[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

BARIS 1.4.7 is now available:

KAC Vehicle Integration
- Vessel integration timer now relies on the KAC alarm, significantly improving accuracy.
- Vessel integration timer now accurately reflects delays due to work stoppage events.
- If you delete your integration alarm before vehicle integration is completed, then the corresponding VAB/SPH bay will be cleared as well and its integration efforts lost.
- The High Bay/Hangar Bay Load button won't be available until vehicle integration has completed.
- The High Bay/Hangar Bay vessel integration shows the final reliability after vehicle integration.
NOTE: These improvements only apply to new vessel integration, not existing projects.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed missing user message during launch failures.

Spent the past couple of days working through the beginning of a new career save, with BARIS at mostly default settings. I'm really enjoying it so far! This is the first time in my KSP experience that I've ever had a legitimate need for crew escape systems. First time ever I've had to repair the launchpad and runway after an accident. Lots of fun.

What would it take to make SSTU fuel tanks work with BARIS? Right now there doesn't appear to be any chance of an SSTU tank failing. I looked at that github pull request and put together this MM patch:

@PART[SSTUModularFuelTank]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleBreakableFuelTank]]:FOR[BARIS]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleBreakableFuelTank
	}
}

But BARIS still doesn't seem to be aware of the tanks.

Got it figured out!

Spoiler

//SSTU BARIS integration

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-A]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-D]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-L]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-LV]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-R]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MFT-S]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MUS]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

Instead of attempting a single MM patch for all SSTU tanks, I just made several much simpler patches. I haven't seen a failure in flight yet, but the tanks show up as breakable in BARIS' GUI.

edit: I can now personally confirm that the above MM patch will cause SSTU fuel tanks to catastrophically fail in a very satisfying fashion.  :D

Edited by White Owl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused about the install process.  I downloaded BARIS-master.zip and if I understand correctly, I'm supposed to ignore every folder there except the ones that are under gamedata? 

That's what I did at first, unzipped everything below gamedata into my gamedata folder and when I loaded up KSP I fail to see any BARIS icon in the button toolbar.

16 minutes ago, Fergrim said:

I'm confused about the install process.  I downloaded BARIS-master.zip and if I understand correctly, I'm supposed to ignore every folder there except the ones that are under gamedata? 

That's what I did at first, unzipped everything below gamedata into my gamedata folder and when I loaded up KSP I fail to see any BARIS icon in the button toolbar.

It may not solve your problem, but use this download instead (It's the actual release).

5 hours ago, dlrk said:

Is there a smaller component storage part, or any got an MM for one?

Is the smallest Buckboard part (the size of the default KIS box) too big? Or are you unaware of the Buckboards? They should also hold Equipment.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:16 AM, Angel-125 said:

Equipment is the official repair resource for BARIS, but if you want to use a different resource, such as RocketParts, you can edit MM_BARIS.cfg to add the desired resource to the entries that add ModuleQualityControl. Consult the wiki entry for ModuleQualityControl to find what field you need.

For MKS integration, I'd suggest either SpecializedParts or MaterialKits, or maybe the next tier which is Machinery (constructed from SP+MK).  Mmm, probably MaterialKits would be best.  They're approximately the same unit cost as Equipment (2.0 for MK, 1.5 for EQ), and roughly the same density (0.001 for MK, 0.0025 for EQ).

So cost per mass unit is:

EQ = 1/0.0025 * 1.5 = 600

MK = 1/0.001 * 2.0 = 2000

Might have to adjust both maintenanceMassPercent and repairMassPercent by a factor of about 3 in order to use Material Kits and have the same approximate costs.  Although, I'm not sure that's necessary as with MKS, you often have material kits laying around and most repairs are measured in 10s of units of EQ, not 1000s of units.

The provided tanks could either be turned off when MKS is present, or swapped to hold MaterialKits.  The question is whether we should match up on a mass basis or a volume basis.  Probably a mass basis, so any container that holds Equipment should instead hold MaterialKits, just multiply the amount/maxAmount values by 2.5 to keep things simple.

Notes:

• I don't see a way to change the default "maintenanceResource" in Constants.cfg.  Assuming that Constants.cfg could be affected by ModuleManager, a USI compatibility patch could could change a value there instead of needing to specify it multiple times in MM_BARIS.cfg.
  • It should be possible to use MM to swap Equipment storage for MaterialKits storage for any part that has it, including changing the quantities.

I had an event card that said one of my astronauts had gone AWOL and was kicked back at "Malcolypse Resort" or some such.  Shortly thereafter, he turned up KIA (not MIA) on the roster.  Is this the usual result and expected result of a vacation, or was he supposed to have come back eventually?

So now I'm wondering what happened to him.  Alcohol poisoning, a terminal case of the clap, eaten by a shark, kidnapped by blackimarket organ procurers, or shot by police while resisting arrest for public nudity, etc.  It would be nice to know.  I have various forms to fill out now :)

13 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I had an event card that said one of my astronauts had gone AWOL and was kicked back at "Malcolypse Resort" or some such.  Shortly thereafter, he turned up KIA (not MIA) on the roster.  Is this the usual result and expected result of a vacation, or was he supposed to have come back eventually?

So now I'm wondering what happened to him.  Alcohol poisoning, a terminal case of the clap, eaten by a shark, kidnapped by blackimarket organ procurers, or shot by police while resisting arrest for public nudity, etc.  It would be nice to know.  I have various forms to fill out now :)

I think the astronaut was supposed to return, but I haven't look at that code in awhile.

Regarding what happened to him, I believe it's "all of the above." :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 7:10 PM, WuphonsReach said:

For MKS integration, I'd suggest either SpecializedParts or MaterialKits, or maybe the next tier which is Machinery (constructed from SP+MK).  Mmm, probably MaterialKits would be best.  They're approximately the same unit cost as Equipment (2.0 for MK, 1.5 for EQ), and roughly the same density (0.001 for MK, 0.0025 for EQ).

So cost per mass unit is:

EQ = 1/0.0025 * 1.5 = 600

MK = 1/0.001 * 2.0 = 2000

Might have to adjust both maintenanceMassPercent and repairMassPercent by a factor of about 3 in order to use Material Kits and have the same approximate costs.  Although, I'm not sure that's necessary as with MKS, you often have material kits laying around and most repairs are measured in 10s of units of EQ, not 1000s of units.

The provided tanks could either be turned off when MKS is present, or swapped to hold MaterialKits.  The question is whether we should match up on a mass basis or a volume basis.  Probably a mass basis, so any container that holds Equipment should instead hold MaterialKits, just multiply the amount/maxAmount values by 2.5 to keep things simple.

Notes:

• I don't see a way to change the default "maintenanceResource" in Constants.cfg.  Assuming that Constants.cfg could be affected by ModuleManager, a USI compatibility patch could could change a value there instead of needing to specify it multiple times in MM_BARIS.cfg.
  • It should be possible to use MM to swap Equipment storage for MaterialKits storage for any part that has it, including changing the quantities.

You could just rename Equipment to Repair Parts, i dont see a problem with it being a different resource.

Hmm, are leaks on unloaded crafts supposed to magically stop and not proceed? Case: got a craft on orbit, fuel tank got a leak, returned to space center, warped forward for an hour, returned to craft, tank's still leaking with the same amount of fuel as before warp. Is this a feature or a bug?

Just now, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@DAL59 The archived 1.3 versions with a plugin compiled for 1.2.2 have been deleted, but you could probably try recompiling it for 1.2.2 (though it would be very hard- believe me, I tried)

Why?  Can you please repost them, @Angel-125?