the sheer volume. ModuleManager is, depending on config, doing 13k-15k patches, so this is probably a case where I just need a less-modded instance. If it turns out I find something a little more concrete, I'll report it once I have the info you'd need to do something about it. (or whoever, if it's another mod's problem)

Will update post later today with my log file and Gamedata screenshot - again, not looking for action at this point, because I don't have specifics enough yet to isolate. The log file doesn't show anything really off, it just stops logging on Partmanager load after executing drag cubes on massiveBooster. (one of the Squad parts)

Prior to the last round of adding mods, BARIS 1.6.3 worked fine. This is impacting 1.6.3 and 1.7.0, and like an idiot, I didn't add the mods one at a time, so I'm not sure where the conflict lies. I thought it was with MM 3.1.2, but the minimal install with 3.1.2 and BARIS 1.7.0 or 1.6.3 works fine. >:-(

UPDATED: Ok, so in the "I never would have suspected THAT mod to be the culprit" department, the cause was Better Burn Time, or specifically an issue with it when B9 Part Switcher is also installed. And that's been fixed, so everything magically got better once BBT was updated. BARIS is working fine, and playing merry hell with my kerbals and my launch schedule.

Ok, once you have something more definitive we can take a look. Meanwhile, new event card:

j3tFT5j.png

Also, parachutes can fail to deploy now (and you can turn off that feature).

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, once you have something more definitive we can take a look. Meanwhile, new event card:

j3tFT5j.png

Also, parachutes can fail to deploy now (and you can turn off that feature).

Sweet card! No need to take a look at the issue I reported - it turned out to be another mod. All's good with WBI and BARIS.

What are the current failure modes for staging? I've gotten used to engines that won't turn off, or won't turn on, but will BARIS do staging fails, or early separation? I can't recall having either of those happen yet.

• 3 weeks later...

BARIS 1.8: BOATSLAM is now available:

- Recompiled for KSP 1.6
- The Mk1 LES can now fail.
- Parachutes can now fail to deploy and might be cut loose in the event of a part failure.
- New Event Card: astronauts can now retire.
- Fix: Max quality cap is now enforced properly in the Test Bench.
- Fix: Max quality cap is now enforced during vehicle integration.
- Fix: The cost to improve quality via the Test Bench now reflects parts that have reached their maximum possible quality rating. You won't be charged for parts that have achieved max quality already.
- Other bug fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I repair parts?  I have a plane that I returned to the KSC but I want to repair the fuel leaks.  I drove a truck with the REC equipment container and proceeded to attach the container to the plane.  When I right click the tanks and click repair part nothing happens.  My engineer is level 0 at the moment.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, overkill13 said:

How do I repair parts?  I have a plane that I returned to the KSC but I want to repair the fuel leaks.  I drove a truck with the REC equipment container and proceeded to attach the container to the plane.  When I right click the tanks and click repair part nothing happens.  My engineer is level 0 at the moment.

I'll ask again.  How do I repair parts?  What level of engineer is required to perform the repairs on what parts?  Can USI mechanics repair parts?

@Angel-125 So I just downloaded this and decided to try it out over KCT, which is changing hands, and experiencing growing pains, and it seems I'm having an issue with the workers interface. Just starting out I'm using 50 out of 25 available workers, and if I click the max button it jumps to 75 out of 25 workers. the + and - buttons don't seem to do anything at all. Is this a known bug, or perhaps a known mod conflict? I've tried reading back through the pages here, and I saw overkill13 posted about it above on the 25th on November, and didn't seem to get a response on it. I also see that the mod appears to have updated since then so I'm not sure if the issue was dealt with but then somehow got reintroduced, or if it's just a failure on my end?  

dG5Uy5e.jpg

53 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@Angel-125 So I just downloaded this and decided to try it out over KCT, which is changing hands, and experiencing growing pains, and it seems I'm having an issue with the workers interface. Just starting out I'm using 50 out of 25 available workers, and if I click the max button it jumps to 75 out of 25 workers. the + and - buttons don't seem to do anything at all. Is this a known bug, or perhaps a known mod conflict? I've tried reading back through the pages here, and I saw overkill13 posted about it above on the 25th on November, and didn't seem to get a response on it. I also see that the mod appears to have updated since then so I'm not sure if the issue was dealt with but then somehow got reintroduced, or if it's just a failure on my end?  

dG5Uy5e.jpg

Ah, yes, I just started using BARIS without KCT today, and I was seeing a similar bug. The plus and minus buttons in the VAB and SPH did not work properly.

Edited by theonegalen

2 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Ah, yes, I just started using Barris without KCT today, and I was seeing a similar bug. The plus and minus buttons in the VAB and SPH did not work properly.

okay, so at least I know I'm not the only one that's running into issues. I always feel like a total idiot when I come looking for answers and no one else has the problem, implying I'm doing something wrong or have a unique mod interaction ruining things.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, overkill13 said:

I'll ask again.  How do I repair parts?  What level of engineer is required to perform the repairs on what parts?  Can USI mechanics repair parts?

Right-click the part, hit repair button. Make sure you have Equipment aboard the ship. Min level 1. Recently tested and verified working. No you cannot use USI resources. Also, as BARIS points out when you install it, please consult the KSPedia for how to use the mod. :)

On 1/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, dlrk said:

@Angel-125

Is 1.8 backwards compatible to 1.4.5?

No.

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Sometimes that happens and I haven't figured out why yet.