[1.12.2] BARIS - Building A Rocket Isn't Simple

Angelo Kerman

Hmm, btw I don't have a yellow "Load" button inside the vehicle integration GUI ...

Spoiler

0vARVda.png

I started a brand new career ...

Did I miss something? Is the wiki / KSPedia entry not up-to-date?
Oh wait, just this moment I found something in the log:

DivideByZeroException: Division by zero
  at WildBlueIndustries.BARISLaunchButtonManager.onEditorShipModified (.ShipConstruct ship) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8mf2xdox54xo4v/2018-03-23_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

@Gordon Dry Your career game may has just become a test install. Try removing Kerbalism and see if the problem goes away. Any time you know you're not sure that two particular mods will coexist peacefully, it's your responsibility to troubleshoot your install after an error happens, avoid/sacrifice mods beforehand for stable gameplay, or create a new install just for testing the potentially unfriendly mods.

I say this because your install is massively modded. This does not help the affected modder or yourself to diagnose a problem.

I have the clue that perhaps the USI Sounding Rockets themselves are the culprit, because they are "self-detaching" or however this is called is KSP-speech...

The stages disembark without the need of a decoupler or manually staging.

I have to test with a "normal" rocket.

So, I'm having a few problems in 1.4.1 (both with mh or without): first, I can assign more people to an integration than I actually have, see https://imgur.com/a/C7bw3, KSP.log. Also I've found the +/- staff buttons not very responsive.

Add KSP Alarm Clock, and things start completely breaking down - the "-" button just apparently clears out the bay, I get the "50 people working while I have 25 total" (volunteers?) thing again, but this time integration of a basic craft takes 40 days (as per the other image in that imgur album above). See KSP.log, in particular exception at line 4114.

Edit: 1.4.1, not just 1.4, ugh.

Edited by ModZero

Just FYI, I discovered that if you use quotation marks in your names (like I do constantly) the integration doesn't work at all. It throws an error about invalid file names. If you use apostrophes instead, it seems to work properly.

Also, is it normal that I have a critical launch failure every launch? I have completed integration, but I have usually at least a tank failure if not a complete rocket shutdown every single launch. I know I'm really early in my career, but RL couldn't be THAT bad.

OK, this is getting ridiculous. I've set the difficulty to easy, I've fully integrated my ships to a max of 25 reliability, SOMETHING fails EVERY launch. This is not at all fun. I was hoping this would be something like a more involved version of DangIt, but it's just being frustrating. I don't want to eliminate launch failures because that's pretty much the whole point of this mod, but what on earth can I do to make my rockets generally more reliable?

Edited by captainradish

• 4 weeks later...

so I recently started using this. I installed it mid career. I toned it down to very easy and disabled integration as the experience I am gunning for is failures being less common, but possible in a way that can spice a mission up. so a few questions I had was on any advice on tuning my settings and questions on how this may work with building colonies with USI mods, any advice on preparing for failures. Also lastly I wanted to ask how hard it would be to add a small amount of spare parts to pods?

17 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Can anybody explain why MTBF and reliability never decrease, and hence nothing but events occur, no matter what settings I choose? Playing with a few mods that shouldn't affect BARIS, but it doesn't seem to work on stock KSP either.

I've had tanks explode on me.

BARIS 1.6 is now available:

- You can now mothball vessels that are landed or splashed. Mothballing a vessel means that it'll be drained of all resources (and will dump any resources transfered to it) and all its breakable part modules will disable functionality as if broken. However, the vessel will retain its quality and MTBF ratings, and it won't be checked for quality updates. When you mothball a vessel, it can be reactivated, but it takes one day per metric ton of vessel. A highly skilled kerbal with the RepairSkill can reactivate a mothballed vessel immediately. You can mothball a vessel from BARIS's in-flight screen.
- Fixed thumbnail images not showing up in the editor.
- Renamed file snapshots so that the save folder doesn't get clogged with vessel snapshots.
- Made sure that the vessel snapshots are cleared when the editor bay is cleared.
- Fixed issues with Rush job when Kerbal Alarm Clock is installed.
- Fixed divide by zero error when adding a new vessel to integrate into an editor bay, and the bay has no workers.
- Fixed issue with the problem report GUI where it kept showing up repeatedly even after dismissing it.
- Fixed initial quality issue when vehicle required integration but launch failures aren't enabled.
- Improved GUI rendering in the Tracking Station view.
- Reduced funding and science costs of tiger teams attempting to repair a vessel in flight from the Tracking Station.
- Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3

Not sure if you're supporting older version but I can't seem to increase MTBF or gain flight experience. KSP 1.3.1 Baris 1.4.9

1.4.8 seems to work so I'll just go with that.

Edited by reducing
Update

On 3/25/2018 at 4:32 PM, captainradish said:

Just FYI, I discovered that if you use quotation marks in your names (like I do constantly) the integration doesn't work at all. It throws an error about invalid file names. If you use apostrophes instead, it seems to work properly.

Also, is it normal that I have a critical launch failure every launch? I have completed integration, but I have usually at least a tank failure if not a complete rocket shutdown every single launch. I know I'm really early in my career, but RL couldn't be THAT bad.

OK, this is getting ridiculous. I've set the difficulty to easy, I've fully integrated my ships to a max of 25 reliability, SOMETHING fails EVERY launch. This is not at all fun. I was hoping this would be something like a more involved version of DangIt, but it's just being frustrating. I don't want to eliminate launch failures because that's pretty much the whole point of this mod, but what on earth can I do to make my rockets generally more reliable?

Windows restricts usage of quotation marks in filenames so yes KSP can't create a craft file with it. You also cannot name your craft 'con' (without apostrophes) as Windows forbids to use that word as a file or directory name.

About launch failures.. I think its normal. Its like you've just started your rocket career - its obvious your rockets will fail over and over again. Thats my opinion. I've had many failures too during early career stage. Also 25 reliability is very low (with default BARIS settings). My parts are mostly 80 and failures are now much less often. Even so something with reliability 60 does fail sometimes.

I have one suggestion.  I had a heat shield leak ablator, and that seemed odd.  Now I'm not saying it shouldn't do that, the Space Shuttle would occasionally lose tiles after all.  Just that the wording of the warning message doesn't feel right.  I have no idea how hard it would be, but if it is possible maybe the message could read "heat shield is shedding ablator" or "heat shield has developed cracks" or something along those lines.

I am unable to put a vessel into integration. Is anyone else having this problem? When I press the Baris icon on the tool bar it shows me only the reliability rating. No way to place a vehicle into a bay.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let me just start off by saying I love this mod and everything that it does by itself. Thank you so much for making it. I've tried all the parts failure mods around and I like the experience that BARIS the most by far. That being said I play with KCT which I also love, and I love that this mod integrates with it but I do have one tiny thing that irks me about it. I may be alone in this but I truly hope you consider this as an alternative integration option.

I feel like KCT integrates with BARIS in a way that makes the integration feature of BARIS unnecessarily dichotomic with the construction aspect of KCT thus removing a feature of this mod I rather enjoy and simply replacing it with what I feel is a slightly different feature in KCT. In my eyes, integration and construction do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. I rather enjoy the option of investing additional time into a rocket to make it more reliable and I simply do not have that option in KCT. I also do not have the option of paying workers which not only makes multiple event cards meaningless in my save but also removes another valuable functionality of the mod as an additional resource sink. In my mind the perfect integration between the mods would be rather than making the user choose between only one or the other method, to simply append integration after KCT does the construction phase. To be more specific my view of integration would have KCT complete construction, then allow the option of undergoing integration instead of rolling out to the launch pad while the craft is in KCT's 'storage'. Integration would function as it does in BARIS without KCT except that after integration is completed the rocket would be returned to KCT storage with the reliability points altered as needed. If it is rolled out before integration is done, then it would instead function as if integration was not done. 

I understand this would probably require a complete rewrite of the KCT-BARIS interactions but I do feel it'd be a much welcome touch if only because I feel that KCT's time factor is more necessary as in building the rocket, while BARIS' time factor is separate and optional akin to stress-testing it and ensuring it functions as intended. Again thank you for making this amazing mod and for considering my humble suggestion for potential improvements.

EDIT: Also not sure if you're aware of this, but when KRASH is used with BARIS installed, KRASH simulations are always treated as if the vessel had not undergone integration which makes it difficult to use.

Edited by ThatOneBritishGuy...

Hello. Firts of all I want to thank you for your work on this mod. It's really fun. I started using it yesterday ina new career game.

The thing is, I have fails on pods and habitable parts disabled and fails on launches enabled.

I launched all the way out up to 80.000 altitude or so and made orbit. Then I did a reentry, once I was on the atmosphere I opened chutes and ¡bam! the pod failed. The mk1 pod. It did not explode and It landed correctly with the chutes. Jeb was alive. Sorry I have no logs right now. Is it intented behavior? Did it fail becouse it was considered launch becouse I did not reach certain altitude or something?

I have a bunch of other mods installed. I just want to know if it's suposed to be like that or if I should start looking for something conflicting with Baris.

Thanks!

Edited by Elkram

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

Are there engine failures that do something other than just keep the engine from running? I just had a KW engine fail, and it still ran, and seemed fine.

The throttle can jam, it can refuse to shut off, and it can explode either randomly or on demand after it failure to protect the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering this mod for my next career playthrough, so I downloaded it for KSP 1.4.5, read through the wiki/docs/KSPedia, but am unclear on which stats are affected by flight experience. (Note, I have correctly enabled the mod via the "parts break" option).

I put together a very basic Mk1 command pod/liquid engine rocket, flew it, landed, recovered, multiple times, but I never see any increases in quality for future uses of those same parts. I tried a static fire test too. Only through the test bench can I see an increase in stats.

I also never had any actual failures. I've only flown five missions or so with a very low number of parts, but I assumed very early game would have a very high failure rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Angel!

I have been using BARIS in my new career save since I finally move someplace where I can set up my computer again. I have been enjoying it quite a bit, and have actually bid farewell to Kerbal Construction Time for the first time in years. Great mod.

While working towards my pilot's license, I have researched some emergencies, and was wondering if you might integrate them into BARIS at some point. For example, the old stuck gear situation. Whether the gear refuses to retract or one refuses to extend, stuck landing gear in an aircraft is always a pretty intense situation, although one that can generally be handled by a competent pilot. I guess an engine bird strike or fod is already represented by engine power loss.