[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

Locking the thread, per request from the author.

To @Angel-125:

Our apologies it took us a while to get to your "please lock thread" request; we weren't aware of it until just now.

I'm sorry to hear you've had an un-fun experience.  If you ever reconsider and wish to continue, just let us know and we're happy to unlock your thread for you.

(For future reference, if you ever need moderator assistance with anything, please file a report, since that gets our attention; simply saying "Moderators, please <do thing>" in a thread somewhere won't come to our attention unless someone points us at it.  There just aren't enough of us to read every single message that gets posted in the forums.)

I've never had occasion to use your mod myself, but from the length of the thread you've got here, I can see it's generated a passionate following; clearly your hard work has made a contribution to the modding community, and speaking as one modder to another, thank you for that.

Ok, giving this another try. However...

1v9rc5.jpg

Latest release is 1.3.7:

• Fixed issue where parts on an unloaded vessel weren't being correctly declared fixed during a Tiger Team repair.
  • Tiger Team repairs will optionally drop you out of timewarp once the research attempt is completed. See the Constants file to set the option.
  • Fixed Tiger Team wording that appears upon a failed attempt.
  • Tiger Team repairs now ensure that the repaired quality doesn't exceed the max quality.
  • Slight increase to the base chance of a Tiger Team repair attempt to balance fun and frustration factor.
  • Focus Vessel view no longer appears to report broken vessels that are in physics range.
  • Added broken vessel screen messages for any vessel in physics range that isn't the active vessel and that develops a problem.
  • Tracking Station view now displays vehicle healths based upon the enabled filter buttons.

• When vessels break, you can now go to the Tracking Station and assemble a Tiger Team on the ground to try to resolve the problem. Think of the brilliant engineers who came up with a plan to save Apollo 13. It will cost Funds, Science, and time. You also need a working CommNet connection to the vessel (if CommNet is enabled). There is no guarantee of success. In fact, the odds of success are pretty low. If successful, your Tiger Team will fix the striken vessel without the need for an onboard mechanic or the need for Equipment. If unsuccessful, you can assemble another Tiger Team and try to come up with a fresh perspective. Look to the TigerTeam values in the Constants.cfg file to make the odds forever in your favor..

BARISGUIControls3.png

Edited by Angel-125

@Angel-125 Thank you for having the thread reopened. 

I did do some more testing between my last post here and when the thread was closed. Would you like to hear the results? I entirely understand if you've heard enough from me by now, but I would still like to be helpful* if possible. 

(PS. *Admittedly this is in contradiction to my previous remarks, but I'm not above eating my words if circumstances change.)

Edited by Hotaru

35 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

@Angel-125 Thank you for having the thread reopened. 

I did do some more testing between my last post here and when the thread was closed. Would you like to hear the results? I entirely understand if you've heard enough from me by now, but I would still like to be helpful* if possible. 

(PS. *Admittedly this is in contradiction to my previous remarks, but I'm not above eating my words if circumstances change.)

Thanks for the feedback, but at this point in time, I want to let the dust settle and give people time to use the numerous configuration options before making further changes.

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the feedback, but at this point in time, I want to let the dust settle and give people time to use the numerous configuration options before making further changes.

Fair enough. You will not hear from me again. 

@Angel-125  Thanks for reopening.  Also, thank you for updating your OP with the nice big friendly link to the manual.  Looks like I have some reading to do as there are now Tigers? - guessing that they aren't what I'm thinking of....  Upon reading a couple lines in the wiki and OP... Yeah not the tigers I was thinking of...

I finally have a nice clean 1.3 up and running.  Going to drop this in with MOLE and DSEV..... ah I probably won't have it very clean after all, my essentials list is like 60 mods. :wink:

10 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Angel-125  Thanks for reopening.  Also, thank you for updating your OP with the nice big friendly link to the manual.  Looks like I have some reading to do as there are now Tigers? - guessing that they aren't what I'm thinking of....  Upon reading a couple lines in the wiki and OP... Yeah not the tigers I was thinking of...

I finally have a nice clean 1.3 up and running.  Going to drop this in with MOLE and DSEV..... ah I probably won't have it very clean after all, my essentials list is like 60 mods. :wink:

Tiger Team: Group of engineers, technicians and scientists and one janitor. Assembled when Something Goes Wrong. The engineers analyse the problem and come up with solutions , the technicians work out how to apply the fixes and the scientists make the coffee*  and organise the donuts. The janitor sweeps up the donut crumbs and is the supply of common sense. They are issued black and orange striped overalls to override issues of seniority and jurisdiction.

*This involves bleeding super-heated steam out of the secondary coolant loop into a pressure vessel. when this reaches correct pressure it ruptures the burst disk firing the steam through a titanium/platinum basket of well tamped grounds and out of the group head. The resultant brew is not radioactive.

Honest.

Edited by Sudragon

22 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

Tiger Team: Group of engineers, technicians and scientists and one janitor. Assembled when Something Goes Wrong. The engineers analyse the problem and come up with solutions , the technicians work out how to apply the fixes and the scientists make the coffee using the space centers reactor and organise the donuts. The janitor sweeps up the donut crumbs and is the supply of common sense. They are issued black and orange striped overalls to override issues of seniority and jurisdiction.

Haha. Yeah I did a google search after taking a look through Angel's wiki.  Seems legit.

Don't forget the carpenter whom takes the safety key and a hostage enginerd down range so the carpenter can wedge the 2x4 with the igniter into the engine bell - before something goes wrong.

I gave it a try last night, and I liked it! I have some observations (not things I want different, just some things I found nice and some things I didn't quite get right the first time), but I gotta get home because I can't remember stuff right now. Off the top of my head, I remember I caught a "relaibility" typo in one of the KSPedia pages, but since I can't remember which that doesn't sound like helpful input :sticktongue:

In any case, I started a new career save, but unlocked the entire techtree from the get-go (since parts are liable to blow up, anyway). I think this mod might work very well with mods that put unmanned first: before unlocking the techtree, I looked at that lonely pod and flea and thought HELL, no.

I was trying to set BARIS on my DarkMultiplayer server where I would like to play with my friend, but it seems that DMP server is unable to read any other difficulty settings than those from stock. While it isn't a big issue with other mods, for BARIS it means that it is constantly turned off.

Is there any way to change default "off" setting of BARIS to default "on" using file tweaking? Or any other way to work around this?

3 hours ago, Lewar said:

I was trying to set BARIS on my DarkMultiplayer server where I would like to play with my friend, but it seems that DMP server is unable to read any other difficulty settings than those from stock. While it isn't a big issue with other mods, for BARIS it means that it is constantly turned off.

Is there any way to change default "off" setting of BARIS to default "on" using file tweaking? Or any other way to work around this?

Only thing I can think of is to edit your save file and manually set partsCanFail to true.

I think a lot of people have been really hoping for a parts failure mod with the great features that Angel-125 has built in BARIS.  Many of us probably have a vision of how OUR ultimate parts failure mod would work.  I think that Angel's vision for how BARIS is supposed to work is just different than what some people had been searching for.  Nothing wrong with that.  A bunch of folks saw the amazing list of features and piled in here with different expectations for the mod than what Angel is building.

Many of us were just looking for an improved and more feature-rich version of dang-it or kerbal launch failure but from what I've seen this is not what this mod is.  BARIS is much more involved ... much more (forgive the term) invasive to our normal play styles.  To use BARIS you have to make big changes to how you play a career in KSP.  It's more than just designing redundancy in your crafts.  I think people should have made a better effort to understand that and it also (in hindsight) could have been emphasized more when introducing the mod.

I've not had time to play with the latest builds and the config files that have been added.  It may very well be that there are enough options in there to create a config for this mod (a lite version, if you will) for people who just wanted to add a little danger without the shift in how you have to proceed through a career.  If we want to use a mod in a way that is different than the author's vision then it's on us to play around with the provided config options and explore if it's possible.  I don't think there's anything wrong with politely requesting additional configuration options and I think Angel's responded very well to that.  The rest is up to the users to really dive in to those provided options and see if we can make the mod do what we want, or explore the author's vision of the mod to see if we would like that better.  If we can't quite adapt the mod to our purpose, and it's a matter of a just providing a small config option then I think that's a good request ... it expands the usefulness of the mod and might be something Angel hadn't thought a user would want to change.  But we should be careful about asking to fundamentally change the way the mod works without understanding what the author was trying to create.

I'm as guilty as anyone with my initial expectations.  I just didn't understand the full scope of the mod.  I think I have a better idea now after closely following this thread.

@Angel-125, I hope maybe you'll be able to see that many of us just didn't understand the intent of the mod and our feedback was meant to be helpful as many of use are super excited about this mod.  I can see how getting a ton of excited feedback trying to push the mod away from your initial intent would be very frustrating and I apologize if I contributed to that frustration.  You're doing really great stuff here.  Your mods are absolutely essential to my KSP games.  Really amazing work.  I can't thank you enough for providing them to us.  I wish you the best of luck in getting BARIS tweaked to be exactly what YOU want it to be.

Honestly, I'm guilty of my expectations too, but the other way around:

I started a new career for it, and I figured I'd have to put rockets on the stand at least a few times to see them explode, just so I could send the first thing up at all (or, at the very least, shoot a couple fireworks before actually shooting rockets), and to my surprise the first couple tries did actually go up! I had failures, sure (the probe core shut itself off just after the fuel ran out, another flight had the engine explode as I expected, tho quite into the flight and not at lift-off as I thought it would). But, all in all, things were more reliable than I expected on my first try.

Granted, I've only played for like, half an hour with this, last night, but I'm still experimenting to discover how gameplay goes.

May be a slight violation of

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

1v9rc5.jpg

But

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

When vessels break, you can now go to the Tracking Station and assemble a Tiger Team on the ground to try to resolve the problem. Think of the brilliant engineers who came up with a plan to save Apollo 13. It will cost Funds, Science, and time. You also need a working CommNet connection to the vessel (if CommNet is enabled). There is no guarantee of success. In fact, the odds of success are pretty low. If successful, your Tiger Team will fix the striken vessel without the need for an onboard mechanic or the need for Equipment.

reminds me of Hayabusa probe and ground crew that managed finding a way to make a working ion engine from two broken ones on a probe flying Kraken knows where that was not designed to repair itself.

THIS FEATURE IS A-W-E-S-O-M-E! (maybe lacks a 50% chance of insta-kill instead of repair for true Kerbal experience but even Jeb doesn't seem to complain about that).

8 minutes ago, Pand5461 said:

(maybe lacks a 50% chance of insta-kill instead of repair for true Kerbal experience but even Jeb doesn't seem to complain about that)

Hahaha that's realism within a game with little green men :D 

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Only thing I can think of is to edit your save file and manually set partsCanFail to true.

Yeah, but unfortunatelly DMP handles universe without saves, so that is not going to work - save is going to get truncated to false value. Thanks for the reply anyway!

On 8/15/2017 at 7:52 PM, Angel-125 said:

RTFM!

I think you meant ROTFLMAO!  :D  Seriously, this is hilarious.  I checked the "parts can explode" box and even leaving that at 1%, something seems to have blown up every launch so far.  I LOVE IT!!!  I managed to kill Jeb on my very 1st crewed launch when his Mk 1 pod exploded while floating down beneath his parachutes :sticktongue:  Definitely Kerbal rockets are made of explodium.

4 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I think you meant ROTFLMAO!  :D  Seriously, this is hilarious.  I checked the "parts can explode" box and even leaving that at 1%, something seems to have blown up every launch so far.  I LOVE IT!!!  I managed to kill Jeb on my very 1st crewed launch when his Mk 1 pod exploded while floating down beneath his parachutes :sticktongue:  Definitely Kerbal rockets are made of explodium.

Glad you're having fun. And good to see you back! :)