[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

@Angel-125

I'm loving the mod so far, this is the first part failure mod that I'm actually interested in using in a career game!

Knowing that you have already added soooooo many different tweakable settings would you be willing to add one more? I would really like to be able to have my crewable parts have failures such as leaking life support supplies or RCS tanks, or have their batteries or reaction wheels fail etc. BUT I don't want them to randomly explode when they experience a critical failure like other parts.

Would it be possible to have a toggle that becomes available if we activate failures for crewable parts that allows us to toggle crewable part explosions? If not that's fine, still love the mod, I'll just have to decide which I want, invincible crew pods or crew pods that could decide to explode spectacularly.

Also I noticed in the 1.4.0 change logs that you list a 'Fix for KCT Integration', what was wrong with it before? I ask because I am stuck on KSP v 1.3.0 until some of my other mods have been updated, so I am using BARIS v 1.3.9.3 with KCT, and while I haven't noticed anything that appears outright broken the behavior does seam... odd I guess, for instance everything always ends up with quality at 45/45 no matter what event cards have popped up, and I don't think I have seen quality increase with multiple flights, I have the flight experience set to 4 flights before a quality gain (probably way low but I don't want to turn this into test stand simulator just to get some vehicles Kerbal rated lol) and I haven't seen any evidence of parts getting increased quality even though they have flown at least 6-7 times. I also set the chance for a part that experiences a critical failure to gain quality up to 75% and I have had a number of my SRBs explode on me and have yet to see them gain any quality, they are still 45/45 like every other part.

@Angel-125

First, Awesome mods!  This is another one of my 'must have mods' to play Kerbal with, however I have encountered a weird menu issue on the latest 1.4 version.  Not sure if anyone else has encountered it yet. Actually two issues, but I am unable to recreate the second issue (No time passing for vehicle integration) with a clean install because the first issue (Vehicle Integration Window Disappears).

So I'll just submit the first one until I can properly test and submit the logs and such.

Basically the Vehicle Integration Window goes blank in the VAB.  Here are the steps to recreate the issue.

KSP version = 1.3.1.1891
BARIS Verison = 1.4

1. Fresh install of KSP
2. Fresh install of BARIS
3. Create New Career Mode Game.
4. Change settings to enable BARIS
 - Enable Parts can Break
 - Enable Debug Mode
 - Everything else default
5. Click on the BARIS icon from Space Center
6. Add 25 VAB workers
7. Close "Facilities and Workers"
8. Go into VAB
9. Create a new vessel
 - MK1 Command
 - Attach FLEA to bottom
 - Attach Fleas to surface around other FLEA.
10. Click BARIS icon
11. Click the High Bay 1 "Start Integration" icon to add vessel.
(Vehicle integration window will blank out)
 - You can't modify the number of workers or anything at this point.
 - The only way I have found to get out of this is to trigger the " High Bay Collapse" event to destroy the vehicle and clear the bay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dms9qd6qru4231/BARIS Menu Before.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrjyccwplyyxjo5/BARIS Menu After.JPG?dl=0

In the Console I can also see lots of errors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb0e8ged8quuma0/Console Error.JPG?dl=0

Here is the output.log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtprbyslf9zvfqc/output_log.zip?dl=0

2 hours ago, Shaman said:

@Angel-125

First, Awesome mods!  This is another one of my 'must have mods' to play Kerbal with, however I have encountered a weird menu issue on the latest 1.4 version.  Not sure if anyone else has encountered it yet. Actually two issues, but I am unable to recreate the second issue (No time passing for vehicle integration) with a clean install because the first issue (Vehicle Integration Window Disappears).

So I'll just submit the first one until I can properly test and submit the logs and such.

Basically the Vehicle Integration Window goes blank in the VAB.  Here are the steps to recreate the issue.

/snip

In attempting to assist in finding a solution I can add I'm having the same issue. It seems as long as there are no workers,  I can get the hangar window, but if I add workers the window goes blank save for a little brown square in the upper LT hand corner, and yes lots of console spam, something like "you are pushing more gui clips than you are popping". I got 1.4 to work by adding KCT, but then couldn't get any failures to  happen as others have noted previously.

Very fine mod, really adds depth, so went back to the prior version of BARIS and my back up of KSP 1.3.0.

Thanks for the amazing mod Angel! Really brings a lot to the game, and really what I originally (~3500 hours ago!) thought would already be in it given the trailers from way back when.

21 hours ago, Shaman said:

@Angel-125

KSP version = 1.3.1.1891
BARIS Verison = 1.4

1. Fresh install of KSP
2. Fresh install of BARIS
3. Create New Career Mode Game.
4. Change settings to enable BARIS
 - Enable Parts can Break
 - Enable Debug Mode
 - Everything else default
5. Click on the BARIS icon from Space Center
6. Add 25 VAB workers
7. Close "Facilities and Workers"
8. Go into VAB
9. Create a new vessel
 - MK1 Command
 - Attach FLEA to bottom
 - Attach Fleas to surface around other FLEA.
10. Click BARIS icon
11. Click the High Bay 1 "Start Integration" icon to add vessel.
(Vehicle integration window will blank out)
 - You can't modify the number of workers or anything at this point.
 - The only way I have found to get out of this is to trigger the " High Bay Collapse" event to destroy the vehicle and clear the bay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dms9qd6qru4231/BARIS Menu Before.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrjyccwplyyxjo5/BARIS Menu After.JPG?dl=0

In the Console I can also see lots of errors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb0e8ged8quuma0/Console Error.JPG?dl=0

Here is the output.log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtprbyslf9zvfqc/output_log.zip?dl=0

18 hours ago, OneEyedBob said:

In attempting to assist in finding a solution I can add I'm having the same issue. It seems as long as there are no workers,  I can get the hangar window, but if I add workers the window goes blank save for a little brown square in the upper LT hand corner, and yes lots of console spam, something like "you are pushing more gui clips than you are popping". I got 1.4 to work by adding KCT, but then couldn't get any failures to  happen as others have noted previously.

Very fine mod, really adds depth, so went back to the prior version of BARIS and my back up of KSP 1.3.0.

Thanks for the amazing mod Angel! Really brings a lot to the game, and really what I originally (~3500 hours ago!) thought would already be in it given the trailers from way back when.

Are you using any mods that increase the number of tech levels in the KSC facilities? Did you modify any settings for worker productivity? You're getting a bunch of "division by zero" errors related to worker productivity.

22 hours ago, Micro753 said:

Does vehicle integration work when launching vessels with extraplanetary lauchpads?

Vehicles are considered integrated when built out in the field.

Also, I finally found the crash that happens when you add BARIS to an existing save and switch to an active vessel. Fix in the works. Was affecting my career game too...

BARIS 1.4.5 is now available:

- Flight control state changes ignored when performing an EVA or switching vessels.
- Fixed crash that happened when installing BARIS into an existing save and switching to an active vessel.
- Fixed crash that happened in career mode when trying to integrate vessels in the VAB/SPH.
- Fixed GUI issues in Tracking Station view.
- Max workers per facility is now calculated based on max workers per bay and max number of bays.
- Vehicle integration can now be done independently of launch failures.
- Reduced Test Bench science costs for improving part quality.

First of I must say, I really love this mod! Last time that it worked that is. A few versions ago this really gave my space program that little touch of "realism" I was looking for, but now for 1.3.1 I feel like my rockets arent failing me anymore :(

I've tried it on a new, clean install of 1.3.1 with only BARIS installed on top of it but to no avail. The one thing I can see is the red message:

exception: missingfieldexception: field 'wildblueindustries.barisbridge.msgbodybroken3' not found

being posted in the console a few seconds into every launch. Has anyone else stumbled onto something like this? Maybe someone knows what this error message means?

On 11/1/2017 at 12:20 AM, MrRadGast said:

First of I must say, I really love this mod! Last time that it worked that is. A few versions ago this really gave my space program that little touch of "realism" I was looking for, but now for 1.3.1 I feel like my rockets arent failing me anymore :(

I've tried it on a new, clean install of 1.3.1 with only BARIS installed on top of it but to no avail. The one thing I can see is the red message:

exception: missingfieldexception: field 'wildblueindustries.barisbridge.msgbodybroken3' not found

being posted in the console a few seconds into every launch. Has anyone else stumbled onto something like this? Maybe someone knows what this error message means?

Clean install, no other mods.

I note the issue with the vehicle integration window going blank is now fixed.

I too get the above error message in the console just after launch. On skipping integration, I get the warning message that my rocket will likely explode, but there are no part failures

Hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, OneEyedBob said:

Clean install, no other mods.

I note the issue with the vehicle integration window going blank is now fixed.

I too get the above error message in the console just after launch. On skipping integration, I get the warning message that my rocket will likely explode, but there are no part failures

Hope this helps :)

Not really :P 

Are you saying that you're getting the same error message but that you still have vessels failing at some point? Or that you're getting the same error message and that you aren't getting any failures? Are you getting part failures if you instead go through integration?

I really hope to make this work, the last piece in my puzzle of a super awesome career mode challenge :D 

I'll try to be clearer :)

I have a back up install of 1.3.0 and BARIS 1393 works very well, so I have a feel for how many failures I should be seeing, and there can be many in an early career.

I do not get the error message you mentioned above with KSP 1.3.0 and BARIS 1393 and it works great. Lots of failures on un-researched parts, engineers are useful, and maintenance is required. The weight of the equipment resource makes me revisit old designs, and while I have had zero success with the attempts at remote repair of satellites, the guide does say success is rare.

But enough background:

What I've been doing to test KSP 1.3.1 is start a new career with default options, turn on BARIS at KSC with again default options, take the first 2 contracts, build a 3 piece craft: capsule, flea at 20% thrust, parachute, and Bill or Jeb.

With KSP 1.3.1 and BARIS 1.4.5 I get the same error message as you, whether or not I integrate the vehicle. I also do not see any failures on any parts, ever. With or without research. I had no idea what the issue was until you mentioned the console error message, so I figured I'd check it out, see if I get the same message, and I do. Hopefully Angel can fix it, or help us understand if we made a mistake :)

Edited by OneEyedBob
grammar

9 hours ago, OneEyedBob said:

I'll try to be clearer :)

I have a back up install of 1.3.0 and BARIS 1393 works very well, so I have a feel for how many failures I should be seeing, and there can be many in an early career.

I do not get the error message you mentioned above with KSP 1.3.0 and BARIS 1393 and it works great. Lots of failures on un-researched parts, engineers are useful, and maintenance is required. The weight of the equipment resource makes me revisit old designs, and while I have had zero success with the attempts at remote repair of satellites, the guide does say success is rare.

But enough background:

What I've been doing to test KSP 1.3.1 is start a new career with default options, turn on BARIS at KSC with again default options, take the first 2 contracts, build a 3 piece craft: capsule, flea at 20% thrust, parachute, and Bill or Jeb.

With KSP 1.3.1 and BARIS 1.4.5 I get the same error message as you, whether or not I integrate the vehicle. I also do not see any failures on any parts, ever. With or without research. I had no idea what the issue was until you mentioned the console error message, so I figured I'd check it out, see if I get the same message, and I do. Hopefully Angel can fix it, or help us understand if we made a mistake :)

Ah ok, then we are exactly in the same boat :)

NRE spam in setting mod menu

[EXC 16:43:16.606] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    WildBlueIndustries.BARISSettings.get_PartsCanBreak ()
    WildBlueIndustries.BARISSettingsLaunch.Enabled (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, .GameParameters parameters)
    DifficultyOptionsMenu+<CreateDifficultWindow>c__AnonStorey15F.<>m__25A ()
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    <CreateDifficultWindow>c__AnonStorey15F:<>m__25A()
    DialogGUIBase:Update()
    DialogGUIToggle:Update()
    DialogGUIVerticalLayout:Update()
    DialogGUIScrollList:Update()
    MultiOptionDialog:Update()
    PopupDialog:Update()
[LOG 16:43:22.301] [UIApp] OnDestroy: MessageSystem

7 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Angel-125 I'm trying to recompile it myself for 1.3.0, but MarkdownSeperator.exe is missing. Can you please provide me with a solution?

I don't know where that's coming from. You'll have to make sure that all your references point to a 1.3.0 version of KSP.

https://github.com/Angel-125/BARIS/releases/tag/v1.3.9.3 Is the last version supported in KSP 1.3.0...

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I don't know where that's coming from. You'll have to make sure that all your references point to a 1.3.0 version of KSP.

https://github.com/Angel-125/BARIS/releases/tag/v1.3.9.3 Is the last version supported in KSP 1.3.0...

@Angel-125 yes, I did make sure, it says. "missing xml comment for..."

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

@Angel-125, I'm getting serious disagreement between the times shown in the BARIS integration windows (both main screen and in VAB) and the alarms BARIS creates in KAC.  This did not happen (at least to this extent) prior to updating my game to 1.3.1 and updating BARIS to 1.4.5.  KAC is still the same 3,8,5 it was in 1.3.0 because the consensus is it didn't need updating.

Anyway, both the game itself and KAC are set to display in KSP time.  And the completion times for the KAC alarms are consistent with the time required to integrate similar rockets in 1.3.0, about 20-30 KSP days with 50 workers/bay.  Back in 1.3.0, the times shown in the BARIS integration windows were in general agreement with the KAC alarms, although usually they came up an hour or 2 short.  Now, however, the times shown in the BARIS integration windows are ALMOST, but not quite, like they're on Earth time (24hr days) instead of KSP time.  But it's not that simple, as you can see in the pic.  The BARIS times are not 1/4 of the KAC times.  Also, I can't find a BARIS setting to change it between Earth and KSP times, so I figure it just goes with whatever the game is using.

38205962832_1850573fe8_b.jpg

I'm still having an issue where craft reliability isn't going up during integration. BARIS version 1.4.5, KPS version 1.3.1.

To test: I did a clean install, with Module Manager, BARIS w/ bridge, MOLE, DSEV, Snacks & Pathfinder/Buffalo (all latest versions as of 11/7/17). Started a new career game (setting Parts Can Break to true - no other settings changes) and hired 10 workers. Went into the VAB, created a craft with just the Mk1 Command pod, two Goo canisters, parachute & the Mk 1 Launch Escape System.

Inside the VAB, I clicked the BARIS button, put the craft into bay 1 and added 10 workers. Exited the VAB. Brought up the BARIS tab & clicked Vehicle Integration - shows reliabiliity 5/25 & build time 4 days. I advanced time 4 days & rechecked the BARIS Vehicle Integration tab: still shows reliability 5/25 & 4 days build time.

I went into the VAB, opened the BARIS tab & loaded the craft from there, then launched. At the launch pad I again clicked the BARIS button - shows Reliability 5. 

I repeated the test with only 8 workers, thinking that maybe an integration time other than the minimum 4 days for that craft might work - no joy. Advanced time 5 days, still shows reliability 5/25. 

Rushing integration does work - reliability shot to 25/25, which is also reflected in the in-flight BARIS tab.

As a second test, I uninstalled everything except Module Manager, BARIS & the BARIS bridge. Same results - going through integration via time did not increase reliability. 

I did find this in the log during both runs:

[ERR 22:48:38.008] Error calling custom Enabled method in type WildBlueIndustries.BARISBreakableParts:

[EXC 22:48:38.012] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    WildBlueIndustries.BARISSettings.get_PartsCanBreak ()
    WildBlueIndustries.BARISBreakableParts.Enabled (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, .GameParameters parameters)
    DifficultyOptionsMenu+<CreateDifficultWindow>c__AnonStorey15F.<>m__25A ()
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    <CreateDifficultWindow>c__AnonStorey15F:<>m__25A()
    DialogGUIToggle:Update()
    DialogGUIScrollList:Update()
    MultiOptionDialog:Update()
    PopupDialog:SpawnPopupDialog(MultiOptionDialog, Boolean, UISkinDef, Boolean, String)
    PopupDialog:SpawnPopupDialog(Vector2, Vector2, MultiOptionDialog, Boolean, UISkinDef, Boolean, String)
    DifficultyOptionsMenu:CreateDifficultWindow()
    DifficultyOptionsMenu:Create(Modes, GameParameters, Boolean, Callback`1)
    MainMenu:OpenDifficultyOptions()
    MainMenu:<CreateNewGameDialog>m__269()
    DialogGUIButton:OptionSelected()
    DialogGUIButton:<Create>m__6FD()
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Edited by Bombaatu

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

I'm still having an issue where craft reliability isn't going up during integration. BARIS version 1.4.5, KPS version 1.3.1.

To test: I did a clean install, with Module Manager, BARIS w/ bridge, MOLE, DSEV, Snacks & Pathfinder/Buffalo (all latest versions as of 11/7/17). Started a new career game (setting Parts Can Break to true - no other settings changes) and hired 10 workers. Went into the VAB, created a craft with just the Mk1 Command pod, two Goo canisters, parachute & the Mk 1 Launch Escape System.

Inside the VAB, I clicked the BARIS button, put the craft into bay 1 and added 10 workers. Exited the VAB. Brought up the BARIS tab & clicked Vehicle Integration - shows reliabiliity 5/25 & build time 4 days. I advanced time 4 days & rechecked the BARIS Vehicle Integration tab: still shows reliability 5/25 & 4 days build time.

I went into the VAB, opened the BARIS tab & loaded the craft from there, then launched. At the launch pad I again clicked the BARIS button - shows Reliability 5. 

I repeated the test with only 8 workers, thinking that maybe an integration time other than the minimum 4 days for that craft might work - no joy. Advanced time 5 days, still shows reliability 5/25. 

Rushing integration does work - reliability shot to 25/25, which is also reflected in the in-flight BARIS tab.

As a second test, I uninstalled everything except Module Manager, BARIS & the BARIS bridge. Same results - going through integration via time did not increase reliability. 

I did find this in the log during both runs:

I’ll take a look, thanks for the info. Some of the issues I haven’t been able to reproduce.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:40 AM, Geschosskopf said:

Anyway, both the game itself and KAC are set to display in KSP time.  And the completion times for the KAC alarms are consistent with the time required to integrate similar rockets in 1.3.0, about 20-30 KSP days with 50 workers/bay.  Back in 1.3.0, the times shown in the BARIS integration windows were in general agreement with the KAC alarms, although usually they came up an hour or 2 short.  Now, however, the times shown in the BARIS integration windows are ALMOST, but not quite, like they're on Earth time (24hr days) instead of KSP time.  But it's not that simple, as you can see in the pic.  The BARIS times are not 1/4 of the KAC times.  Also, I can't find a BARIS setting to change it between Earth and KSP times, so I figure it just goes with whatever the game is using.

@Angel-125:  The abvoe gets even stranger.  The integration times shown in KAC are about what they've always been and the times shown in BARIS are way shorter.  But here's the thing:  the rockets actually complete integration in the times shown by BARIS.  IOW, integration times between 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 seem to have been sped up by a factor of somewhere between 3 and 5, and that's what BARIS is doing.  But KAC doesn't seem to have gotten the word so is still creating completion alarms based on the old, lower integration speed.

40 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125:  The abvoe gets even stranger.  The integration times shown in KAC are about what they've always been and the times shown in BARIS are way shorter.  But here's the thing:  the rockets actually complete integration in the times shown by BARIS.  IOW, integration times between 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 seem to have been sped up by a factor of somewhere between 3 and 5, and that's what BARIS is doing.  But KAC doesn't seem to have gotten the word so is still creating completion alarms based on the old, lower integration speed.

Ok, that's good to know. I am hip deep in DSEV at the moment but can look at the KAC alarms next week when I have more time.